You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Title Race

As I said elsewhere winning it would be a bonus because I didn’t expect us to be challenging so soon, which is obviously testament to the brilliance of Klopp and his staff. And we’re up against the cheats again, so all taken into account I’m not going be too gutted if we don’t win it.

Whenever we’re in a position where it’s been in our own hands, I’ve felt we could win the league.

The disappointment is the likes of the Arsenal game when it hands impetus back to City.

Still, though, we win all our games, we win the league.

The yardstick has been get more out of city than they get out of you, and that still holds true.

7 hours ago, kemskem said:

As I said elsewhere winning it would be a bonus because I didn’t expect us to be challenging so soon, which is obviously testament to the brilliance of Klopp and his staff. And we’re up against the cheats again, so all taken into account I’m not going be too gutted if we don’t win it.

With it being Klopp's final season I will be especially pissed off if we dont win it as I am not expecting too much afterwards for a while. I hope I'm wrong about Klopp's successor but Klopp fuckin deserves this one.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

With it being Klopp's final season I will be especially pissed off if we dont win it as I am not expecting too much afterwards for a while. I hope I'm wrong about Klopp's successor but Klopp fuckin deserves this one.

I obviously hope they keep going but finishing ahead of Abu Dhabi will be a tall order.

One big advantage we have, particularly over Arsenal is lack of champions league. The EL being less demanding and intense.

Citys squad are better equipped to cope but hopefully they’ll get more injuries like last night as well as get distracted by the CL.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Reckoner said:

One big advantage we have, particularly over Arsenal is lack of champions league. The EL being less demanding and intense.

Citys squad are better equipped to cope but hopefully they’ll get more injuries like last night as well as get distracted by the CL.

No - read the TLW room, please. The title’s gone.

On 13/02/2024 at 12:58, Strontium said:

It's all academic, because unless they suffer an uncharacteristic injury crisis, I don't see City dropping any points fron now until the end of the season, except maybe when they visit us.

Do you really think this City side is capable of putting together a 21-game winning streak (given that the Premier League record, shared by Liverpool and City, is 18 wins)?

City will drop points.

On 14/02/2024 at 06:53, Bobby Hundreds said:

Does anyone genuinely think like really believe we will win the league. I'm not being glib it's a genuine question, not hope we win but look at the season what we have left and think we will do this.

If we’d beaten Arsenal I would have had a bit of hope. But we didn’t and played shit so now I expect Man City to win easily. Will be close for second and third and could go either way.

12 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

If we’d beaten Arsenal I would have had a bit of hope. But we didn’t and played shit so now I expect Man City to win easily. Will be close for second and third and could go either way.

I see it the other way: Arsenal was a blip.  They'll be in a scrap for third, while we and City will compete for the title, maybe to the final game.

On 15/02/2024 at 10:32, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Do you really think this City side is capable of putting together a 21-game winning streak (given that the Premier League record, shared by Liverpool and City, is 18 wins)?

City will drop points.

They're on about 12 in all comps now. And won every game in the league since they returned from the WCC..so while at times this season, they've not looked quite at the level they were, it seems more than enough to beat just about everyone. If we're looking to city to open the door, I think we'll be disappointed. We need to look after our own business, which starts tomorrow. Win that and look to the next game. There's no point 2nd guessing city. Our aim needs to be 14 wins. 

26 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

They're on about 12 in all comps now. And won every game in the league since they returned from the WCC..so while at times this season, they've not looked quite at the level they were, it seems more than enough to beat just about everyone. If we're looking to city to open the door, I think we'll be disappointed. We need to look after our own business, which starts tomorrow. Win that and look to the next game. There's no point 2nd guessing city. Our aim needs to be 14 wins. 

Tomorrow is massive as we'll beat Luton at home and if we didn't we wouldn't deserve to be in the race anyway.

Beat Brentford and we are then looking at March which is the key month. If they get 10 points from their March games that's that I feel. I'm banking/hoping on them getting maximum 7. Unfortunately it's hard not to glance over at those cheating cunts.

38 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

We'll need to beat City at Anfield and match their results in the other fixtures; I don't believe that means winning every other game.  They're on a six- match winning run in the league; I wouldn't take it as read that they'll continue that for the rest of the season.  We've been beaten by a football team once; they have three times.  Obviously they're very good, but I just don't see them as infallible.

6 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

We'll need to beat City at Anfield and match their results in the other fixtures; I don't believe that means winning every other game.  They're on a six- match winning run in the league; I wouldn't take it as read that they'll continue that for the rest of the season.  We've been beaten by a football team once; they have three times.  Obviously they're very good, but I just don't see them as infallible.

Well obviously they're not infallible. But if you're looking for a path to winning the league, you don't need to be hoping and praying for them. But the reality is, season after season they've shown a capability of getting results when they need them. So why look at them and hope they do something? It's in our hands..win 3 points and then worry about the next game. There should be no other agenda. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Well obviously they're not infallible. But if you're looking for a path to winning the league, you don't need to be hoping and praying for them. But the reality is, season after season they've shown a capability of getting results when they need them. So why look at them and hope they do something? It's in our hands..win 3 points and then worry about the next game. There should be no other agenda. 

Agreed.  But if we drop points along the way, it won't be the end of our season (although it will be greeted as such by plenty of the posters on here).

4 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Agreed.  But if we drop points along the way, it won't be the end of our season (although it will be greeted as such by plenty of the posters on here).

Exactly. Nobody is winning all their games to the end of the season. I certainly wouldn't be crying it in if we didn't get 3pts tomorrow.

4 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Well like everything, it will depend on how we react and can we keep pressure on.  Personally I don't care much for thinking about that scenario either. Just win the next game. If we drop some points, try and win the one after. We can only look after our business, because city might win and win. But if we win our games, none of that matters. 

They have beaten Urawa Reds, Flumiense, Everton twice, Luton, Brentford, Huddersfield, Burnley, Copenhagen and a couple of last minute winners against Newcastle and Spurs. As a standalone set of results and performances they are just OK, games in previous years that were over after 6 minutes are now going the distance. They may well string another 10 wins together but they are been made to work for them now and that eventually takes its toll.

• Upvote 2

On 15/02/2024 at 10:56, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I see it the other way: Arsenal was a blip.  They'll be in a scrap for third, while we and City will compete for the title, maybe to the final game.

The final Game................

So I have read that if we beat Southampton in the FA Cup; The next round is on the same day we are meant to be playing everton. 

If we go all the way in the EL then we have midweek games all the way through so will be unable to fit in the Everton game that needs to be played. 

There are talks therefore that this game is played after the other final PL games and after the EL final. Meaning that we could have one last game to play against Everton to conclude the league. 

Imagine playing that at the Pit and sending them down whilst we win a league title????

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1