You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sunak's Budget Speech

dockers_strike

10 minutes ago, Strontium said:

Of course they should have to pay tax on it. They should pay plenty because they did NOTHING to earn it. Most of us have to pay hefty taxes on the money which we go out and earn.

Just on this, if you give a 50” top of the range tv that you bought and paid VAT on to a family member would you expect them to cough up another 20% VAT or whatever the fuck the theft rate is up to the taxman? I mean, they did nothing to earn it.

1 minute ago, Captain Howdy said:

Well what can I tell you, I couldn’t disagree more, I paid the tax that was due, it’s mine to do with what I wish. I own it, the end.

Yeah, we pay tax on earnings then we have the nerve to spend our disposable income to buy a home that kept architects, brickies, sparkies and plumber in work.

I did nothing to my house either. Except pay a big deposit on it, wait for it to be built so rented a gaff until it was, pay the mortgage, council tax, maintain it so it didnt fall into disrepair and make additions to it. Maddening, isnt it?

Wonder if he's going to voluntarily pay some tax on his house when it goes up in value. When he's done NOTHING to it of course.

5 minutes ago, Rushies tash said:

I can only presume Stronts means to increase the tax on the windfall from selling a property inherited by children once their parents die, which happens now anyway (over a certain threshold - £500k, I believe).

Well there's Inheritance Tax and there's Capital Gains Tax which I believe only comes into question if you own 2 or more properties and sell one at a profit.

Not sure but I thought Inheritance Tax was on assetts valued at £350k and more. Normally a house if in joint names wouldnt trigger this until the sole survivor died.

1 minute ago, dockers_strike said:

Well there's Inheritance Tax and there's Capital Gains Tax which I believe only comes into question if you own 2 or more properties and sell one at a profit.

I presume he meant inheritance. It was the "release equity" which made me uneasy. Instead of questioning the conditions which got the economy into this state, sell up and shut up. I imagine the £1m properties wouldnt be worth that for long if everyone sold up.at he same time anyway.

1 minute ago, Captain Howdy said:

Seems to me that no matter what you do the Government just wants money off you (fuck you pay me)  is there a nation on earth that pays as much tax as we do?

It's the tory way. The tax burden is at a 70 year high. Even the tory economists are saying Sunak's fucked it up.

34 minutes ago, Strontium said:

I'm pretty relaxed about increasing tax on unearned wealth. The current situation, where wealthy pensioners are passing on enormously valuable estates to their children, is only entrenching inequality in the system.

It’s not unearned wealth, it’s been earned by me and I’ve chosen to give it to my children.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

Seems to me that no matter what you do the Government just wants money off you (fuck you pay me)  is there a nation on earth that pays as much tax as we do?

It's where the tax goes though that's the problem. In the last two years much of it has gone on blag PPE, writing off 12bn of Covid fraud and paying Andrew's nonce bill.

The country is a bottomless pit of thieves and grifters.

I don't think a lot of traditional Tories understand what the party has become. 

When the government say they want to reduce tax and free up business, they're not talking about the lads down the golf club, they're talking about international billionaires.

They've got zero respect for what Tories claim to love. Not the queen, not the union, not law and order, not the military, not the church, none of it. 

Literally ALL they care about is personal wealth.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Rushies tash said:

I presume he meant inheritance. It was the "release equity" which made me uneasy. Instead of questioning the conditions which got the economy into this state, sell up and shut up. I imagine the £1m properties wouldnt be worth that for long if everyone sold up.at he same time anyway.

One of me arl fella's mates wasnt too good with money. Him and his wife took equity release on their house. The equity release company over stretched itself and went tits up.

He got evicted from the house he thought he owned and could live a comfortable life for the rest of his days.

Guy would does my insurance used to sell ER. He said use your savings first and dont take ER in the current market until it's properly regulated and bedded in. Wise words I think.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

It's where the tax goes though that's the problem. In the last two years much of it has gone on blag PPE, writing off 12bn of Covid fraud and paying Andrew's nonce bill.

The country is a bottomless pit of thieves and grifters.

I don't think a lot of traditional Tories understand what the party has become. 

When the government say they want to reduce tax and free up business, they're not talking about the lads down the golf club, they're talking about international billionaires.

They've got zero respect for what Tories claim to love. Not the queen, not the union, not law and order, not the military, not the church, none of it. 

Literally ALL they care about is personal wealth.

This.

1 minute ago, dockers_strike said:

One of me arl fella's mates wasnt too good with money. Him and his wife took equity release on their house. The equity release company over stretched itself and went tits up.

He got evicted from the house he thought he owned and could live a comfortable life for the rest of his days.

Guy would does my insurance used to sell ER. He said use your savings first and dont take ER in the current market until it's properly regulated and bedded in. Wise words I think.

Yep. I imagine there are plenty who have seen these daytime equity release adverts and not fully understood what they were signing up to.

5 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Wouldn’t touch ER with a shitty stick. Yet more chancers looking for a bite.

22 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Yeah, we pay tax on earnings then we have the nerve to spend our disposable income to buy a home that kept architects, brickies, sparkies and plumber in work.

I did nothing to my house either. Except pay a big deposit on it, wait for it to be built so rented a gaff until it was, pay the mortgage, council tax, maintain it so it didnt fall into disrepair and make additions to it. Maddening, isnt it?

Wonder if he's going to voluntarily pay some tax on his house when it goes up in value. When he's done NOTHING to it of course.

Well done once again for completely and utterly missing the point.  It’s quite a skill you’ve got. 

4 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Well done once again for completely and utterly missing the point.  It’s quite a skill you’ve got. 

For someone who's 49 year old going on 50, I can tell you need no practice at being a cunt, Spartacus. And unlike you, I dont bleed from my mouth every 28 days.

19 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

The problem isn't paying tax, the problem is wasting it or chucking it to their friends. 

I don't mind paying double the tax I do if it was spent responsibly for the betterment of public services and upkeep of the public realm. 

The low-tax argument is prehistoric in its outlook, but also fucking two-faced.  Fine, let's all pay zero tax, survival of the fittest and strongest.  Sounds like Gotham City. The rich will be deeply disappointed to realise that Batman doesn't exist. 

• Upvote 1