You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Is the title gone now?

As others have said, if we can find the balance we'll be some team.

I spent the first 20 minutes of the second half last night agog at the power, pace and dominance on show.

Crushing machine, that.

I agree. IMO, no team in world football could cope with us when are playing like that. Add one or two other international or world class players to that group and get the balance right in defence when we are attacking and its looking good.

My wife says I say this every year, but if we dont do it this year we WILL do it next year.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think its been the little things. In 05/6 we had a good home record, a decent away and went on two long unbeaten runs. In 06/7 we had a shite away record and a good home record. Last season and this, our home form has let us down, and our away form has been pretty decent. We have shown a will to win (even when playing poorly at the start of the season) and if we could get all the positives from the previous few seasons together we would be there. So I think the main problem we have is consistency as all the ingredients are there, which is heartening and frustrating at the same time.

Not sure if any of that makes sense. I know what I wanted to say, so I hope its come across as intended.

Yeah I know what you're saying. It just frustrates me that it's something we have the ability to alter, which may have cost us. Just look at the Stoke away game; we hardly pushed at all for a winner but those two points would be so handy right now.

Next season we have to be braver, for longer.

I agree. IMO, no team in world football could cope with us when are playing like that. Add one or two other international or world class players to that group and get the balance right in defence when we are attacking and its looking good.

My wife says I say this every year, but if we dont do it this year we WILL do it next year.

And without our best player too.

My wife says the same.

i think it is over. i was full of confidence thinking we could win all our last 6 games, but we looked dead on our feet when they went 3v2 up. Fair play we came back and got a draw, but i can see last night really knocking the lads for 6.

I will not concede anything to them until the maths say it will not happen.

I quite often enjoy keeping quiet about such things.

Take for instance the 4-1 destruction of them at their place. All week at work I heard nothing but United will crush/flatten/maim/destroy you and so on. A lad who I play Poker with was even stupid enough to text me on the Friday before saying where he would be when "United beat the Scouse Bastards".

Needless to say I wore a huge smile for the next week and an even bigger one the week after when they fucked up at Fulham.

United will drop points and we have shown they are far from invincible. I fancy City and Arsenal to do whats required and Portsmouth to stiffle them.

Looks like it, doesn't it? The same way it looked like the Mancs would batter everyone - then we hammered them, Fulham beat them, and they struggle to get late winners.

Who could possibly imagine Chelsea 4 Liverpool 4, or Liverpool 4 Arsenal 4?

I doubt we'll do it - but the last few weeks have been so manic that anything could happen.

So - NO, it's not over.

Crouchie and Robbie Keane are waiting for them.

Im baffled as to what gkmacca is arguing for/against.

The kind of witless gibbering you get on phone-ins and forums when people are trying to hide from their own disappointment and frustration behind a completely specious certainty. One can either look to precedent - but at best this merely assumes that enough imponderables will reconnect to replicate the past occurrences - or claim to look into the future (usually without any coherent sense of how nerves, pressure, possible injuries, suspensions and god knows what else will intervene and interconnect to affect each performance). Neither is really delivering the answer one wants, although the attempt to do so usually provokes heated clashes between different groups claiming to know what they can't know. Okay?

The kind of witless gibbering you get on phone-ins and forums when people are trying to hide from their own disappointment and frustration behind a completely specious certainty. One can either look to precedent - but at best this merely assumes that enough imponderables will reconnect to replicate the past occurrences - or claim to look into the future (usually without any coherent sense of how nerves, pressure, possible injuries, suspensions and god knows what else will intervene and interconnect to affect each performance). Neither is really delivering the answer one wants, although the attempt to do so usually provokes heated clashes between different groups claiming to know what they can't know. Okay?

Brilliant.

What if the scum drop points tonight? Let's assume a draw. Then we're in the same position as before the Arsenal game.

People will then say, "we could have narrowed the gap", but in another way, perhaps Arsenal getting a draw means the scum approach the game differently.

It's definately not over. I agree that if they win their next two, psychologically, things will look a lot bleaker for us.

However, I hope our lads continue performing as they have been, and that way we'll have a great chance of getting maximum points. If that's not enough, hats off to the fuckers.

Btw, I watched the game with John Barnes last night. He's a top Red and a top bloke. He's enjoying being unbeaten with Jamaica, and has a lot of faith in Rafa and this current set of players.

He doesn't believe it's over yet, so neither should any of you.

Common Pompey!

It's more or less over, yes. If they win these two home games, it's 99% gone. However, if we win all 5 games you never know, funny things happen. Priorty now is to ensure we finish second (which is in our hands) and see if that means we finish first.

A Pompey win would be handy... I can't get excited until tis in our hands. The Macheda goal v Villa could prove to be the most important moment in the race IMO. 10 minutes to go in that game and i thought it could happen... Now, im not so sure...

But, theres always next season