You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I seem to remember a lot of people finding this very funny only a short time ago. Maybe it's the guilty conscience kicking in when they read in print what they've been thinking themselves. Maybe it's just double-standards.

Also, seems to me like a lot of the issues people have with the sports press is created by the clubs themselves. It's fucking outrageous the way some clubs behave, banning journos who've written something they don't approve of. How are you supposed to cover a club when they don't even let you talk to the players or manager? No wonder they decide to keep a lid on controversial stuff.

Top stuff from JK. I've gone from being ambivalent about him to loving him. I don't see why he has to take shit from journalists who have fuck all knowledge about what goes on within the game.

Yeah I bet Kinnear himself is 100% up to date on todays world of football.

As a general rule, they treat their readers like adults. They sometimes even use long words.

It made my day to read this. Joe Kinnear has finally said what I've always secretly hoped a high profile manager would say. Sports journalists are cunts to a man.

The Guardian as a paper might treat its readers like adults, but the footy section is like a lad's mag. Fucking Glendenning and Smyth are hopeless. Their MBM games are just embarrassing. No pretence at balanced journalism, little-kid-like jokes "Northern Ireland (nil)" the "Popes O'Rangers" - they lost all respect from me a long time ago.

It's only a couple of journalists that have any ability whatseover - Sid Low, for example, maybe a couple of others.

The Guardian's footy section is what happens when people who are not funny try to be funny. It's like that scene from Good Morning Vietnam when Lt Hauk replaces Cronauer. "I know funny". I half expect that twat Glendenning to start playing polka. And if you want a SERIOUS anti-Liverpool agenda, look no further than the Manchester Guardian.

Sorry. Rant over.

He's a joke and so is NUFC now. I feel for their supporters, they are a laughing stock now.

Why would anyone feel for their supporters? They're part of the problem, they expect instant success with every new manager, player and summer. They sacked Allardyce because of supporter pressure in his first few months too.

I've just listened to the audio and it's fucking brilliant. I tell you what though, you notice how even the Guardian haven't reported the bit where he says that the papers reported he met Wise in a pub and sorted it out there, which was complete fiction, and one of the reporters says to him "You know how it is Joe" thus confirming what complete hacks the sport writers are. They'll freely admit to just inventing shit to fill column inches.

He ruled in that press conference.

"...and Dennis Wise was never in the fucking crazy gang, you want to get your facts right...you are journalists aren't you?"

Why would anyone feel for their supporters? They're part of the problem, they expect instant success with every new manager, player and summer. They sacked Allardyce because of supporter pressure in his first few months too.

bang on that.

i thought kinnear was great, but i also suspect as he's part of the cockney mafia he is just ripping the shit out of the geordie fans. ashley tried for venables because he wanted the widest cockney money could buy, when that failed, he's had a go to get kinnear so the old wimbledon spirit can come to newcastle. i think wise, ashley and kinnear are just ripping the shit out of the geordies and are happy to watch them be humiliated as they all know their days are numbered.

bang on that.

i thought kinnear was great, but i also suspect as he's part of the cockney mafia he is just ripping the shit out of the geordie fans. ashley tried for venables because he wanted the widest cockney money could buy, when that failed, he's had a go to get kinnear so the old wimbledon spirit can come to newcastle. i think wise, ashley and kinnear are just ripping the shit out of the geordies and are happy to watch them be humiliated as they all know their days are numbered.

of course they are. It's not impossible to see how we could have been in exactly the same position with Klinsmann in the director of football position and Arena managing the team.

I've got a lot of sympathy for the point he's making, but by making it in the way he did, all he's done is make his club look an even bigger shambles than they did before he spoke. He should have just fired off solicitor's letters saying, "See you in court". He obviously feels he's got nothing to lose as I doubt he thought he'd return to football prior to this and probably thinks he'll stay out afterwards. This is a cathartic, score settling exercise that would be fine if it wasn't just his own name he was representing. Once again his joke of a club is in the headlines for comical reasons.

Whilst I'm all for bashing shitty tabloid journalists, Kinnear hasn't done himself any favours there. He opens well, but then gets his arse handed to him.

If you are going to do this, and I think more managers should, then you have to go in prepared, and he was anything but. If he was going to make reference to articles he should have had them, and any quotes from them, to hand. He should have known exactly which paper and which date he was referring to. By not doing so, he allowed them to pick him off.

And he doesn't seem to understand that because he's a temporary and bizzare appointment they don't need to establish a relationship with him, so they were always going to give him some stick. Doubly so now he's opened his mouth.