You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

West Ham (H) - EFL Cup Quarter Final, Wed 20th Dec 2023 (8:00pm)

Trumo

11 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Getting Piers Morgan/Meghan Markell vibes here. 

It's ok to make a fair assessment of a players performance, the world won't split in two, people do it to other players with no qualms yet for Nunez everyone loses their minds.

He worked hard on the left, it was a far better performance than we've seen through the middle in the last few games, wasn't that threatening but put in the hard yards and deserves his place against Arsenal for it.

Or are you suggesting he was a massive attacking threat as well and I'm being unfair?

12 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Really impressive performance and the midfield carrying the heavy load with the goals.

Curtis Jones is a starter when fully fit. Gifted.

I'd love him to play like that regularly.  I think we have to acknowledge that the opposition just didn't put the effort in.  Kudos to Kudus, he was the exception.   We played well, but we still need to be more clinical in front of goal.  That could and should have been 10.

Moyes must have fallen out with most of that team, the bog-eyed herbert.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

It's ok to make a fair assessment of a players performance, the world won't split in two, people do it to other players with no qualms yet for Nunez everyone loses thir minds.

He worked hard on the left, it was a far better performance than we've seen through the middle in the last few games, wasn't that threatening but put in the hard yards and deserves his place against Arsenal for it.

Or are you suggesting he was a massive attacking threat as well and I'm being unfair?

I think it's more that you post about him constantly and it's always, always weighted against him.

He got a great assist & forced a brilliant save on to the post tonight, it's not like he was just running about doing hard work.

Take a couple of fucking days off maybe.

• Upvote 7

Good first half and very good second half. Besides Villa at home this was our best performance this season.

Pressing and intensity was excellent all over, which meant we restricted them to very few opportunities, and not least the pressing mean we turn defence into attack high up the field, which is an equally important benefit from it.

Hard to pick our man of the match, Tsimikas, Endo, Van Dijk, Nunez and Ellliott all very good. But Jones gets it from me. His attacking contributions are probably easiest to notice, but his running, pressing and energy off the ball is even more important to the team I reckon, and the reason why we won so many matches with him in the team at the end of last season. 

Also very nice to see Tsimikas improving game by game when given a run in the team. After his shocking display in the EL game he’s been very good.

Four bad performances in the league and 10 points, one very good performance tonight and through to the semis.

2 minutes ago, Mook said:

I think it's more that you post about him constantly and it's always, always weighted against him.

He got a great assist & forced a brilliant save on to the post tonight, it's not like he was just running about doing hard work.

Take a couple of fucking days off maybe.

At least maybe give himself a self imposed limit of maximum 20 posts about Numez per day?

Very good performance against a very passive West Ham. The intent was there from the beginning, and we were playing with poise and purpose, but just lacking the correct final ball or shot.

Moyes is never about playing on the front foot and taking the initiative, but his teams usually have a robustness about them. They were unbelievably passive tonight, to the point where I was wondering if something was up with their players. In the pre-match presser reports I saw yesterday, the assistant manager mentioned something about illness in the camp, so that might have had something to do with it. I just can't imagine they turned up completely not arsed, which is the other conclusion you could draw from the level of dominance we forced.

The number of times we could pick out a man just in the final third, and even more so the number of times we could just run at them while they backed off and backed off was something else. Even Joe drew a save from Areola after a lovely turn out wide on halfway followed by simply charging on unchallenged to fire an effort at goal. Curtis' second goal came after an unchallenged solo run, and even Ibou was allowed to easily breach the midfield line when setting up Cody for his goal.

Darwin badly needs a goal. He's not getting the breaks at the minute, but he has to keep plugging away.

5-1 is not a true reflection of our total dominance. West Ham were not even value for their 1.

• Upvote 1

A good night that. Plenty for players who need a confidence boost who got one. Jones plays himself into contention. Elliot shows he's maybe got a role to play there in AFCON. The whole left side was probably the best we've seen all season. And interestingly no hybrid right back. Could it be the same for Saturday, with Trent replacing endo? 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Barrington Womble said:

A good night that. Plenty for players who need a confidence boost who got one. Jones plays himself into contention. Elliot shows he's maybe got a role to play there in AFCON. The whole left side was probably the best we've seen all season. And interestingly no hybrid right back. Could it be the same for Saturday, with Trent replacing endo? 

Like USG I think Endo came off because he's starting against Arsenal and Trent/Konate/Salah came on to get some minutes for the same reason.

Be very surprised if we didn't go back to the same system against Arsenal