You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Russia v Ukraine

Bjornebye

6 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

Guardian live updates

Maybe he can try focusing on that then instead of calling for a no fly zone almost every day that could start a world war off. And if he's so bothered about dialogue he could also suggest the same to Biden and Blinken who seem more bothered about shipping weapons into Ukraine for a proxy war.

Easy to say when you’ve not got bombs falling on your head. Maybe Putin should stop killing kids and talk, then the west wouldn’t need to try to get them weapons to defend themselves against a unilateral invasion and wholesale slaughter. 

You’ll be very embarrassed to look back on these posts one day. You’ll ask yourself ‘what kind of mindset resulted in me watching Russia indiscriminately bombing civilians, maternity wards, and shooting families fleeing for their lives and choosing to criticise Zelensky trying to defend himself and the Western powers trying to help them do so’. At least I hope you will. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 7

29 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Possible good news this, hopefully some sort of agreement can be reached which will lead to a ceasefire and the withdrawal of Russian troops, although I might be being overly optimistic.

Yeah if Lavrov is in the house it means they mean business.

31 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Easy to say when you’ve not got bombs falling on your head. Maybe Putin should stop killing kids and talk, then the west wouldn’t need to try to get them weapons to defend themselves against a unilateral invasion and wholesale slaughter. 

You’ll be very embarrassed to look back on these posts one day. You’ll ask yourself ‘what kind of mindset resulted in me watching Russia indiscriminately bombing civilians, maternity wards, and shooting families fleeing for their lives and choosing to criticise Zelensky trying to defend himself and the Western powers trying to help them do so’. At least I hope you will. 

I doubt that. On the anniversary of the violent attempt to overturn democracy on Capitol Hill, I reminded him of some of the comments he posted on here that day and subsequently about that, in the hope that it might make him reflect on his belief that the sources he seeks out are true and everyone else is taken in by propaganda, as well as the hypocrisy of the latest bout of peace-loving, freedom-fighting, anti-authoritarianism rhetoric he was indulging in, re the covid restrictions.

I might as well have been speaking to a door. The guy's in far too deep. He holds up Glen Greenwald as a paragon of truth FFS.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

He’s off his head. Notice how he always says things like “I said this years ago” “I’ve been talking about this for years” pure narcissist. Absolute weirdo on his own planet. 

57 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I've never supported Russia invading Ukraine and it's sickening to see what's happening. And no I don't think I'll ever be embarrassed at not being interested in a no fly zone in this situation or another US proxy war that'll result in a lot more devastation for Ukraine if it carries on.

I suppose the problem for some is that Russia invading Ukraine has to be framed as being the result only of Putin's madness. Now though with the focus all over the world being on Ukraine and more of the history from 2014 onwards starting to be known that's never going to work from here on out.

The people I feel bad for are the Ukrainian population having to deal with all of the horrors of war and the Russian population that now have to deal with the most insane set of sanctions and cancel culture that's ever been seen from the west. The people I don't feel bad for are those like Putin, Zelensky and Biden. One started the invasion of Ukraine, another talks about dialogue but also seems clueless about what a no fly zone would mean as he demands it almost every day, the other mainly seems obsessed with sanctions and supplying weapons instead of working to end this peacefully.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

I've never supported Russia invading Ukraine and it's sickening to see what's happening. And no I don't think I'll ever be embarrassed at not being interested in a no fly zone in this situation or another US proxy war that'll result in a lot more devastation for Ukraine if it carries on.

I suppose the problem for some is that Russia invading Ukraine has to be framed as being the result only of Putin's madness. Now though with the focus all over the world being on Ukraine and more of the history from 2014 onwards starting to be known that's never going to work from here on out.

The people I feel bad for are the Ukrainian population having to deal with all of the horrors of war and the Russian population that now have to deal with the most insane set of sanctions and cancel culture that's ever been seen from the west. The people I don't feel bad for are those like Putin, Zelensky and Biden. One started the invasion of Ukraine, another talks about dialogue but also seems clueless about what a no fly zone would mean as he demands it almost every day, the other mainly seems obsessed with sanctions and supplying weapons instead of working to end this peacefully.

Agreed. You won’t feel embarrassed. 

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Yeah if Lavrov is in the house it means they mean business.

Imagine being in a high stakes poker game and Lavrov walks in, pulls up a chair, looks at you with that facial expression he wears and puts a load of chips down? I'd probably instantly give him all my money, my watch, keys to the car, shirt off my back and walk home, save myself some time. 

This is from a former US ambassador to Russia in 2008, he's now head of the CIA and probably not a Putin apologist.

NYET MEANS NYET: RUSSIA'S NATO ENLARGEMENT REDLINES

Classified By: Ambassador William J. Burns. Reasons 1.4 (b) and (d).

5. (C) Ukraine and Georgia's NATO aspirations not only touch a raw nerve in Russia, they engender serious concerns about the consequences for stability in the region. Not only does Russia perceive encirclement, and efforts to undermine Russia's influence in the region, but it also fears unpredictable and uncontrolled consequences which would seriously affect Russian security interests. Experts tell us that Russia is particularly worried that the strong divisions in Ukraine over NATO membership, with much of the ethnic-Russian community against membership, could lead to a major split, involving violence or at worst, civil war. In that eventuality, Russia would have to decide whether to intervene; a decision Russia does not want to have to face.

https://wikileaks.org/plusd/cables/08MOSCOW265_a.html

14 minutes ago, Pureblood said:

"Pro Putin" is the new anti-vax. "You, look, you're pro Putin! You're pro Puti-Puti-Putes!".

So unless you spew out verbatim what the Guardian and BBC are saying, you're "pro Putin".  Cracking stuff. 

Nah, you can’t be pro-Putin unless you’ve had some of the Sputnik. Anything else is just dilettantism.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

There's also the fact that as well as agreeing that Putin invading has definitely been bad, all of us can also support Ukrainian tractor drivers carting off Russian equipment. So there's at least more than one place where there's some common ground.

With all that gear floating around he'll be on his way there now.

Del Boy.jpg

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, tokyojoe said:

With all that gear floating around he'll be on his way there now.

Del Boy.jpg

Ukraine might want to make sure there's no trucker/farmer protests in future like we saw recently in Canada too, winding farmers up could definitely get out of hand with the stuff they have.

• Upvote 1