You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

I don't think I've ever watched a film I thought was 10/10.

Agree.

My favourite films of all time Godfather 1 and 2 would be 9.5/9.7 out of 10 at best.

There should never ever be a 10/10 as its impossible.

As it should be in Gymnastics or Ice Skating until the Yanks and Russians started cheating at it,and others have copied since.

Sicario, 8/10, really liked it. Interestingly done and thought Emily Blunt was really good, never really noticed her in anything before.

Terminator, 7/10. Still boss, bits of the effects look dated, but it's still a damn good watch

Terminator 2. 7/10 Likewise.

Terminator Genisys, 0/10 couldn't get beyond the first 15 minutes, Connor and Reese talking to each other in badly acted shitty dialogue that made me instantly realise this was going to pan out to be total and utter shit.

Once Upon A Time In The West 8/10, first time I've ever seen it, Sergio Leone, Ennio Morricone, need I say more?  

• Upvote 1

Agree.

My favourite films of all time Godfather 1 and 2 would be 9.5/9.7 out of 10 at best.

As it should be in Gymnastics or Ice Skating until the Yanks and Russians started cheating at it,and others have copied since.

Seems odd saying it's impossible to give a 10/10 then come with a random 9.7/10. What cancels out the .5 or .3 in Godfather?

Ratings are subjective. I personally feel that if a film has a great script, cast, location etc it should be given the highest possible mark. In Bruges for example is set in a great location with beautiful visuals. The cast is brilliantly selected along with an extremely witty script and it doesn't drag on.

Based on your rating would that be a 9.7 just because 10/10 is impossible?

Seems odd saying it's impossible to give a 10/10 then come with a random 9.7/10. What cancels out the .5 or .3 in Godfather?

Ratings are subjective. I personally feel that if a film has a great script, cast, location etc it should be given the highest possible mark. In Bruges for example is set in a great location with beautiful visuals. The cast is brilliantly selected along with an extremely witty script and it doesn't drag on.

Based on your rating would that be a 9.7 just because 10/10 is impossible?

If you like it a lot then yes it could be 9 or 9. something score.

A perfect ten should not exist.

If you like it a lot then yes it could be 9 or 9. something score.

A perfect ten should not exist.

There are so many things that exist in life and the universe that are absolutely perfect. Even counting for the perceived 'imperfections'. Obviously it's a subjective matter but there is plenty of art that I would rate as perfect, even though others may not agree or see flaws that spoils their enjoyment of said art.

Bridge of Spies

Tom Hanks is in prime Hanks form. Mark Rylance is good too.

Spielberg belabors the point massively towards the end, but I suppose he feels he has to for the mainstream American audience. I also prefer a bit more convolution and tension in a spy film. Decent though. 7/10

• Upvote 1

Agreed for some of us. I think we're being overly perfectionist, but I have the same view I think. I might rate a film or two 10/10 eventually, but that'll be because I like the style and the way it's made enough, not because it's perfect. I don't think 10/10 ratings mean it's perfect though, just that like already said, people like the style, or the way the film has been made so much.

There's just so much put into a film that could be changed, but I consider something like The Matrix almost close enough (I think I rated it about 9.5 last time I saw it), and am willing to forget points that I would've dropped because what's good stands out so much. I suppose it depends on how it makes you feel at the end. If you're truly blown away by it, some of the flaws matter less.

I easily pleased with films. Take my mind off life for 90mins and im happy. Plenty of films worthy of 10s imo. If im locked into the story and cant take my eyes off the screen its getting a 9 or 10 even if its not perfect.

10s

The Indiana Jones Trilogy (there is no 4th film)

Original Star Wars trilogy

The good,the bad and the ugly

A fish called wanda

Life of Brian

The Holy Grail

Rocky

Rambo first blood

The Godfather 1/2

Goodfellas

The Hateful Eight - 5/10

Probably the worst Tarantino movie barre Kill Bill volume 2. The first hour could of been explained in a couple of minutes and although there are some good set pieces throughout the film and moments of great dialogue, it ultimately falls short of building on it in any meaningful way. In parts good, in parts boring, ultimately average. 

That's Tarantino all over now, he can still chuck stuff in like the scene in the cabin in Inglorious Bastards but he needs someone to edit him.

All his films now seem to be a series of unconnected set pieces that he then trys to drag together but then becomes over long.

I like Inglorious a lot despite it being a overlong but I really couldn't get into Django, even the set pieces just didn't work for me in that, I genuinely think if anyone else had made Django it would have been absolutely slated by most people.

• Upvote 2

Just tried The Hateful 8 and I had to give up after an hour. It just didn't engage me at all, it's not funny, it doesn't have anything to suggest it's meant to be a drama, was just finding myself totally bored by it. 

Whatever that film has that appeals to the critics and the people who've watched it and loved it totally bypasses me. 

• Upvote 1