You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Iran sabre-rattling

cochcaer

Another front on the ground is logistically impossible for both countries. I wouldn't be surprised if there was bombing before too long though, especially if Bush's approval figures remain in the toilet. The arab world will probably go fucking crazy if they do though.

the forty (I think it's sixty two anyway) virgins thing is as I understand it bollocks. the iranian president wants to shut the fuck up, as israel really doesn't need much by way of provocation to start some crazy counter-jihad right about now. it's getting scary kids.

Tricky situation, if Iran perfected a nuclear warhead and delivery system then wiping Israel 'off the map' would be a piece of piss. Doubtful Iran would ever be stupid enough to go that far as the military backlash would be immense.

Israel repeating a similar airstrike to that on Osirak is highly probable if the UN can't bring Iran's nuclear programme under closer inspection.

I think Iran have been a bit smarter this time and spread their nuclear programme over a number of sites.

Israel has pretty nifty US jets and weaponery so I doubt it'll be much of a hurdle. Most of the Middle East countries have wonky Russia cast-offs that always looked better than they performed.

Guest Gazmo25

I think we always thought that Iran would be next on the 'War On Terror' schedule. For what it's worth Bush is dying on his arse in America at the minute, still got the fallout from Katrina, He can't get his first choice into the supreme court and the 2000th US soldier has just been killed in Iraq, similar to 2001 when he was falling away before what happened at the WTC. Whilst the Iranian president isn't helping his cause, I honestly think that they know this is coming so their attitude has been 'fuck it, may as well say what we want'

It only took Straw about 2 days after hostilities were declared as 'ended' in Iraq to start sabre-rattling at Iran. I was hoping this had died a death, but obviously not.

Of course, it makes last night's advanced episode of Spooks on BBC3 look remarkably ahead of the game.

Israel repeating a similar airstrike to that on Osirak is highly probable if the UN can't bring Iran's nuclear programme under closer inspection.

I agree, in fact I'd say that is odds on in the next 18 months if diplomacy gets us nowhere (which is normally the case).

From a military viewpoint the strike on Osirak was nothing short of genius interspersed with a sprinkling of luck. If Israel feels threatened they will strike, without a shadow of doubt.

In related news, The Independent is reporting today that Blair is planning to update the Trident nuclear defense system at a cost to the taxpayer of £20 billion. Now you can call me cynical, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who suspects that Blair's imminent retirement and recently approved membership of the Carlyle Group might have something to do with his mad dash to plough cash into the defense industry and sell off the country's schools and hospitals to private interests. Just a thought, like.

The Yanks are about to do that. After Syria.

God Bless America.

Would be nice if we could get in there first for once though. We could take care of Iran while the americans get stuck into Syria. We could also accidentally loose off a warhead on France by mistake. Collateral damage/there always some innocents/etc.

Fucking leave them to it I say.

What gives uis teh right to have as many fucking nuclear weapons as we like whilst taking a moral high ground with every one else.

No wonder they fucking hate us. I would too.

Who is the only country to have ever used Nuclear weapons anyway?...

Fucking leave them to it I say.

What gives uis teh right to have as many fucking nuclear weapons as we like whilst taking a moral high ground with every one else.

No wonder they fucking hate us. I would too.

Who is the only country to have ever used Nuclear weapons anyway?...

The japs had it coming.

We should have nukes, coz we can be trusted with them. You really want those countries ruled by intolerant religious nutters to have nukes?

you really want... intolerant religious nutters to have nukes?

What, like George Bush?

i don't want anyone to have them, full stop. But I don;t see what gives us any right to preach about not having them when we're sitting on fuckbnig thousands of them.

they feel theratened by that and hence they want them too. I can't blame them one bit.