You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Do we prioritise a Thursday night comeback now?

Chris

Thursday Night: All-in on another European miracle? Or powder dry for fading league hopes?   

41 members have voted

1. 1. Should we prioritise Atalanta comeback?

• Yes! This is achievable. Let's go for it.
    • No! Outside league chance still more important.

The trouble is we could prioritise the Atalanta game and still come up short. I think we have enough players back now that you might see a game of 2 halves i.e., the whole forward line might do a half each so at least they get some rest. I expect Gapko to start and Darwin to come off the bench in the second half. This is a game for Harvey also so possibly Jones on the bench for a bit of a rest. Not sure what to do with Mac Allister, as we dont have a natural replacement in the team and he looks goosed!

It's more likely than winning the league. 

We can least have 20/25 minutes of full blown blitzkrieg, Shirley. 

Four four fucking two. 

Alisson

Bradley Van Dijk Someoneelse Robertson

TAA MacAllister Someoneelse Díaz

Danns Gakpo

Núñez for the last half an hour to chaos them in the dick. Probably need to change the centre mids at half time as they'll be goosed.

The thing is if we overcome Atlanta then the momentum/joy etc will kick start our league form too. Failure to perform well and win would be like handing Fulham a pack of nails and a hammer.

28 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

It's more likely than winning the league. 

We can least have 20/25 minutes of full blown blitzkrieg, Shirley. 

Four four fucking two. 

Alisson

Bradley Van Dijk Someoneelse Robertson

TAA MacAllister Someoneelse Díaz

Danns Gakpo

Núñez for the last half an hour to chaos them in the dick. Probably need to change the centre mids at half time as they'll be goosed.

Deffo those two. This can be done.

35 minutes ago, Chris said:

If you want to ignore all context outlined in the original post by all means, but... fucking hell. 

Sorry, what context? We are two points off in the title race, and 3-0 down away to a decent Italian side. How likely it is we can overcome this side which has just amply demonstrated they know how to play against us? So lets prioritize EL and go chase a Miracolo a Bergamo. And disregard the unlikely but by no means unimaginable possibility City may drop points but we were not able to capitalize because we prioritized the EL?  

Go there and try to win the game. See where we are after 60. If we're leading then yeah, have a go, but another humiliating loss is not a way to start building momentum.

Get the win, if it doesn't seem on, just leave it at that and just try and build our confidence back up bit by bit. Grind out a win at Fulham and take it from there.

27 minutes ago, No2 said:

The thing is if we overcome Atlanta then the momentum/joy etc will kick start our league form too. Failure to perform well and win would be like handing Fulham a pack of nails and a hammer.

Agree, with the caveat that overcoming them but needing extra time to do it probably fucks us too much to even get any momentum. Needs to be in 90 minutes or I'd rather go out. Don't want extra time, would rather lose than have to go through that as we'll be dead on our feet against Fulham.

Atalanta just gave up a two nil lead at home to the 17th best team in Serie A. Game finished 2-2. Admittedly it was half arsed to the point that bank accounts need checking. With thirty seconds left the centre backs were just passing it to each other. 

The question is, as I understand it, when do we rest two or three of the key players that look most in need of a rest, in the game we have almost no chance of winning, and which then potentially leads to a trophy we don't rate much or in one of the league games, where we can still be in contention for what matters the most.

Also, if something were to happen in the Thursday game, it would probably equally depend on how well Atalanta play, not just on us, as in, we need them to be bad, make mistakes, start panicking.  

Even at 0-3 this is realistically our best chance of another trophy. You just know we'll put out our strongest available side. If nothing is happening just sub the more important players at 60 minutes and put some melatonin in their tea so they get a good sleep before the Fulham match.

If we’re leading even by 1 goal at halftime, Atalanta will get very nervous. I still think we’ve a great chance of getting to a 3 goal lead, and then after that it’s anyone’s game.  So absolutely yes. Also, Jota and Trent need minutes so they should start anyway, and they improve us. And Klopp won’t play a weakened team anyway.  I suspect there’ll be a few kids on the bench in case we’re losing thiugh so he can rest players after 60 mins. But I’d actually start Danns in this. 

• Upvote 1

We need to prioritise it because it’s our next game. 

Never know, might be the perfect game for us. We know we need to score, hopefully we get our shooting boots back on, we do it (or go down having pushed Atalanta all the way, winning 4-2 or something) and that gives us some confidence for the rest of the season. 

First goal is key. 

• Upvote 1

We desperately need to play well. We need to look like a team that can win by being good cause I'm not sure we currently believe we can win by just keeping going.

Have to give it a right go, and have to do that with a strong team. 

If we play well but it's mostly reserves do the first teamers get the belief? I don't think so.

Strong team. Play well. See what happens.