You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Woo

I'm no Elon fanboy but the Dems can fuck off with this manipulation of social media and throwing toys out of their prams because one website isn't under their control. If they tried actually helping people more instead of all of this authoritarian shite maybe they wouldn't have to manipulate so much of the internet and media and more people would naturally support them.

• Upvote 1

Maybe an alternative to Apple and Google would be good at this stage, or several of them. I don't trust Musk but it's clear his actions can restore some type of balance to twitter, at least in the short term.

It be good if a site like Mastodon was more user friendly too. I tried it years ago but I didn't find enough people on there, maybe over time that can change too, especially if so many are going over there now with this twitter drama. The main plus point for me personally is that it's decentralised. Might give it another go soon.

“There is growing evidence that the legislative and executive branch officials are using social media companies to engage in censorship by surrogate,” said Jonathan Turley, a professor of law at George Washington University, who has written about the lawsuit. “It is axiomatic that the government cannot do indirectly what it is prohibited from doing directly. If government officials are directing or facilitating such censorship, it raises serious First Amendment questions.”

During the 2020 election, the Department of Homeland Security, in an email to an official at Twitter, forwarded information about a potential threat to critical U.S. infrastructure, citing FBI warnings, in this case about an account that could imperil election system integrity.

The Twitter user in question had 56 followers, along with a bio that read “dm us your weed store locations (hoes be mad, but this is a parody account),” under a banner image of Blucifer, the 32-foot-tall demonic horse sculpture featured at the entrance of the Denver International Airport.

“We are not sure if there’s any action that can be taken, but we wanted to flag them for consideration,” wrote a state official on the email thread, forwarding on other examples of accounts that could be confused with official government entities. The Twitter representative responded: “We will escalate. Thank you.”

Each email in the chain carried a disclaimer that the agency “neither has nor seeks the ability to remove or edit what information is made available on social media platforms.”

That tagline, however, concerns free speech advocates, who note that the agency is attempting to make an end run around the First Amendment by exerting continual pressure on private sector social media firms. “When the government suggests things, it’s not too hard to pull off the velvet glove, and you get the mail fist,” said Adam Candeub, a professor of law at Michigan State University. “And I would consider such actions, especially when it’s bureaucratized, as essentially state action and government collusion with the platforms.”

“If a foreign authoritarian government sent these messages,” noted Nadine Strossen, the former president of the American Civil Liberties Union, “there is no doubt we would call it censorship.”

From the end of here : Truth Cops - Leaked Documents Outline DHS’s Plans to Police Disinformation

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

He is bigly smart:

Twitter has lost 50 of its top 100 advertisers since Elon Musk took over, report says

https://www.npr.org/2022/11/25/1139180002/twitter-loses-50-top-advertisers-elon-musk

Isn’t this his intention though? To move away from a model generating revenue by relentlessly mining of customer data for advertisers. Whether it works or not is anyones guess at this point but don’t see the issue with the direction it’s heading at the moment.

Musk is a prick (that Thai diver stuff was embarrassing), but I do find it odd how he seems to ignite a certain reaction from liberals not to dissimilar to Trump. There’s been a real sense of desperation for him to fail at every opportunity with this.

Musk making out he's a proponent of free speech is laughable. He's a rich cunt who is able to do what he wants almost consequence-free. He has no clue what power words can do to people lower down the food chain. In fact, I'd go as far to say he has no real idea what free speech is. You can say what you want but be prepared for the consequences of your words.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Gooch said:

Isn’t this his intention though? To move away from a model generating revenue by relentlessly mining of customer data for advertisers. Whether it works or not is anyones guess at this point but don’t see the issue with the direction it’s heading at the moment.

Musk is a prick (that Thai diver stuff was embarrassing), but I do find it odd how he seems to ignite a certain reaction from liberals not to dissimilar to Trump. There’s been a real sense of desperation for him to fail at every opportunity with this.

People like seeing hubristic knobheads fail. Who knew?

1 hour ago, Jack the Sipper said:

I'm no Elon fanboy but...

I don't trust Musk but...

I'm not in favour of democracy-denying far right thugs storming Capitol Hill to overturn an election result but...

I'm no Elon fanboy but the Dems have tried to censor their political opponents for years.

I don't trust Musk but the Biden admin tried to create their Orwellian Disinformation Governance Board and then carried on the bullshit after that effort caved, and if they hadn't maybe Musk wouldn't have felt the need to buy the site and maybe twitter would still have its previous owners.

I'm not in favour of democracy-denying far right thugs storming Capitol Hill to overturn an election result but the FBI also had knowledge of and informants inside groups that stormed the Capitol but did nothing. They can't reveal what they know though because "sources and methods".

I said I didn't trust Musk and for good reason, here's an example : Elon Musk Bans CrimethInc. from Twitter at the Urging of Far-Right Troll

This is now Elon Musk, someone who openly supports Republicans for the next election, banning left wing accounts that get suggested to him in tweets.

Where was everybody when the right wing accounts were getting banned though for over the top reasons? Why does it only matter now? It's now come full circle back to the left and it probably won't be much fun. Maybe if we don't like it we can go elsewhere though right? That's what the right got told after Trump got banned. Or maybe a bunch of self-serving rich twats that support the Democrats' agenda can just get twitter shut down instead. Where were we when people that said things about Covid got banned but were later proven right? Did they get an apology? Did they get their accounts back? The disinformation industry that's supposed to protect us is largely a scam.

Elon Musk isn't our friend. Rich Democrats that create Disinformation Governance Boards aren't our friends. And of course Republicans will try to do the same if they get in power at the next election and they won't be our friends. Maybe decentralised sites like Mastodon are best after all.