You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Tory MP aims to woo Liverpool voters by applauding 'role model' Gary Neville

JER

Thought this one deserved a thread of his own

Good to see the Tories have got their street credibility problem in check

The Manchester United captain, who famously “can’t stand Liverpool people”, was hailed by MP Chris Grayling in a speech to the home affairs committee.

“I have spent time on the streets of Toxteth with some very good youth workers, who told me that kids are growing up without any parental guidance at home,” said Mr Grayling. “If I was to pick a good role model, it would be Gary Neville, an estimable professional over a long period of time,” he added.

Related Articles

Gerrard keen to extend deal

Arbeloa: Bigger than The Beatles

New kit designs for big four

Tories label Gordon Brown a liar and coward

David Cameron's welfare proposals are sound

Tories pledge to end police 'caution culture'

Speaking about ideas to tackle gang life and knife crime, Mr Grayling singled out Newcastle’s Joey Barton - a Scouser - as someone who has set the wrong type of example for young people.

Described by the Liverpool Echo as a Manchester United fan, Grayling has been appointed by Conservative leader David Cameron to revive the Tories’ fortunes on Merseyside.

Grayling has lobbied for industrial contracts to be awarded to Liverpool companies, but his admiration for Neville will win him few friends in the city.

Neville may have been articulating a widely-held view when he said “I can’t stand Liverpool, I can’t stand Liverpool people, I can’t stand anything to do with them.”

But those comments, and his ostentatious celebrations in front of Liverpool fans following United’s victory over Liverpool at Old Trafford in 2006, have helped cement his hate-figure status at Anfield.

Neville ran half the length of the pitch to celebrate Rio Ferdinand’s winner in front of the travelling fans, and was fined £5,000 by the FA for improper conduct.

You can't continue to blame the Tories for what Thatcher did. The lot that are in at the moment have done far more damage to the whole country and can't be held responsible for her vendetta.

Having said that. What was schoolboy Cameron thinking to send such a dick to an area that has deep rooted hatred of blue politics?

what does this bit mean:

Neville may have been articulating a widely-held view when he said “I can’t stand Liverpool, I can’t stand Liverpool people, I can’t stand anything to do with them.”

probably means he doesnt hate liverpool because of some personal vendetta, just cos he's a manc twat who thinks shittly "MUFC" hedges make him look cool to thick united fans.

what does this bit mean:

Didn't you know? EVERYBODY hates us robbing dole-ites, you know!

“I have spent time on the streets of Toxteth with some very good youth workers, who told me that kids are growing up without any parental guidance at home,” said Mr Grayling. “If I was to pick a good role model, it would be Gary Neville, an estimable professional over a long period of time,” he added.

Any reference to parental guidance in respect of a member of the Neville clan is an allusion to incest isn't it. Is he suggesting that if the kids of Toxteth were subject to incestuous advances from their parents they'd be more rounded individuals and would make a better contribution to society?

I'm thinking that's not a vote winner anywhere, let alone in Liverpool.