You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Twyford Code by Janice Hallett. I can’t remember exactly why I read this although it was almost certainly from a review of some sort. However it was all just a little bit dull. Certainly it was nowhere near as clever or engaging as the reviews seemed to purport. 

I’m now reading the novelisation of Aliens which is decent but has annoyed me slightly because it doesn’t quite use all the iconic dialogue from the film even though I keep expecting it too.

I'm starting to feel a bit like Burgess Meredith in that episode of "The Twilight Zone" where he's the last man on earth, sat on the steps of the library surrounded by the books he's finally free to read, broken glasses in hand.

Not that my glasses are broken, but that there aren't enough hours in the day to read/reread all the books I'd like to.

Better too many than not enough, I guess.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, bossy said:

I manage a bookshop, everything second hand, and there’s so much choice it can be overwhelming. I have about 20 books on the go. Just finished The Man Who Came Uptown by George Pelecanos. Writer of The Wire I think. Great crime story. 

Great stuff, hope it’s doing well for you. Is it a challenge with the Amazon and Book Depository power at the moment? (And of course people just using pirate sites online). 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Great stuff, hope it’s doing well for you. Is it a challenge with the Amazon and Book Depository power at the moment? (And of course people just using pirate sites online). 

Nice one, thanks. Yes, a big challenge, particularly after Covid as I think people have grown even more used to the Kindle. We’re a community owned shop, mostly volunteers except for me, so only I’d lose my job if we go under! It’s unpredictable and our online sales are minuscule. Busy getting more books catalogued and we have a few we think might be worth some money, so we’ll see how it goes.  https://www.georgestreetcommunitybookshop.co.uk

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, bossy said:

Nice one, thanks. Yes, a big challenge, particularly after Covid as I think people have grown even more used to the Kindle. We’re a community owned shop, mostly volunteers except for me, so only I’d lose my job if we go under! It’s unpredictable and our online sales are minuscule. Busy getting more books catalogued and we have a few we think might be worth some money, so we’ll see how it goes.  https://www.georgestreetcommunitybookshop.co.uk

Repped. Book shops, especially ones that sell old/secondhand books, are ace. This photograph is great, I love old annuals.

958EBAEE-80D1-4731-9CFD-646E4E6B263A.png

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...

Three Sisters by Heather Morris.

Based on a true story. 

Third book in a trilogy which also gives us; The Tattooist of Auschwitz and Cilka’s Journey. 

Possibly the weakest of the three but it’s a high bar and I’ve still enjoyed it immensely. 

As I’ve been reading it I can’t help but reflect on some of the parallels between the girls story and what is happening in the world today.

You don’t have to read the books in order as they stand alone as individual stories of hardship, courage, cruelty, love and resilience but I have and I’m glad I did.

I’d rate this as 8/10. Personally I though Cilka’s Journey was the best one but they’re all well worth a read. 

Read the novelisation of Aliens by Alan Dean Foster. It’s decent like, but fir fine reason he decided to fuck with some of the greatest dialogue in cinema. “Get away from her, you”??? I mean, what the fuck? 

Now on a thing which is ostensibly a version of Max Brooks’ WWZ set in the Britain of Brooks’ novel and written in the same style. The Zombie War Battle For Britain by Tom Holroyd. It’s started ok. I’ll let you know. 

On 06/03/2022 at 16:29, Paul said:

Read the novelisation of Aliens by Alan Dean Foster. It’s decent like, but fir fine reason he decided to fuck with some of the greatest dialogue in cinema. “Get away from her, you”??? I mean, what the fuck? 

Now on a thing which is ostensibly a version of Max Brooks’ WWZ set in the Britain of Brooks’ novel and written in the same style. The Zombie War Battle For Britain by Tom Holroyd. It’s started ok. I’ll let you know. 

Enjoyed the zombie book. It’s decent. Not sure what’s next. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/02/2021 at 17:31, The Great Jacko said:

If The Dead Rise Not Philip Kerr 8/10 One of the Bernie Gunther series of detective Noir books set in 1930-1950's Germany (mainly). This series of books is outstanding and I would recommend to anyone who likes detective/spy/thriller/historical fiction. 

Just been to Barter Books in Alnwick managed to pick up Field Grey and The Lady from Zagreb. I have read March Violets and The Pale Criminal and have. German Requiem by Kerr. Is it best to read these books in order? 

7 minutes ago, Edward. said:

Just been to Barter Books in Alnwick managed to pick up Field Grey and The Lady from Zagreb. I have read March Violets and The Pale Criminal and have. German Requiem by Kerr. Is it best to read these books in order? 

I’d say yes, although the timeline in the books isn’t linear. You get clues and hints to other books by reading them in order.  But they are fucking brilliant. 

• Upvote 1

The ones I have read are really fascinating and a period I’m really interested in. Guess I’ll have to scout around for the other ones. I also bought Dawn of the Dead, The Drop by Lehane and Ashley Bell by Dean Koontz and am currently reading The Nameless Ones by JC so plenty of time to look around.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Edward. said:

The ones I have read are really fascinating and a period I’m really interested in. Guess I’ll have to scout around for the other ones. I also bought Dawn of the Dead, The Drop by Lehane and Ashley Bell by Dean Koontz and am currently reading The Nameless Ones by JC so plenty of time to look around.

I read some Koontz when I was a teenager. I can only remember the phrase ‘fuck and waste party’ and some kind of snake that bit a blokes dick off. 

8 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

I read some Koontz when I was a teenager. I can only remember the phrase ‘fuck and waste party’ and some kind of snake that bit a blokes dick off. 

Yeah I’ve not read him for awhile enjoyed The Moonlight Bay and Frankenstein series also The Odd books. I had some book tokens left over from before Covid so got 5 books for nothing really.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Edward. said:

Yeah I’ve not read him for awhile enjoyed The Moonlight Bay and Frankenstein series also The Odd books. I had some book tokens left over from before Covid so got 5 books for nothing really.

Brilliant. There’s nothing better than a good book. 

• Upvote 1

Read The Devil You Know by Mark Lawrence which is three short stories set in his Book of the Ancestor world. It was really good. 

I'm now on Bullet Train by Kotaro Isaka which the forthcoming Brad Pitt film is based on. 

1 minute ago, Paul said:

Read The Devil You Know by Mark Lawrence which is three short stories set in his Book of the Ancestor world. It was really good. 

I'm now on Bullet Train by Kotaro Isaka which the forthcoming Brad Pitt film is based on. 

There’s a new Mark Lawrence out in April 

37 minutes ago, Edward. said:

Didn't know there was a proper book for this, I thought it was just a short story. One of my favourite films, so I'll be interested to hear what you make of it.