You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Russia v Ukraine

Bjornebye

1 minute ago, Boss said:

At least if conscription is brought back, and we're caught in a Ukrainian trench, bombed to oblivion, with our legs hanging off, we can console ourselves in the knowledge that Lozza and Dan Hodges will suffer a similar fate. 

And Kirsty Allsopp 

2 minutes ago, Boss said:

At least if conscription is brought back, and we're caught in a Ukrainian trench, bombed to oblivion, with our legs hanging off, we can console ourselves in the knowledge that Lozza and Dan Hodges will suffer a similar fate. 

Not for me, cutoff age is 42 for conscription. I googled it.

3 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Not for me, cutoff age is 42 for conscription. I googled it.

Haha, today presumably.

"Siri, does the British army still reject soldiers with flat feet?"

"Siri, what is the lowest IQ requirement for the British Army?"

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Genuinely don't see what's so surprising about it. He's obsessed by saving face and looking macho, he waded into Georgia and Syria and seemingly doesn't give a flying fuck. No way he was going to be humiliated and withdraw unless he got some sort of major concessions.

Really? Outright unprovoked invasion of a European country, with the population of over 40 million people, which has not happened on this scale since the WWII, if we disregard interventions within the Eastern Block? Syria didn't have larger ground forces involvement and Georgia did move against the breakaway territories they protected. And this must be like ten times bigger than Georgia.

1 hour ago, dockers_strike said:

Like the misguided CND people of the 80's, the handful of Labour MPs are allowed to have their view. But they're wrong about NATO and as the party says, they can be mouthpieces for Putin or mouthpieces for Labour but, not both.

Just read an article in the torygraph which touches on the coldwar fears from early 50s to early 90s was it when the USSR fell.

I went through a very paranoid period of thinking a nuclear war was going to rain down on our heads at any time. It might not have bothered some or they may not even thought about it. All I can say is that sometimes I was very worried.

No sane person wants war and there's no easy answer. But Putin strikes me with his threat 'never before experienced' as very chilling.

When you say misguided..you mean the people who objected to America sticking their nukes here,this ensuring we would be completely wiped from the face of the earth?

1 minute ago, Arniepie said:

When you say misguided..you mean the people who objected to America sticking their nukes here,this ensuring we would be completely wiped from the face of the earth?

Nice try. No, I mean misguided people who dont understand that if you dont have as big a stick as the guy in front of you with a big stick, he is going to at least threaten you and maybe even batter you. But carry on if you want to die on that hill.

2 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Nice try. No, I mean misguided people who dont understand that if you dont have as big a stick as the guy in front of you with a big stick, he is going to at least threaten you and maybe even batter you. But carry on if you want to die on that hill.

The hill that thinking using weapons that could destroy the world many times over isn't the best of ideas?