You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Arne Slot

1 hour ago, The Midnight Rambler said:

Chain around his neck 

Fuck. Another season wasted then. Just fucking get rid and stop hoping. It's been 2 years. The best attacking manager of his generation couldn't get it to work. 

We didn't win the league, fa cup or Europa league. HELLO. We need to change things up, we have good players with contracts running low. Try and keep them. Not show them more of the same. 

• Downvote 1

3 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

I think Edwards is probably very good at his job, but my interpretation is he's probably got a massive ego. 

But most people who make it big in football share that trait. I think Ljinders has that weird always switched on slimy energy about him. 

Even Klopp for all his amazing traits, is an immense self-promoter. It's part of the game and all in the name of advancement and making more money for themselves but they're all detached from reality. Slot will be the same.

Definitely putting ‘Weird always switched on slimy energy’ in my LinkedIn profile. 

• Upvote 1

Bascombe:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2024/05/20/arne-slot-liverpool-manager-contract-signed-key-players/

Arne Slot has signed a three-year Anfield contract after convincing the club hierarchy he is the man to propel Liverpool 2.0 to its full potential.

The 45-year-old Feyenoord coach secured the coveted position of replacing Jürgen Klopp following a critical spring meeting with Liverpool executives held in the Dutch city of Zwolle.

It was there, following months of due diligence, where a delegation including new Liverpool sporting director Richard Hughes was persuaded they had found the right man to build on Klopp’s legacy.

Slot not only vowed to build on Klopp’s foundations, he identified young players such as striker Darwin Núñez as critical to moving the team forward. While the Uruguayan has been widely criticised for his rawness in front of goal, Slot noted his extraordinary attributes and name-checked him as one of the many players he is excited to work with.

Liverpool are also planning for the future with skipper Virgil van Dijk, star striker Mohamed Salah and Trent Alexander-Arnold fundamental to Slot’s debut campaign. Contract talks with the trio are a priority as the club is determined to retain a healthy balance between experience and youth, believing the squad Klopp has left behind will not need extensive surgery.

It remains to be seen if mega bids from the Saudi Arabian Pro League alter the situation in the coming months – Liverpool understand how fluid circumstances are in the transfer market – but they have vowed to go into the new season even stronger to build on their third-place finish.

Confirmation of Slot’s impending arrival was delayed so as not to overshadow Klopp’s grand farewell on Sunday. Klopp did not get the memo when he urged the Kop to chant Slot’s name in his goodbye speech.

Now Liverpool and Feyenoord have jointly issued a formal announcement.

Slot has brought his first pre-season training sessions forward by a week – the squad will reconvene in the first week of July – so he can begin acclimatising to his new environment. Those representing their country at Euro 2024 and Copa America will return later, depending on how far they progress in the tournament.

A thorough recruitment process led to the former AZ Alkmaar and Feyenoord coach becoming the preferred candidate.

Liverpool sources are adamant Slot rapidly became the No1choice of Hughes and Fenway Sports Group chief executive Michael Edwards. The process sped up after it was known former Liverpool midfielder and Kop favourite Xabi Alonso was out of the running, Hughes and Edwards already knew Alonso was not possible when they were appointed in March.

Liverpool looked to their data department and prepared forensic reports and character assessments on those coaches of most interest.

Slot and Sporting Lisbon’s Rubin Amorim emerged favourably on the metrics early on. However, it was Slot who shot to the top of the list when further reference material was collected.

Liverpool’s data model assessed Slot’s coaching skills based on players’ performances before they worked under him, during their spell under his management, and how many fared when they were no longer benefiting from his skills.

Slot’s capacity for improving footballers struck a chord, as did the overwhelmingly positive appraisals of his personality. By the time of the first formal meeting in Holland, Liverpool believed they were closing in on the ideal candidate. Slot’s impressive performance in what amounted to a job interview sealed the deal.

Liverpool know they cannot directly replace Klopp, but their intention was always to find someone who shared his philosophy and would maintain the same culture in and around the training ground.

Slot has also proven himself a popular operator with the media, which – in the modern age – is significant given the importance of having a Liverpool coach who can communicate with honesty and passion to the supporters. That was one of Klopp’s biggest strengths, albeit his coaching and man-management was the greatest factor in his success.

Under Slot, Liverpool believe the post-Klopp transition will be more straightforward than it would have been had they required a different style of football, or appointed a more introverted character.

There is a belief the fanbase will embrace the personality of the new man once he is settled at Anfield.

• Upvote 3

I think my biggest concern at this stage - beyond FSG’s lack of spending under a manager who is not yet known to be on the same sort of level as Klopp - is that ageing journeymen like Spalletti and Valverde were both apparently strong contenders for the job, which doesn’t necessarily imply that longevity is a major consideration for the data team. 

We aren't going to make the loss we would have to on Nunez. Slot has got the job partly because he's convinced them he doesn't need major changes which would mean spending a wad of cash. Slots biggest task is trying to emulate Klopp and being a title contending champions league side on a European conference league budget. Good luck.

11 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

I think my biggest concern at this stage - beyond FSG’s lack of spending under a manager who is not yet known to be on the same sort of level as Klopp - is that ageing journeymen like Spalletti and Valverde were both apparently strong contenders for the job, which doesn’t necessarily imply that longevity is a major consideration for the data team. 

Where you seen that? 

To be honest, given their styles of play, Spalletti especially, I can see why there were considered. 

Joyce:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/sport/football/article/high-tempo-style-and-improving-players-why-liverpool-chose-arne-slot-pj8rvmsjr

Arne Slot has a flat that is barely furnished opposite Feyenoord’s De Kuip stadium, though his family home can be found about an hour and a half to the northeast of Rotterdam in Zwolle. It is a destination that has been central to much of his life. 

He launched his professional career as an attacking midfielder at FC Zwolle before seeing out his playing days at the newly-formed PEC Zwolle after the old club went bankrupt. Slot’s first steps into coaching would also be taken at the Eredivisie side, initially in the youth academy.

More recently, it also provided the setting for his interview with Liverpool over the vacant manager’s job, although the 45-year-old would end up asking almost as many questions as new sporting director Richard Hughes.

Not that Slot harboured any doubts about wanting to become Jürgen Klopp’s successor. Indeed, while Xabi Alonso ruled himself out of the running in order to stay at Bayer Leverkusen, Slot’s enthusiasm to sign up for the challenge of steering one of the biggest clubs in the world was one of the qualities that further endeared him to Anfield power brokers. 

Rather, it was a desire for detail that led him to seek out answers about the squad he will now inherit and the city that will provide a home from home.

The impression the affable Slot made in that face-to-face meeting spoke to the due diligence Liverpool had already forensically compiled. That analysis, led by director of research Will Spearman and embracing Michael Edwards, the new CEO of Football for Fenway Sports Group, Liverpool’s owner, and Hughes, was heavily data driven.

The model Liverpool adopted informed them of how players have performed before, during and after Slot’s reign at Feyenoord, and also previous club AZ Alkmaar, and offered insight into how he harnesses the potential of a squad and improves it.

That is something which appealed greatly given the belief that there is plenty of untapped potential in the pool of talent bequeathed by Klopp despite the end-of-season drop in performances which resulted in a third-place Premier League finish. 

Slot is someone who tends to provide a one-on-one presence in the analysis room, and also on the training pitch, and is known to put together his own clips of a player’s display rather than rely on club analysts.

In addition, Liverpool also ran a data check on what was expected of Feyenoord relative to their resources in a Dutch league that has traditionally been dominated by PSV Eindhoven and Ajax.

The numbers revealed a club outperforming their means with a title triumph in 2022-23, only the second this century, followed by Dutch Cup success this term. At Alkmaar, he averaged the highest points per game of any coach in the club’s history. Feyenoord’s record of strong player availability via low injury rates also earned a tick beside his name.

There was an added belief that the transition from Klopp could be straightforward given Slot favours the sort of high-tempo, high-intensity and high-pressing approach that has become ingrained as Liverpool’s DNA. It is a brand which Hughes and co hope will engage a fanbase who demonstrated during Klopp’s goodbye their own role in building momentum.

With all those elements favourable, background checks were completed. They had started some time before Slot emerged publicly as a leading contender, but the more Liverpool liked about him, the more they kept digging and the more they were convinced he could be the right fit. 

Although the names considered by Hughes and Edwards were considerable, it was never the case of a shortlist being whittled down, for example, from 20 to five to one. 

The Sporting Lisbon coach Rúben Amorim was evaluated internally and showed up well on the data, but he never superseded Slot and was not discussed to the same extent. Had Liverpool wanted the Portuguese, there were no barriers to a deal. It was simply that Slot was the preferred option.

The process appears to have been robust. Whether Slot proves the right choice will be determined by results, though he is set to throw himself into the job. A start date for pre-season has already been brought forward by a week to the beginning of July for those who are not at the European Championship or Copa América. That tallies with Slot’s assistant at Feyenoord, Sipke Hulshoff, resigning from his role as No 2 with the Holland national team to concentrate fully on relocating to Merseyside. 

Owen Slot: My Dutch road trip to uncover the real Arne Slot

For Mohamed Salah, Harvey Elliott and Curtis Jones, among others, that will mean around around six weeks off, while the timeframe will be considerably shorter for those at major tournaments.

Virgil van Dijk has already stressed the need for downtime, saying: “One thing I do know is we need a good break after our tournament because, otherwise, we will be in trouble as well going into the season. Hopefully the new manager will look into that.”

Contract discussions with Van Dijk — who said there is “nothing on the table” — Salah and Trent Alexander-Arnold will proceed as a priority as the trio enter the final year of their existing deals, although there is no suggestion that any of them will leave this summer.

Indeed, the centre back, who once lined up for Groningen against PEC Zwolle and Slot, has vowed to be there for “whatever he needs”.

“I am very curious and have a lot of questions all the time,” Van Dijk said. “He probably knows already but everyone knows our expectations are always huge and it is about managing that in the right way and getting the maximum out of all of our players.”

And that is precisely why Liverpool have hired him.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

Unless they were excluded, in part, because of age.

Amorim, Alonso and Slot were also in the running who don't fit your concern.

3 hours ago, Scott_M said:

There was a power struggle there, which Edwards won and it worked out in the clubs best interests.

Reading “The Data Game” it’s clear they didn’t see eye to eye. I fully think Edwards pushed for Rodgers sacking. 

Rodgers sacked himself by being fucking shit. He wasn't helped by the utter shite players both him and Edwards bought. And the whole fucking mess was down to the shit show FSG did of managing it. 

2 hours ago, Binomial said:

We finally have a new manager!!!!!!!! OMG YES I'm SO excited!!!!!!!!! 

I didn't see that coming. 

18 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Rodgers sacked himself by being fucking shit. He wasn't helped by the utter shite players both him and Edwards bought. And the whole fucking mess was down to the shit show FSG did of managing it. 

And I’ve partially explained why the transfers weren’t as success then, you’re not interested in hearing it. 

Unfortunately, while all this technology / structure was new, mistakes were made. We’ve learnt from those mistakes and  improved immeasurably in the last 10 years, we’re not always perfect, we’re right more often than not.

What is the point dragging up poor transfers from >10 years ago? It has very little relevance to now. You didn’t like how Edwards briefed against Rodgers? History has shown us Edwards has ultimately been proven right. Rodgers got sacked, Edwards recommended Klopp. If that isn’t acting in the best interests of the club, I’m not sure what is. 

17 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I'd like to imagine they've all learned from past mistakes, and can use the experience to do a better job going forward. 

We're also several tiers above where we were during that era, might make recruitment a bit easier. 

2 hours ago, Mathewbet1 said:

We need a song for him

I couldn't remember the tune that Klopp was singing his name to, so all day stuck in my head I've had Arne Slot do do do do do do, Arne Slot do do do do do do, to the tune of baby shark. 

I'm praying someone can do a better job than that, or I'm giving up on football and maybe life. 

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

trying to emulate Klopp 

If this fella comes out to his first presser without a shiny new set of Bobby Dazzlers he is in for a rough ride.

If I was his wife I'd be careful of the female masseuse and club hairdresser. Not that Arne will need a haircut like.