You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Divorce - pros & cons?

Lurtz

Just put my life insurance into trust for my kids and took her off as a beneficiary of my pension death in service payout. Petty I know, but cathartic all the same.

Important step to make mate, you'll never be happy hanging on for something that won't happen, (or if it's not too forward, shouldn't happen) in getting back together. Head up, go find stuff you enjoy, that's fun, and makes you happy, even just for little bits at a time. Embrace old hobbies you had to give up.

One thing I always try and remember is that we rarely know what's best for us. Whether its's that new job, relationship etc. We tell ourselves these stories about what we want and why, but often when we live the 'dream' it falls short. You might end up meeting someone new and being filled with a youthful romance all over again. Who knows?

• Upvote 2

Just put my life insurance into trust for my kids and took her off as a beneficiary of my pension death in service payout. Petty I know, but cathartic all the same.

Just like the others have said, not petty at all. Brave and positive, I'd say. Taking back a bit of control of your life.

Have you got a will that needs amending?

No matter how lonely, sticking your wood in the fire is likely not the best way of warming it up.

Also, I have a question.

Are all women emotionless, heartless beasts? They are supposed to be the emotional ones - yet most of the ones I have known are capable of the most heartless acts and words no remorse.

Maybe it's just where I live now, or the age bracket (40-50) but the dozen or so women I've been out with do share some common characteristics. Bear in mind all of them are off match or pof.

Way to high expectations of what a relationship will be.

Have no idea what they want but inevitably think something better is around the corner.

Every one says communication and honesty is the key but try getting an answer out of them....you are literally left to try and guess what they are thinking or want.

Sadly and this surprised me the most but the two that I ended up with longer than three months were openly racist, I'm not sure if they even knew what they were saying and thinking was wrong.

A woman never forgets and they will all tell you they have moved on but without fail if you drive by some landmark or a song comes on the radio there will be a snort and ...this was Franks favourite song the asshole or this is the street where we built out our house and then the fucker moved out and took the furniture, etc..

I have a few workmates same age same boat and their experiences are similar. I'm sure their are some wonderful women out there and most blokes knkw when they have a keeper and treat her as such so why would she leave? What's then left is the bitter and spiteful ones, the nutters, the gingers and one's that have no fucking clue what they want.

• Upvote 1

And pension as well, I know over here in Canada I'm entitled to 30% of my ex-wifes pension because she was the one with full time guarantee and pension, and made four times what I did.

Told her I was going to spend it on Filipina women and Heineken.

You owe it to her to provide photographic evidence.

Somehow I had missed this thread and have been reading the past few minutes to catch up. Sorry to hear of the heartache a few of you are going through. 

It might seem oddly placed in this thread, but I want to speak a word on behalf of a happy marriage. Last week Mrs G and I celebrated our 20th wedding anniversary. We spend a lot of our time together, but at the same time we are not in each others pockets - she has friends and interests, as do I, and I think that's normal. Our house is a home, and we are raising our two kids together here. I have a vision of the kids being grown and coming back here to see us one day with their own kids. I don't know if that will happen, but I hope it does. I love and respect Mrs G and I want to be with her for the rest of my life just as much as I ever did when we were first married. 

• Upvote 3

Somehow I had missed this thread and have been reading the past few minutes to catch up. Sorry to hear of the heartache a few of you are going through.

It might seem oddly placed in this thread, but I want to speak a word on behalf of a happy marriage. Last week Mrs G and I celebrated our 20th wedding anniversary. We spend a lot of our time together, but at the same time we are not in each others pockets - she has friends and interests, as do I, and I think that's normal. Our house is a home, and we are raising our two kids together here. I have a vision of the kids being grown and coming back here to see us one day with their own kids. I don't know if that will happen, but I hope it does. I love and respect Mrs G and I want to be with her for the rest of my life just as much as I ever did when we were first married.

Is right Padre. That's beautiful.

I recently celebrated my first.

• Upvote 1

A ray of sunshine Rev.

But be honest, copping 30% of her pension and ending up in a sketchy area of Manilla with some cold Heinekens and hot Filipina women does sound appealing?

The one thing now that bothers me, and probably the only thing now is if I think aboot it, is the grandkids thing; my eldest plans on having kids in a couple of years and the whole Grandad and Nan thing is kiboshed.

• Upvote 1

A ray of sunshine Rev.

But be honest, copping 30% of her pension and ending up in a sketchy area of Manilla with some cold Heinekens and hot Filipina women does sound appealing?

The one thing now that bothers me, and probably the only thing now is if I think aboot it, is the grandkids thing; my eldest plans on having kids in a couple of years and the whole Grandad and Nan thing is kiboshed.

I can see the appeal! On a serious note, when you posted a couple of pages ago about being out in the woods, and the fire, and the cold beer, and the milky way about to come out, I was transported right there in my mind. Divorce found you a couple of years ago, but it hasn't defined your life. You sound as though you are doing well, and were it not for the distance, I'd love to drink a cold beer with you and talk crap about life and football in the setting you described. 

• Upvote 1

I can see the appeal! On a serious note, when you posted a couple of pages ago about being out in the woods, and the fire, and the cold beer, and the milky way about to come out, I was transported right there in my mind. Divorce found you a couple of years ago, but it hasn't defined your life. You sound as though you are doing well, and were it not for the distance, I'd love to drink a cold beer with you and talk crap about life and football in the setting you described.

Autumn is the best time of year for being out in the woods; the bugs are not as bad, the leaves are changing, it cools off at night so the campfire actually keeps you warm as well as bieng great to look at.

Had a visitor last night though after I posted, after awhie you can tell what the rustles are in the underbrush and this was not big (i.e. bear or deer or worse a moose) but not small like a squirrel or rabbit; I turned around and shone my phone and just about shat because the tell tale sign of the black pudgy waddling critter with a white Peppy LePeu stripe was aboot ten feet away....thank fuck the bastard didn't startle and wandered away.

Was a brilliant night, so quiet.

• Upvote 1

Autumn is the best time of year for being out in the woods; the bugs are not as bad, the leaves are changing, it cools off at night so the campfire actually keeps you warm as well as bieng great to look at.

Had a visitor last night though after I posted, after awhie you can tell what the rustles are in the underbrush and this was not big (i.e. bear or deer or worse a moose) but not small like a squirrel or rabbit; I turned around and shone my phone and just about shat because the tell tale sign of the black pudgy waddling critter with a white Peppy LePeu stripe was aboot ten feet away....thank fuck the bastard didn't startle and wandered away.

Was a brilliant night, so quiet.

Autumn is totally my favourite season.