You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Woo

2 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

I know I said "Elon Musk isn't our friend", and when it comes to several issues I'm sure he isn't. At the same time I'm not convinced that Apple are doing this purely with our best interests in mind :

And maybe something good can come from this :

Why do people even consider that corporates are doing anything in their best interests?  It’s an incredibly naive viewpoint RP.  While I would tend to side with Apple in these spats, I’m under no illusion about their motivations 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

I know I said "Elon Musk isn't our friend", and when it comes to several issues I'm sure he isn't. At the same time I'm not convinced that Apple are doing this purely with our best interests in mind :

And maybe something good can come from this :

And no, nothing good will come of it

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

Musk is a cunt.

But if twitter is now getting censored/blocked on app stores, is that a win for "conspiracy theorists" and free speech advocates, who said all along that the US Liberal government officials were dictating Twitter policy? 

Im sure they’ll be winning all the way to the dole. 

Just now, stringvest said:

Im sure they’ll be winning all the way to the dole. 

Perhaps.

The point is they may have been correct about Twitter completely censoring anything the US government didn't want the public to hear. That's free speech suppression in layman's terms. Guess that's OK.

Just now, ZonkoVille77 said:

Perhaps.

The point is they may have been correct about Twitter completely censoring anything the US government didn't want the public to hear. That's free speech suppression in layman's terms. Guess that's OK.

How is it? Twitter isn't the be all and end all, the vast majority of the world doesn't even use it. You don't have an automatic right to 'free speech' on any technological platform or forum unless you build one yourself. You're always subject to the policies and whims of the platform holder and their moderation staff. No one's stopping you publishing your own blog or book or pamphlet or making public speeches or posts on your own online forum, but you don't get to say what you want on places like Twitter or Facebook because they're not yours.  In the same way, you don't get to enter someone's house and spout off views that are antithetical to the householder without being told to shut up or being kicked out. You can do it in your own house, but don't expect anyone to hang around for long if you're being a cunt.

3 minutes ago, Mudface said:

How is it? Twitter isn't the be all and end all, the vast majority of the world doesn't even use it. You don't have an automatic right to 'free speech' on any technological platform or forum unless you build one yourself. You're always subject to the policies and whims of the platform holder and their moderation staff. No one's stopping you publishing your own blog or book or pamphlet or making public speeches or posts on your own online forum, but you don't get to say what you want on places like Twitter or Facebook because they're not yours.  In the same way, you don't get to enter someone's house and spout off views that are antithetical to the householder without being told to shut up or being kicked out. You can do it in your own house, but don't expect anyone to hang around for long if you're being a cunt.

That's a hell of a long post to say you agree with censorship. Fair play. 

34 minutes ago, stringvest said:

Why do people even consider that corporates are doing anything in their best interests?  It’s an incredibly naive viewpoint RP.  While I would tend to side with Apple in these spats, I’m under no illusion about their motivations 

Some on the other hand that simply want to see Musk fail will probably be cheering them on. I don't mean mainly on here either, but that's probably the case for many on other sites including twitter. Musk has now thrown his lot in with Republicans so he's definitely lost a lot of fans and they want to see him pay.

33 minutes ago, stringvest said:

And no, nothing good will come of it

If US gov people were communicating with twitter staff on censorship related issues something good can come from it if that's also in those files. Musk's free speech thing might be partly an act with other motives in the background but this is definitely a problem. Governments are trying to manipulate parts of the internet and anything that can be revealed related to that could eventually help with any future reforms that prevent them from messing around to some extent.

1 hour ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

Perhaps.

My point is - why is this a surprise to anyone?  What alternative reality do people live in where they believe 'free speech' via a corporate channel is a thing?

1 hour ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

Perhaps.

The thing is there have been many accounts suspended over the last few weeks for very little reason, it seems. Musk appears to be a total hypocrite on this front.

He also mainly seems invested in pouring gas on the conspiracy fire because it pleases his ego, rather than relating any actual evidence to support his claims. 

Apple probably require certain ISO and moderation standards and are unsure twitter are currently capable of maintaining this having lost many staff. If the app poses a threat to its users, they'll take it down. 

38 minutes ago, stringvest said:

My point is - why is this a surprise to anyone?  What alternative reality do people live in where they believe 'free speech' via a corporate channel is a thing?

To be clear it's not the average Joe posting his opinion that's the issue. It's actual journalists, whistle-blowers etc. being censored that's the issue. Many would have had their "Blue Tick" and payed their subs for it, only to have their accounts censored at the behest of politician's leaning on a private company. The Wall Street Journal article I posted above shows that. Judging by Musk's tweet he also has information that shows the political class leaning on twitter in a manner that's unacceptable. I'll be interested to see what comes from that. 

To reiterate: Musk is a bellend.

28 minutes ago, Pidge said:

The thing is there have been many accounts suspended over the last few weeks for very little reason, it seems. Musk appears to be a total hypocrite on this front.

He also mainly seems invested in pouring gas on the conspiracy fire because it pleases his ego, rather than relating any actual evidence to support his claims.

I wouldn't dispute any of that. The man is a narcissistic twat. I'm more interested in the "goings-on" before he took over. For example, the amount of accounts and/or tweets by journalists and/or academics that were labelled "misinformation" at the behest of politician's. 

Hasn't twitter been banning left wing accounts lately (mainly at Musk and his followers behest) so the degree of hypocrisy in him rolling out the free speech card is high.

Though as far as I can see it everyone has degrees of this when it comes to free speech.

2 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

Isn’t the argument that Twitter has to

pay Apple to use its developer platform?  Like everyone else who sells through the Apple Store, but Musk wants special treatment because he’s tanked advertising revenue.  

Yep. The cuts have scared advertisers, because without decent moderation Twitter's basically a steroidal 4Chan. Unsurprisingly, nobody paying millions for their branding wants an ad alongside noncery and holocaust denial. Advertisers are spooked.

Musk seems to wants a subscriber model, and to do that you need to pay Apple their share. Epic Games had the same hissy fit when they wanted to keep more of the money. Everyone wants the platform of appearing on their App store, but the more successful they get the less they feel they should pay.

Musk hides behind free speech, but really he's into deregulation and a lack of accountability, like most billionaires.

• Upvote 6

Even if I wanted to read or regularly contribute to this thread it would take me a day and a half for the pages to load on my phone due to the amount of links and twitter feeds inserted into posts.

So I will just leave and say that I hope Musk goes bankrupt over Twitter and a former workers takeover buys it for a token dollar and runs it like a real information and message board service.*

*If the need any guidance a Mr Dave Usher can steer them in the right direction.*

This was in no way a plea for a free membership and purely for the public good.

2 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Even if I wanted to read or regularly contribute to this thread it would take me a day and a half for the pages to load on my phone due to the amount of links and twitter feeds inserted into posts.

So I will just leave and say that I hope Musk goes bankrupt over Twitter and a former workers takeover buys it for a token dollar and runs it like a real information and message board service.*

*If the need any guidance a Mr Dave Usher can steer them in the right direction.*

This was in no way a plea for a free membership and purely for the public good.

A good point. We should leave this one for Gnasher to post clips of parrots and park the Musk talk in the Tech Cunts thread.