You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

8 minutes ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

Fucking hell this midfield rebuild has so far comprised of more destroying than rebuilding.

I am not bothered about losing either but two additional first team quality CMs need to be bought, in addition to a CB. I am very very worried given past summers that we'll get one good CM and be told that's it.

Although he was shite at it, Hendo was a 6 option. We will essentially be losing all senior options at 6, with Bajectic our only remaining DM. We will need a top quality first choice DM and a prospect DM as a minimum.

Its weird how we always wait to sell before scrabbling to buy (if indeed we do). 

Why don't we just identify our targets, negotiate for them, get them in and then deal with sales?

1 minute ago, TheHowieLama said:

Fabinho hasn't. As far as I know there hasn't been any conversations there with the player.

There is a rumored bid - which would certainly be accepted. As it should.

It is the opposite of the Henderson situation.

Pretty sure I read Paul Joyce saying that the feeling at the club is that an offer coming in means Fabinho has already indicated he is willing to leave. I think this is the wording: The fact that Al Ittihad made an official offer for Fabinho indicates that the player is willing to go for the new challenge.

Joyce is basically on our payroll, he probably eats lunch at the fucking canteen, so I would take this as a strong indicator that both deals are happening.

1 minute ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Its weird how we always wait to sell before scrabbling to buy (if indeed we do). 

Why don't we just identify our targets, negotiate for them, get them in and then deal with sales?

The reason why is because we have owners who are incredibly risk averse with regards to player acquisition. John Henry probably gets IBS hearing about what Boehly is doing at Chelsea. FSG manage through the lens that the risk of leaving us short for a season is better than the risk of having players on the books they can't shift.

I actually think it is these kind of situations that the club remains prepared for by all of their bollocks "monitoring" phases with players. I think we just keep leads warm in case we ever come into money.

We are about to come into circa 60m (and about 400K pw on wages freed up), so time to scramble I guess.

The situation at Real Madrid is potentially interesting and something if we are serious about bringing in real quality we could do a lot worse than looking at.

Their midfielders might be somewhat unsettled by Bellingham coming in, and they could well be looking at needing money to get Mbappe......that possibly opens up the prospect of a move for Valverde or Tchouameni - at least we could/should test the waters....

is that the rebuild then????

I have no idea - you can't decide when other teams will make a bid though so your point was not taken.

My guess is we will, and were planning to, bring in one more player regardless of what happens with Saudis.

That would be the rebuild.

8 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

We just did that. Twice.

Facts have no place here. Let the masochists jerk off with a kebab skewer down his urethra, while riffling his hoop with a pineapple and shouting “FSG OUT NOW”.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, TheHowieLama said:

I have no idea - you can't decide when other teams will make a bid though so your point was not taken.

My guess is we will, and were planning to, bring in one more player regardless of what happens with Saudis.

That would be the rebuild.

Why do we need to worry about teams making bids on our players in the first place? Deal with the needs of the team first.

If we have an idea about who we want to bring in for a rebuild, and lets be honest two won't cut it, get the players the boss wants and then cut ties without panic.

7 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I wonder if our interest in Colwill would stop any such interest in Caicedo?

Is there actually any chance of us getting Colwill this summer or is it just transfer nonsense? I ask because he has 2 years on his contract and it's Chelsea. Next year maybe, but I don't see them selling this summer.

Why do we need to worry about teams making bids on our players in the first place? Deal with the needs of the team first.

If we have an idea about who we want to bring in for a rebuild, and lets be honest two won't cut it, get the players the boss wants and then cut ties without panic.

Erm, because you can't sell them without one?

You tried to make a point about FSG, tbh it was bit of a mealy mouthed one as well given the last bit.

It's weird how we always wait to sell before scrabbling to buy (if indeed we do). 

The last three windows are the opposite of that. If you believe the fellas who eat lunch with the team we moved most of our recent purchases up in the timeline.

What are you talking about?

We shouldn't have to rely on sales in the first place. We shouldn't have to rely on getting wages off the books, we've already done that at the start of the summer.

And the last bit you bolded, selling players doesn't guarantee that the cash will be used in the first place under these owners.

2 minutes ago, M_B said:

Is there actually any chance of us getting Colwill this summer or is it just transfer nonsense? I ask because he has 2 years on his contract and it's Chelsea. Next year maybe, but I don't see them selling this summer.

I don't get the fuss tbh. He is certainly a top prospect for his age (as was Gomez, he arguably was better) but he is not walking into our first 11 - he has played substantially less PL level than Lavia for instance.