You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The GF's Favourite Ever Song - Round 1 - Group D

Bjornebye

The GF's Favourite Ever Song - Round 1 - Group D  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Pick Your Favourite

• The Cure - Friday I'm In Love
    • The Beatles - Why My Guitar Gently Weeps
    • Cream - Sunshine Of Your Love
    • Meat Loaf - Paradise By The Dashboard Light
    • Bob Dylan - If You See Her Say Hello

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 20/09/21 at 16:42

4 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

If there are better versions out there then they should have been nominated in the first place. For instance, I'm not going to vote for Leonard Cohen mumbling his way through Hallelujah but I could have voted for Jeff Buckley's stunning cover.

I'm the only person who has said they prefer an alternative version & I didn't nominate the song.

I was merely adding to the discussion, it's a great song anyway & belongs in the tournament.

2 minutes ago, Mook said:

I'm the only person who has said they prefer an alternative version & I didn't nominate the song.

I was merely adding to the discussion, it's a great song anyway & belongs in the tournament.

Aye, and Ape posted some other versions too just before you, I was only speaking in general terms anyway.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Aye, and Ape posted some other versions too just before you, I was only speaking in general terms anyway.

I don't often agree with you on music but your Leonard Cohen shout is spot on. Has to be up there with Ian Brown as the worst 'singer' to make a living out of it.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Mook said:

Same, I didn’t nominate the song but there are other versions I like so I’ll post them if I feel like it. I prefer the version nominated anyway, though the acoustic one is also great. 

4 minutes ago, Mook said:

I don't often agree with you on music but your Leonard Cohen shout is spot on. Has to be up there with Ian Brown as the worst 'singer' to make a living out of it.

Cohen got away with it as he's an incredible writer.

Not sure what Ian Brown's secret is.

1 hour ago, Sugar Ape said:

Of course it is which is why there are loads of superb covers by great artists knocking about. Feel bad for Cream coming up against it because that is also a great song but there should only be one winner here. The other three in the group are not of the same quality. 

The Prince version of this is just superb. Apparently he didn’t attend any rehearsals and just turned up on the night and did this solo. The guy I feel for is the bloke who did a little guitar solo earlier in the song, he must have felt a proper cunt watching the Prince one. 

1 hour ago, Mook said:

Cohen could laugh at himself about it though. There used to be tradition at the live shows that when he sang from The Tower of Song  “I was born with the gift of a golden voice” everybody laughed and clapped. 

Leonard Cohen was fucking brilliant, that's why he made it as a singer. Listen to anything from the first half of his career - Suzanne, Sister of Mercy, So Long Marianne, Famous Blue Raincoat, and on and on.

His voice changed as he got older, and I'm not a fan of it, but he'd already written some of the greatest songs and albums ever. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

Leonard Cohen was fucking brilliant, that's why he made it as a singer. Listen to anything from the first half of his career - Suzanne, Sister of Mercy, So Long Marianne, Famous Blue Raincoat, and on and on.

His voice changed as he got older, and I'm not a fan of it, but he'd already written some of the greatest songs and albums ever. 

Like Dylan, he wrote songs that suited his voice, which is why other people's cover versions are usually second best.

16 hours ago, Boss said:

Always liked the stripped-down version of "If You See Her Say Hello" better than the album version. In fact, everything Dylan does is usually better if it's just him and an acoustic guitar.

That's brilliant, thanks for sharing.

49 minutes ago, NoelM said:

That's brilliant, thanks for sharing.

No problem. It's from the New York sessions of Blood on the Tracks. Initially, the album was just Dylan with an acoustic guitar. It's very difficult to find, but there's an album called "Blood on the Tapes" with all the tracks from that session on it. 

The lyrics in some of the songs are different, and the mood is more sombre. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Boss said:

No problem. It's from the New York sessions of Blood on the Tracks. Initially, the album was just Dylan with an acoustic guitar. It's very difficult to find, but there's an album called "Blood on the Tapes" with all the tracks from that session on it. 

The lyrics in some of the songs are different, and the mood is more sombre. 

I got a copy off what.cd years back and agree it's a wonderful album.