You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Wokeism

Bjornebye

9 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Some interesting thoughts and observations on the dangers of the "war on woke".

It's interesting that.

I've suspected for a while that a lot of these stories are blown out of proportion (much like anti EU 'wonky banana ban' type shit was) in order to encourage a right wing backlash. 

I also actually think a lot of the mentalists who push this stuff are being enabled/encouraged to do so by people who will benefit from that backlash. If you look at a lot of these people (low level celebrities, Twitter influencer types etc) they wouldn't ordinarily have the clout to be making the kind of news that they currently often do, it's almost like it's being amplified.

This stuff does go hand in hand with the rise of fascism. Nazism etc came on the heels of the roaring 20s, cabaret clubs etc and part of the right's toolbox for wesponising the mob was cultivating the idea that only a strong party or government could reimpose some sensibility and social norms.

• Upvote 3

51 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Maybe it's one for the 'growing older' thread, but I never thought it would become perceived to be a bad thing to care for people other than yourself.

There is a difference between caring for yourself and caring for yourself enough to ruin things for others. 

Sue Barker has done a write up in the daily Mail about her sacking from question of sport. Comments section is saying the bbc had a “woke” agenda. I’m gutted because she was sound as were Tufnell and Dawson but can anyone tell me what’s woke about the changes? Because as far as I can see they are saying “woke” because the two captains aren’t white Caucasian. Unless anyone can tell me what I might be missing? 

4 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Sue Barker has done a write up in the daily Mail about her sacking from question of sport. Comments section is saying the bbc had a “woke” agenda. I’m gutted because she was sound as were Tufnell and Dawson but can anyone tell me what’s woke about the changes? Because as far as I can see they are saying “woke” because the two captains aren’t white Caucasian. Unless anyone can tell me what I might be missing? 

I don't think it's woke, more trying to replicate A League Of Their Own. I liked the old Question of Sport, but he new captains are pretty good, especially Sam Quek. The new host and format, not so much.

6 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Replacing a woman with Paddy fucking McGuinness is "woke". Obviously.

I think they'd just tried to modernize it. Question of sport somehow managed to make sport seem boring, crusty cunts agogo.

I caught some of it the other day and it looks like they've toned down the hijinks already. McGuiness just asking questions rather than doing all his ging gang goolioo bullshit.

Also, what percentage of sports people are white men anyway? 

12 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

It obviously isn’t woke. 

But it’s fucking obscene that cunt McGuinness is employed by the bbc. 

Yeah it’s shite now. 

I’m still dying to know why a certain ilk of cunt think it’s woke. Maybe a few of them on here could shine a light on it? 

• Downvote 1

On 04/09/2022 at 12:21, lifetime fan said:

Stewart Lee on BBC2 tonight. 

6B267AC2-5A96-42A0-893B-0A331B9EC2EC.png

Thanks for the link. We had tickets for this specific show at York and had no idea it was being recorded, but we had to jib it off. My missus’s dad had just gone into hospital and we went to visit him, with the thought we’d do that (in york hospital) them crack on to the gig, but we just had to jib it. My missus wasn’t in the right headspace and we didn’t want to rush the visit. Great it’s something we could watch tonight, with her dad still in hospital, and now in an acute ward and really seriously ill to the point of her coming home early from our family holiday last week in case she might not get to see him again.

• Upvote 2

On 05/09/2022 at 00:56, sir roger said:

Maybe it's one for the 'growing older' thread, but I never thought it would become perceived to be a bad thing to care for people other than yourself.

You probably never envisioned Tory government after Tory government being elected despite treating it's population like absolute shite though,in your defence as a young man.

• 4 weeks later...

Lawrenson said this week he was let go from the BBC as he was a white male.

I read a comment from him once where he was going somewhere with his ex wife and in the debate about where to go he said "I pay so I say". 

There's no coming back from that prehistoric thinking for me

5 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

What a horrible cunt

I saw Ellie at Stockport train station last week, she was lovely and we wished her luck.  She said she was very excited.   

Now I know it sounds stupid but I didn’t realise how small she was.  She couldn’t reach the button to open the door.  

• Upvote 1