You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

David Dein leaves Arsenal

cmcmahon

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/a/arsenal/6569561.stm

The link to a bit more of the story.

This is really a very interesting story developing

My Gooner mate was telling me Arsenal are struggling for cash which he doesnt quite understand with the new stadium, the increase in prices and the additional revenue the club have meant to have generated this season.

However there does seem to be a clash at Arsenal the Dein's of this world seeing the only way for Arsenal to compete with the top 3 is basically to get substanstial funds into the club and sell out like Liverpool and the old school who have absolutely no intention of doing a Liverpool and selling out.

I think its really very interesting to see over the next few years who is actually right Liverpool selling there soul or Arsenal piss off you yankie barstards approach.

I admire Arsenal for there stance time will tell which club got it right

Watch this space

Why is our take over described as selling our soul?

Thats how I felt about it at the time but no one knows for sure if the new owners will keep LFC unique, so far first impression are much better than than I thought possible but unfortunately only time will tell if the best traditions and history of the club are kept intact by our new Owners

Probably the two classiest clubs with real tradition and history taking different approaches to the chalenge that modern day football has given them and it will be interesting to see what happens over the next 5 years or so

I hear he quit because of them selling Henry to us.
LOL

Also wondering what would have happened with out take over if Moores hadnt owned the majority of the shares, its seems in the Arsenal example the directors have to work together and make decisons together because no one person has overall controll

Guest PaddyBerger15

Hmmmmm, interesting times indeed.

David Dein has done a good job at Arsenal and they are a proper club, well run with more than a semblance of dignity....there has been longstanding respect between our 2 clubs and supporters.

Its the other way round Cath. He was all for a takeover, the other board members arent.

Yes, but the other board members won't be able to hang onto their parochial no-takeover-here policy much longer. Everyone has their price.

Yes, but the other board members won't be able to hang onto their parochial no-takeover-here policy much longer. Everyone has their price.

the 3 directors who control 45% of the club dont need the money, there filthy rich all ready, have made an agreement not to sell

Thats how I felt about it at the time but no one knows for sure if the new owners will keep LFC unique, so far first impression are much better than than I thought possible but unfortunately only time will tell if the best traditions and history of the club are kept intact by our new Owners

Probably the two classiest clubs with real tradition and history taking different approaches to the chalenge that modern day football has given them and it will be interesting to see what happens over the next 5 years or so

I think its really very interesting to see over the next few years who is actually right Liverpool selling there soul or Arsenal piss off you yankie barstards approach.

Why the fuck do you then need to turn your post into News of the World crap material? Un fucking real.

EDIT: In another thread you are talking about wanting to be a commentator, if the above is your standard of commentating, I seriously hope they get someone else.

Good luck mate, I should have been a comentator so any intro would be very useful.

My first ever Journo report was Liverpool 2-0 QPR and McCormack (what a great little player by the way) and Toshack got the goals.

David Dein to join Chelsea, taking Wenger with him.

Kenyon to join West Ham, taking Fat Fwank with him.

Arsenal to take Curbs on as boss.

Mourinho to take over at Man Utd.

Michael Owen to get player-manager role at Arsenal.

Or something.

Seriously I wouldn't be surprised to see the new owners find a role for Dein at Anfield.

The rest of the board have signed an agreement that they wont sell their shares for at least a year, reading between the lines I'd say its obvious Dein wanted to sell his stake to this American fella

The Arsenal will be Yank owned in a couple of years

the 3 directors who control 45% of the club dont need the money, there filthy rich all ready, have made an agreement not to sell

Agreed not to sell for 12 months, same time as the housing development at Highbury will be finished and ready for market. Just speculating but maybe they think they'll get a better price in 12 months time whereas Dein wanted to cash his 50 mill in now and he'd been promised the CEO role by the new guy plus extras if he could make it happen, it'll come out bit by bit.

I think there is more to it... the fact Dein and Wenger are close, but if reading all the reports... Dein in favour of buyout, Wenger doesn't want foriegn ownership... something doesn't add up to me.

If Dein sells his stake for the £62m suggested (14%), then Stan the man would have over 26%...not long before he gets a few more to sell to him and he will be a majority shareholder...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/a/arsenal/6569561.stm

The link to a bit more of the story.

This is really a very interesting story developing

My Gooner mate was telling me Arsenal are struggling for cash which he doesnt quite understand with the new stadium, the increase in prices and the additional revenue the club have meant to have generated this season.

However there does seem to be a clash at Arsenal the Dein's of this world seeing the only way for Arsenal to compete with the top 3 is basically to get substanstial funds into the club and sell out like Liverpool and the old school who have absolutely no intention of doing a Liverpool and selling out.

I admire Arsenal for there stance time will tell which club got it right

Watch this space

Was at Aintree on Saturday, and apart from having a chat to Robbie (and a piccie, how sad Am I) I was with a couple of Arsenal fans who know Dein. Apparantly, Fischman (Major Shareholder) has been playing up lately as he's fed up off being the real money behind the club and Dein getting the credit. He was previously happy in the background, but Deins recently raised profile andthe credit he's got for the Emirates and for the team generally has caused a rift.

I think Dein is selling up to the Yank, which will leave Fishman in a difficult position.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/a/arsenal/6574129.stm

The end of Arsenal as we know it ?

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has vowed to see out his contract, despite the shock departure of vice-chairman David Dein.

Wenger worked closely with Dein, who left the club after "irreconcilable differences" with other board members.

But he said: "I will complete my contract so I am going to stay here until 2008. I will continue to give my best as I always have.

"If this had not happened, people would not be asking me these questions about my contract. I committed to that."

Wenger paid a rich tribute to Dein, and admitted he may now appoint a director of football to take over the key role the former director played in transfers and contracts.

He said: "We have lost a man of class, intelligence and competence who made a great contribution to this club.

"It is a disappointment and a big loss. David always at heart had the best interest of the club.

"Even if I am very sad it is important to keep the best interest of the club in mind.

"We have many young players and I want to develop this team and go as high up as we can. I don't want speculation; you could talk about the consequences a lot."

Wenger insisted he is happy to work alongside the current board: "I am confident. The history of this club makes me think they have trusted David and myself to make decisions on important issues.

"We had a great partnership but now we have to focus on tomorrow."

Asked if he had turned his thoughts towards a new football director coming in, the Frenchman added: "I have to think about that problem and what is the best solution.

"I will need some help but I do not really know at the moment. It is important the stability is maintained and it will be."

Arsenal chairman Peter Hill-Wood, meanwhile, has hit out at the American influence on the Premiership and moved to fight any potential takeover at the club.

Vice-chairman Dein left the club as US billionaire Stan Kroenke bought a 9.9% interest in Arsenal.

Hill-Wood said: "Why don't we want the American at our club? Call me old-fashioned, but we don't need his money and we don't want his sort.

"Our objective is keep Arsenal English, albeit with a lot of foreign players."

Aston Villa, Liverpool and Manchester United have been bought by American owners, but Hill-Wood is determined Arsenal will not fall into US hands.

He said: "Americans are buying up chunks of the Premiership football clubs and not because of their love of football but because they see an opportunity to make money.

"They know absolutely sweet FA about our football and we don't want these type of people involved."

Wenger attended an Arsenal board meeting on Thursday.

Earlier on Thursday Arsenal chairman Hill-Wood had reassured fans that Wenger would stay at the club.

"The relationship that Arsene has with the board is good," said Hill-Wood.

"He is on contract until 2008 and we hope he will extend beyond that."

Hill-Wood added: "It's well known that Arsene and David have got on very well over the past 10 years and I am certain that Arsene will miss him."

Dein, 63, who holds 14% of shares in the parent company of the Gunners, will cease to be a director after leaving because of differences concerning the direction and ownership at the club.

He was thought to be in favour of Kroenke's involvement, and that has put him at odds with Hill-Wood.

But the chairman has been keen to stress that Dein's departure was not due to a lack of transfer funds available to Wenger.

"We've always made funds available to Arsene, he attends the board meetings, he understands the financial position," said Hill-Wood.

"I can assure supporters that we will continue to provide funds when Arsene requires them.

"We have a very good squad - young, maybe, but developing well - and if Arsene wants to strengthen it we have the money to provide him with any reasonable purchases he wants to make."

EDIT: In another thread you are talking about wanting to be a commentator, if the above is your standard of commentating, I seriously hope they get someone else.

Maybe he's aiming to replace Barry Scott on the Cillit Bang adverts.

"HI, I'M RED NICK AND MORE CRAZEEEE THAN A BAG OF SNAKES ON LSD."

Was at Aintree on Saturday, and apart from having a chat to Robbie (and a piccie, how sad Am I) I was with a couple of Arsenal fans who know Dein. Apparantly, Fischman (Major Shareholder) has been playing up lately as he's fed up off being the real money behind the club and Dein getting the credit. He was previously happy in the background, but Deins recently raised profile andthe credit he's got for the Emirates and for the team generally has caused a rift.

I think Dein is selling up to the Yank, which will leave Fishman in a difficult position.

Name dropper. ;)