You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Title Race

I think tomorrow is a big game for us, as I reckon it’s likely that we won’t get six points from the Goodison and Old Trafford visits. 

Man City will also drop points, but for me tomorrow is the type of game we need to be winning. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Fowlers God said:

The final Game................

So I have read that if we beat Southampton in the FA Cup; The next round is on the same day we are meant to be playing everton. 

If we go all the way in the EL then we have midweek games all the way through so will be unable to fit in the Everton game that needs to be played. 

There are talks therefore that this game is played after the other final PL games and after the EL final. Meaning that we could have one last game to play against Everton to conclude the league. 

Imagine playing that at the Pit and sending them down whilst we win a league title????

The midweek between Villa and Wolves is free regardless of FA cup or Europa league progression. 

54 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

I think tomorrow is a big game for us, as I reckon it’s likely that we won’t get six points from the Goodison and Old Trafford visits. 

Man City will also drop points, but for me tomorrow is the type of game we need to be winning. 

I also think tomorrow is really big for us but more so for the optics than the 3pts if you get my drift.

12.30ko, win and its relax all weekend. A few more people would start to believe. All about getting on a roll now.

FWIW I think we'll win tomorrow.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Fowlers God said:

The final Game................

So I have read that if we beat Southampton in the FA Cup; The next round is on the same day we are meant to be playing everton. 

If we go all the way in the EL then we have midweek games all the way through so will be unable to fit in the Everton game that needs to be played. 

There are talks therefore that this game is played after the other final PL games and after the EL final. Meaning that we could have one last game to play against Everton to conclude the league. 

Imagine playing that at the Pit and sending them down whilst we win a league title????

That's Everton fan bullshit "sly 6". The last weekend is the last weekend, even if you have to play Saturday, Monday, Thursday somewhere. But I'm sure I read there are weeks left to fit the games in from both the 6th round and semi final. 

According to uefa, these are the rounds left. 

Round of 16: 7 and 14 March 2024
Quarter-finals: 11 and 18 April 2024
Semi-finals: 2 and 9 May 2024
Final: 22 May 2024

So we have a free midweek between fulham and west ham on the 20th and 27th currently. 

And we have a free midweek between villa and wolves on 11th and 19th May. 

so it would seem there are 2 blank midweeks we can use should we get to both the uefa and fa cup finals. It would seem to make sense that we play them between Fulham and west ham should we get to the 6th round of the cup. 

• Upvote 1

Unless there are really exceptional circumstances there is no way an individual game would be after all the others.

The final set of games are all played on same day with same kick off times - and so they should be.

That won't change - if the derby is in the final week, it will be in the midweek before last game...although frankly hopefully that isn't case either and we get it played before.

On 13/02/2024 at 09:04, Smell The Glove said:

I posted something in another thread about how good we are at home and have been since Klopp took over really. If we want to win the league then it's pivotal we beat the cheats at home.

We play Everton away mate

• Haha 1

I think winning the title is like 50% timing and favourable things going your way. People forget when we won it that we seemed to have a supernatural ability to get results that maybe was not very sustainable and most of the other big clubs in the league were terrible that season. It was just our year and our time.

But with a team like City, who let's face it, have generally been better than us, we need more than 50% of things going our way to beat them. That's why we only have one.

This season, I think we've seen players emerge that few would have predicted like Bradley and Quansah, which is favorable, but then we've had cases of bad luck like the Arsenal game where we had such untimely injuries and now the injuries are multiplying as well.

To me, we have proven this season we have the elements to do it; the squad, the variety of players, the ability to get results, but we probably won't have the big amount of luck go our way that we'll need. But we'll see, these things can turn.

• Upvote 1

It's very frustrating that Klopp has been objectively brilliant at rotating this season, but we are still getting injuries repeatedly. We are always down a few, and then when those return, we proceed to lose another few in their place. 

We have been cursed with a few freak injuries on top of that: Matip for the season; Mac Allister for a month; and now it looks like Jota for potentially the whole season. We need City and Arsenal to get injuries to their key players to balance the scales in our favour if we are going to do it.

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

I think winning the title is like 50% timing and favourable things going your way. People forget when we won it that we seemed to have a supernatural ability to get results that maybe was not very sustainable and most of the other big clubs in the league were terrible that season. It was just our year and our time.

But with a team like City, who let's face it, have generally been better than us, we need more than 50% of things going our way to beat them. That's why we only have one.

This season, I think we've seen players emerge that few would have predicted like Bradley and Quansah, which is favorable, but then we've had cases of bad luck like the Arsenal game where we had such untimely injuries and now the injuries are multiplying as well.

To me, we have proven this season we have the elements to do it; the squad, the variety of players, the ability to get results, but we probably won't have the big amount of luck go our way that we'll need. But we'll see, these things can turn.

Agree about the last paragraph. Injuries being the main factor against us, with the amount we’ve had quality, continuity, tactics and momentum will all suffer at some stage. 

On 16/02/2024 at 23:21, Creator Supreme said:

They just won't, they've dropped all the points they're going to drop. Now they kick into top gear, and just don't stop.

I knew this bullshit would come up against reality sooner or later; I didn't expect it this quickly.

1 hour ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

This thread is far too early.  We should all agree to just walk away from it until both us and City have played 30 games.

Or allow only the @The Woolster to post here with stats predicting our likelihood of winning the league. 

What's that thing sky seem to do each monday morning - is it from opta?

• Upvote 2

Despite what I’m about to post, I am fully focusing on beating Luton and Luton only and fully agree with the one game at a time mantra…

…I am concerned about the amount of fixtures we have coming up and how many players seem to be dropping like flies, especially as injuries to Jota & Jones seem to be serious ones. 

Before the next international break, we have…

Luton - H

Chelsea - N

Southampton - H

Forest - A

EL - A

Man City - H

EL - H

Everton - A

…I get players get injured, we can’t have important players like Trent & Szoboszlai breaking down with the same injuries again. Hopefully Alisson & Nunez injuries are only minor. 

I imagine we can rotate Gomez, Quansah, Tsmiskas easily enough for Luton and / or Southampton, we’re running out of options elsewhere. 

3 hours ago, Scott_M said:

Despite what I’m about to post, I am fully focusing on beating Luton and Luton only and fully agree with the one game at a time mantra…

…I am concerned about the amount of fixtures we have coming up and how many players seem to be dropping like flies, especially as injuries to Jota & Jones seem to be serious ones. 

Luton - H

Chelsea - N

Southampton - H

Forest - A

EL - A

Man City - H

EL - H

Everton - A

…I get players get injured, we can’t have important players like Trent & Szoboszlai breaking down with the same injuries again. Hopefully Alisson & Nunez injuries are only minor. 

I imagine we can rotate Gomez, Quansah, Tsmiskas easily enough for Luton and / or Southampton, we’re running out of options elsewhere. 

I think klopp will gladly play a bunch of kids next week against Southampton. 

20 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I think klopp will gladly play a bunch of kids next week against Southampton. 

Maybe. I’m more or less fine defensively and midfield, I’m concerned up front & players running out of gas.

Assumption is Jota won’t be available, Nunez allegedly 50/50 for Wembley & talk Mo is 50/50 for Luton now.

Just as well Bradley and Quansah have stepped up this season, we’d really be in the shit without them. Maybe Kadie Gordon could help us out as well? 

4 hours ago, Scott_M said:

Luton - H

Chelsea - N

Southampton - H

Forest - A

EL - A

Man City - H

EL - H

Everton - A

Just to pick you up on something there, personally I think it’s great that we’ve so many games before the next international break as that hiatus can be hugely problematic for us. At least we’ll keep our rhythm going. 

Do well in this next group of fixtures and we’ll be in a fantastic position.

Of course it’s taxing and the injuries seem constant this season, but the rewards are immense. 

From what little I’ve seen of McConnell and Clark, I reckon they’ll get the FA Cup game and other minutes here and there.

24 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Maybe. I’m more or less fine defensively and midfield, I’m concerned up front & players running out of gas.

Assumption is Jota won’t be available, Nunez allegedly 50/50 for Wembley & talk Mo is 50/50 for Luton now.

Just as well Bradley and Quansah have stepped up this season, we’d really be in the shit without them. Maybe Kadie Gordon could help us out as well? 

What is problem with Salah?