You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2024 Transfer Thread

Anubis

1 hour ago, Lee909 said:

I think both Diaz and Salah fit Amorim system as they can go wide or play in behind. I wonder if its Diaz wanting a new deal and maybe we are reluctant ti give him what he wants and with him being 27 they think get someone younger like kvaratskhelia who is 23 and we could probably get him for a little more than we would Diaz for

It could deffo be he wants a new contract and it does feel like all that stuff at the club has stopped as we've not even got Trent, vvd or Salah sorted and they can all sign bosmans elsewhere from January. You also have to think, it wouldn't be a shock if we treated Diaz like we did Gini. Just let him have his big years here on a manageable salary and then let him go for free at the end and make his money. There's definitely an aspect at the club that they're not too hung up on doing just that. 

3 minutes ago, an tha said:

Take it how you will but Bruce Grobbelaar reckons Diaz has offers from PSG and Barcelona according to mate of mine who was talking to him in the ale house today.

What's Brucie's cut of the signing on fee, and will it be delivered in a brown envelope?

Lol

Barcelona, are they playing in monopoly money. 

Barça recently had their annual spending limit cut by €66 million ($71m) by LaLiga, going from €270m to €204m.

With squad costs reportedly around €400m, more than double the LaLiga-imposed limit, Barça face a huge challenge to sign and register players in the upcoming summer transfer window.

Still think it's staggering that all outlets say it's Diaz dad who's making all the deals (I mean he could be his agent; I'm not that fussed if he is or not because it doesn't negate my point)

with all the other clubs; after all we did for Diaz dad and it's specifically him trying to gain a move away for him. 

I guess it would be almost impossible to get Ødegaard from Arsenal in the summer, but could we get someone like him?

Who is the closest when it comes to his qualities that could be a possibility?

I feel such a midfielder is the one thing we are missing.  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Fowlers God said:

Still think it's staggering that all outlets say it's Diaz dad who's making all the deals (I mean he could be his agent; I'm not that fussed if he is or not because it doesn't negate my point)

with all the other clubs; after all we did for Diaz dad and it's specifically him trying to gain a move away for him. 

If Liverpool support the move, why would that be an issue? If Diaz's father and family intend to stay in Europe, perhaps this is part of the challenge Diaz has, because he needs to find somewhere they can all settle. And it wouldn't seem unreasonable if Diaz snr was then the one looking at the clubs and cities that are offering his son a move to see if he thinks it'll work out. 

This doesn't have to be a situation where Diaz is deserting us. It could just be a case of it's a situation that suits player and club. 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Remmie said:

I can't believe people have watched Mo for the past few years and would rather have £100m or whatever figure. He's still got it. Fuck the money. He's not a gamble; a £100m+ replacement is. 

The only way we should allow Mo to leave is if he wants to go himself - and I just cannot see that. At the very least, he will see out the final year of his contract.

I also think that that is what the club should let him do, before opening negotiations for a new deal. Regardless of how great he is, negotiations with a 32-year-old should see the ball in our court more than his. At that stage, we will know how a new manager wants to use him and can make him an offer accordingly.

I wonder if he might be able to change position and move inside. Clearly that would not be suited to a 343 formation, but I think he could play a kind of number 10 role with his range of passing and intelligence. He could be a goal scoring creative player rather a creative goal scoring player. 

One thing that is absolutely clear to me though is that he will be able to play in the Premier League for at least another five years if he wants to. And if he’s capable, why would we want to let him leave?

I would be amazed if he wanted to leave, by the way. He has broken so many records here already and I can certainly see him getting to number two on the all-time scoring list, even if Rushie’s tally is probably unattainable.

He already has one regret about his Liverpool career, I reckon: not joining us first time around and going to Chelsea instead. I don’t think he wants another one.

It’s absolutely clear to me that he loves it here and I am convinced he believes he can stay in the first team for years to come and cement his reputation as one of our greatest players of all time - as well as win more trophies! 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Code said:

I guess it would be almost impossible to get Ødegaard from Arsenal in the summer, but could we get someone like him?

Do they have to be Norwegian? 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Paul said:

The only way we should allow Mo to leave is if he wants to go himself - and I just cannot see that. At the very least, he will see out the final year of his contract.

I also think that that is what the club should let him do, before opening negotiations for a new deal. Regardless of how great he is, negotiations with a 32-year-old should see the ball in our court more than his. At that stage, we will know how a new manager wants to use him and can make him an offer accordingly.

I wonder if he might be able to change position and move inside. Clearly that would not be suited to a 343 formation, but I think he could play a kind of number 10 role with his range of passing and intelligence. He could be a goal scoring creative player rather a creative goal scoring player. 

One thing that is absolutely clear to me though is that he will be able to play in the Premier League for at least another five years if he wants to. And if he’s capable, why would we want to let him leave?

I would be amazed if he wanted to leave, by the way. He has broken so many records here already and I can certainly see him getting to number two on the all-time scoring list, even if Rushie’s tally is probably unattainable.

He already has one regret about his Liverpool career, I reckon: not joining us first time around and going to Chelsea instead. I don’t think he wants another one.

It’s absolutely clear to me that he loves it here and I am convinced he believes he can stay in the first team for years to come and cement his reputation as one of our greatest players of all time - as well as win more trophies! 

If it’s gonna be Amorim next, the wide players in his front three play a lot narrower than ours do. The whole playstyle is about getting overloads in the centre, with Mo’s close control and strength on the ball he could be ideal in there as he gets older.

Amorim does demand a lot of pressing from his front three though, Mo doesn’t do that so much.

While I’ve never been his biggest fan, I’d try and keep Diaz for another year. Got a feeling the pennies starting to drop with him now in this league and he could have a breakout season next year.  

10 hours ago, Code said:

Elliott

On 10/04/2024 at 07:23, Code said:

Jamal Musiala is the closest thing I've seen to him. I rate him higher than I do Odegaard too. Sublime player. 

Vitinha at PSG is also a craft little technician, he's the 1 in their midfield that pulls the stings and opens doors for their speedy wingers.

Cheaper alternatives.....then perhaps someone like an Eze?

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Binomial said:

Jamal Musiala is the closest thing I've seen to him. I rate him higher than I do Odegaard too. Sublime player. 

Vitinha at PSG is also a craft little technician, he's the 1 in their midfield that pulls the stings and opens doors for their speedy wingers.

Yes I like Musiala, as for now, I think Ødegaard is the better player though, but he is a few years older.