You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

Also if we are moving to a back 3 with the ball it's very hard to find a CB with his ability in the air who can also seemingly play isolated wide. I very much doubt it happens but he looks the perfect lcb if we move to a 3

3 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

He's 95th percentile for all centre backs in winning aerial duels and he plays in probably the most demanding league for that. You have to be dominant to do that. And he's mobile and really good on the ball. 

The only worry is sample size but on the face of it he is one of the most talented defenders and in every way.

Is that right, 95th percentile eh?  Pretty pretty pretty good.  Maybe I'm failing the eye test.

15 hours ago, Jurgen Knows said:

I read some of the comments, mostly from Al Ittihad fans who are not too chuffed about having him.

Really? Jesus.

29 year old Brazilian international, first choice at Liverpool and has won literally everything, and fans of a team nobody outside of the middle east had even heard of until this summer aren't too chuffed about it?

Stick this in this shitness of modern footy thread.

2 hours ago, Anubis said:

Chelsea don’t want to sell so I think Colwill is a non-starter. 

While I think I agree, apparently they are offering him a new contract, what if he turns it down? Or he’s not convinced of his role in the squad under Pochettino? 

His current deal ends in 2025. This summer is the time they’d likely get maximum money for him. Given their potential FFP issues, I’m not sure they could turn down whatever price we’d give them as it would be pure profit. 

They’ll be paying off Forfana, Badiashile & Cucurella for the next 8 years. Any sale of those players won’t bring much money back in. I know Thiago Silva is likely in his last season, if Colwill refuses his contract, they’ll need money to replace him. 

I agree it’s unlikely. Lots and lots of “ifs” and “buts”. We’d need him to turn down his contract, basically say whatever they offer him he won’t sign and then push to leave, Chelsea to soften their stance and us to be incredibly bold in forcing the issue. 

Seeing some mentions of Marc Guéhi from Palace this morning as an  alternative. 

43 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

While I think I agree, apparently they are offering him a new contract, what if he turns it down? Or he’s not convinced of his role in the squad under Pochettino? 

His current deal ends in 2025. This summer is the time they’d likely get maximum money for him. Given their potential FFP issues, I’m not sure they could turn down whatever price we’d give them as it would be pure profit. 

They’ll be paying off Forfana, Badiashile & Cucurella for the next 8 years. Any sale of those players won’t bring much money back in. I know Thiago Silva is likely in his last season, if Colwill refuses his contract, they’ll need money to replace him. 

I agree it’s unlikely. Lots and lots of “ifs” and “buts”. We’d need him to turn down his contract, basically say whatever they offer him he won’t sign and then push to leave, Chelsea to soften their stance and us to be incredibly bold in forcing the issue. 

I'd expect Guehi to be basically as expensive as Colwill. Long contract, English tax, Premier League proven tax, Palace under no pressure to sell.

If we'd have been bolder we could have nicked him around the time he went to Palace.

51 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Yeah, lots of reports he wants assurances of playing time. Chelsea are in a tough spot there. Could be stringing us along though, to force Pochettino to play him and pay him a starter's wage.

1 hour ago, dave u said:

Really? Jesus.

29 year old Brazilian international, first choice at Liverpool and has won literally everything, and fans of a team nobody outside of the middle east had even heard of until this summer aren't too chuffed about it?

Stick this in this shitness of modern footy thread.

These fans watch the premier league and have noted the drop in his form. I’ve read similar comments about him here. He should obviously still do much better there regardless.

I for one haven’t written him off yet and think he will do better for us next season. I’ve always been a big fan of him.

3 minutes ago, Leyton388 said:

Crazy but Boehly will probably offer £200m 

Maybe they need to sell us Colwill to be able to afford him!

I take Brighton’s point though - Rice has just been sold for >£100m. Caicedo is younger and has longer on his contract. 

Thinking out loud, not saying this is true or anything, it’s a hypothetical, I’d have thought Brighton and Caicedo would have had an agreement when he signed his contact on what they’d accept to allow him to leave. If Brighton have shifted the goalposts from, I dunno, c.£75m to c.£100m, I could see Caicedo being pissed off. 

It’s a shame we can’t afford him, given he’s fine at right back as well, he’d be perfect in our new midfield set up.