You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2022 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

7 hours ago, aRdja said:

Looks very skilful and I like that he’s a right sided attacker, but his numbers on the other hand aren’t great. From what I’ve read he’s a snide, not sure that’s something we’d want at the club especially around our younger players like Elliott, Gordon and Carvalho. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, MegadriveMan said:

That proves it must be based on the youth team football then, as Dier was born in England, played for the English national team, but didn't actually play in England until he was twenty.

The whole thing is stupid and needs an overhaul.

I'm pretty sure the rule has been built in a specific way in order to navigate EU employment rules. I guess that gives some scope for PL to change, but I think UEFA have their own version don't they? So they're stuck there and really we need to align to them. 

The other interesting thing is in the past we have been able to bring EU citizens to the country at 16. But I am pretty sure FIFA have an 18 year old rule for signing young players from other countries, which they've never been able to enforce across the EU for the same discrimination laws. I think the age you could sign people was set country by country, but once someone was eligible to be signed by national law, the discrimination employment laws applied - as was freedom of travel, which clearly we no longer have. So going forward it should be increasingly difficult for english teams to bring in U18 player to be able to make the home grown laws, as these players will be unlikely to get work permits in the UK. 

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Chairman Meow said:

It's something I've wondered about quite a lot over the last few years.

If you watch old videos of players like Rush and quite a few others it's actually quite hard to definitively say they have a stronger foot and if you read the Geoff Twentyman one of the keys things Liverpool always looked at was being able to "go both ways" <insert Kenneth Williams "oooh" gif here>. Even someone like John Barnes who I think most would think of as left footed, if you watch any compilations of his goals he was absolutely brilliant with his right as well. 

Right now I can't think of any player off the top of my head who seems to be genuinely two footed, or at the very least so good with both feet that they don't seem to have a really dominant foot. 

Seems to be something which has totally left the game. 

Thiago and Trent are both great off their left but stil definitely right footed.

Think the most two footed player I remember playing for us was Luis Garcia, I remember he took corners with his right foot sometimes despite being left footed.

6 hours ago, Lee909 said:

It's ridiculous 

Even at the levels I played at my Dad was on at me so much and forced me to use my left foot to the point I played on the left as I was able to use it to a similar level. How the fuck these lads makes pro when the can't use their weaker foot is amazing 

More of a preference, Messi leans massively to his left foot so ....

8 hours ago, aRdja said:

Looks very skilful and I like that he’s a right sided attacker, but his numbers on the other hand aren’t great. From what I’ve read he’s a snide, not sure that’s something we’d want at the club especially around our younger players like Elliott, Gordon and Carvalho. 

You get a better feel for him by watching this.  Not for me Clive. 

17 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

Thiago and Trent are both great off their left but stil definitely right footed.

Think the most two footed player I remember playing for us was Luis Garcia, I remember he took corners with his right foot sometimes despite being left footed.

Kostas is pretty good with both feet too. 

Abraham's good, he'd cost too much for what he'd give us though. Only went to Roma last year and he cost them £36m, they'd be looking for £50m at least.

Maybe he's got a release clause, that's the only way I'd see us going for him. 24 already too, not a kid any more.

2 hours ago, Pete said:

37 year old Cristiano Ronaldo wants to stay and help make them great again.  

Great stuff.....let him eat up loads of wages and watch it all turn toxic as he sulks when they are shite....which of course won't be his fault at all.

1 hour ago, an tha said:

Great stuff.....let him eat up loads of wages and watch it all turn toxic as he sulks when they are shite....which of course won't be his fault at all.

He's only staying because no-one would pay him anywhere near what he's getting. 

15 hours ago, Lee909 said:

Michael Olise is worth watching. Though probably difficult to get as he only signed for Palace last year

Not sure where I heard it but they said he took a low wage at Palace in order to include a relatively low buy out clause in his contract.