You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Xabi Alonso: Welcome back to Anfield.

Elite

31 minutes ago, Chris said:

All of this new manager talk is leaving me just cold and non-plussed. I don't think I'll be excited about anyone.

Even if it's Alonso, it'll be like getting a step dad. I mean, yeah, he's a nice bloke and he'll look after your mum and that. But it's still not your dad, your dad is leaving you, and your family isn't gonna feel like it did.

I dunno, I feel like with everything going on with the oil clubs skewing everything, VAR, the referring, the constant international football breaks, the fucking horrendous bantah and poverty/tragedy chanting... this might be a natural way just to let it all drift out of my heart a bit.

Were you a Klopp doubter but now a can't believe he's going like John B? Can't remember. Pretty sure Paul was. Who cares though. He's up there with Bob and Shanks for transforming the club.

16 minutes ago, Smell The Glove said:

Were you a Klopp doubter but now a can't believe he's going like John B? Can't remember. Pretty sure Paul was. Who cares though. He's up there with Bob and Shanks for transforming the club.

I was never a doubter of Klopp. I wasn't the biggest fan of some of his methods immediately. Couple of things stick out from the time ... him going on MNF to talk about his methods irked me (it wouldn't now, it's common), and the way he was with the crowd sometimes didn't sit well with me. All just part of the natural getting-to-know-you, I suppose. 

Plus, I couldn't stand Rodgers from day one. And still can't. So I was delighted from the off. 

1 hour ago, Chris said:

All of this new manager talk is leaving me just cold and non-plussed. I don't think I'll be excited about anyone.

Even if it's Alonso, it'll be like getting a step dad. I mean, yeah, he's a nice bloke and he'll look after your mum and that. But it's still not your dad, your dad is leaving you, and your family isn't gonna feel like it did.

I dunno, I feel like with everything going on with the oil clubs skewing everything, VAR, the referring, the constant international football breaks, the fucking horrendous bantah and poverty/tragedy chanting... this might be a natural way just to let it all drift out of my heart a bit.

Well, just as long as you keep hosting the pod. You can’t let Usher have free rein of that thing. It’s chaos when he hosts. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Chris said:

I was never a doubter of Klopp. I wasn't the biggest fan of some of his methods immediately. Couple of things stick out from the time ... him going on MNF to talk about his methods irked me (it wouldn't now, it's common), and the way he was with the crowd sometimes didn't sit well with me. All just part of the natural getting-to-know-you, I suppose. 

Plus, I couldn't stand Rodgers from day one. And still can't. So I was delighted from the off. 

I only bring it up because Ron B reminded me of how bad things actually can get and were. For me Jurgen Klopp is the best thing that could have happened otherwise we are Aston Villa, Tottenham right now.

1 hour ago, JohnnyH said:

Well, just as long as you keep hosting the pod. You can’t let Usher have free rein of that thing. It’s chaos when he hosts. 

Haha. The chaos is great. So much good stuff comes from that, which wouldn't happen when I'm hosting because I'm more aware of moving on the discussion/time/getting other people involved, etc. 

I know you like structure, Johnny. 

2 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

There is zero case for Southgate. 

If Alonso was to go to Madrid then I’d love Ancelotti here for a few years. Plus it would piss the other lot off no end. 

Ancelotti would be my first choice. I’d love him with this team. Give Alonso another year or two gaining experience and then he joins. However, I appreciate nothing ever slots nicely into place like that. 

If, as I expect, Alonso stays at Leverkusen or goes to Bayern, and Ancelotti stays at Madrid, then I’d like that Amorim bloke. The little I’ve read seems impressive. 

God I fucking hate having to change manager though. It just feels for to early for this. Klopp should be here another 5 fucking years, the big quitting twat. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Chris said:

Haha. The chaos is great. So much good stuff comes from it, which wouldn't happen when I'm hosting because I'm more aware of moving on the discussion/time/getting other people involved, etc. 

If you let Dave host long term he’d accidentally burn down his house or something. Mankind needs you controlling the anarchy. 

Structure is sexy as fuck. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

Ancelotti would be my first choice. I’d love him with this team. Give Alonso another year or two gaining experience and then he joins. However, I appreciate nothing ever slots nicely into place like that. 

If, as I expect, Alonso stays at Leverkusen or goes to Bayern, and Ancelotti stays at Madrid, then I’d like that Amorim bloke. The little I’ve read seems impressive. 

God I fucking hate having to change manager though. It just feels for to early for this. Klopp should be here another 5 fucking years, the big quitting twat. 

What do you think attacking/exciting wise Ancelotti would do with this squad?

6 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

Yeah agreed actually. We wouldn’t risk drop off as much with Ancelotti. I like the sound of that Amorim and I’ve got a feeling that’s who we will get.

Welcome to Liverpool Gary O’Neill 

3 minutes ago, Smell The Glove said:

I don't think there's a chance Ancelotti will come but he wins trophies and that's all the excitement I need.

2 minutes ago, Smell The Glove said:

Without sounding obtuse, I don’t care.  Ancelotti would be here 2-3 seasons maximum. My concern from the moment Klopp announced he was going was that we’d waste one of our greatest ever squads on a long term project manager. Ancelotti has a long history of coming into teams with experienced and good squads and quickly taking them to league titles and/or European cups. How he plays to achieve that doesn’t really concern me that much. 

1 hour ago, Mook said:

I don't think there's a chance Ancelotti will come but he wins trophies and that's all the excitement I need.

I totally agree. We'd be unbelievably lucky to play like we currently do AND win trophies under anybody but Klopp. Ancelotti is a winner and trophies are common to him. He even got the Blueshite to 8th. That's like winning the CL for them.

1 hour ago, JohnnyH said:

Without sounding obtuse, I don’t care.  Ancelotti would be here 2-3 seasons maximum. My concern from the moment Klopp announced he was going was that we’d waste one of our greatest ever squads on a long term project manager. Ancelotti has a long history of coming into teams with experienced and good squads and quickly taking them to league titles and/or European cups. How he plays to achieve that doesn’t really concern me that much. 

I think Ancelotti has had his day. He's a trophy winner like Mourinho albeit he's far outlasted him. Their football in this day and age is shit and there is no way on earth we'd entertain it so its a moot point

5 minutes ago, Smell The Glove said:

I think Ancelotti has had his day. He's a trophy winner like Mourinho albeit he's far outlasted him. The football in this day and age is shit and there is no way on earth we'd entertain it so its a moot point

Top of La Liga by 8 points, Champions League quarter finals, and top scores in La Liga is pretty good for someone who’s had his day. And I think if we can’t get our first or second choice long term appointments, then I think we’d entertain him in a heartbeat if he expressed an interest. In my opinion obviously. 

2 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

Top of La Liga by 8 points, Champions League quarter finals, and top scores in La Liga is pretty good for someone who’s had his day. And I think if we can’t get our first or second choice long term appointments, then I think we’d entertain him in a heartbeat if he expressed an interest. In my opinion obviously. 

Do you know any Real Madrid fans? They are top because there is nobody else. Man City will batter them.

2 hours ago, Chris said:

Haha. The chaos is great. So much good stuff comes from that, which wouldn't happen when I'm hosting because I'm more aware of moving on the discussion/time/getting other people involved, etc. 

So, you mean to say he is the Darwin of podcast hosting?

• Haha 1

I don’t think Alonso will go to Bayern - no real challenge if he wins the league with Leverkusen.

So he will either stay at Leverkusen for another season and then go to Real Madrid, or come to us.

Will maybe depend if Real give him a concrete offer, and maybe what happens with other clubs taking Leverkusen’s best players.
Combined with how much he’d like to come here of course.

2 hours ago, Funkasy said:

Alonso fucked liverpool of for madrid, why would he come back when he gives fuck all about the club?

That was all down to Rafa he made it clear that he wanted to replace Xabi with Gareth Barry. It had nothing to do with a lack of loyalty.

• Upvote 4