You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Flying. Everything planes.

rb14

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

F-35 pilot bailing out before a very weird crash the other day

He’ll be a couple of inches shorter today than he was that morning.  I remember reading about those zero/zero ejector seats somewhere and they are brutal. Better than the alternative though. 

6 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

He’ll be a couple of inches shorter today than he was that morning.  I remember reading about those zero/zero ejector seats somewhere and they are brutal. Better than the alternative though. 

Goosed into the canopy? You would think they'd have designed them better since 1985 

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

Goosed into the canopy? You would think they'd have designed them better since 1985 

They work at zero speed and zero altitude so have to pack more of a punch to get the seat (and pilot) high enough for the parachute to work and far enough away that you don’t survive the ejection and then float gently into the burning wreckage.  Like being fired out of a cannon. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

They work at zero speed and zero altitude so have to pack more of a punch to get the seat (and pilot) high enough for the parachute to work and far enough away that you don’t survive the ejection and then float gently into the burning wreckage.  Like being fired out of a cannon. 

Ouch. If I was going to die in a fighter jet I'd want it to be far more dramatic than an ejection fuck up of the way that plane went. I'd least want to take out a few Migs 

• 4 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, manwiththestick said:

Just seen some clips of that Nepal plane crash, the view from a nearby house as the plane veers to one side and goes down but also a clip of a guy on board filming as it crashes into flames.

Tragic and doesn't help my fear of flying.

Horrible to watch. It's weird the one filmed from the balcony because it looks like it intentionally banks left into the village. Fuck flying. 

• 4 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

These cunts often fly over the islands on training exercises and without fail do a fake landing at the airport, ie they make the approach and fly about 20 yards above the runway and then climb away. 

They say it's training, but it's just them having a laugh.  Our runway isn't actually long enough to land one. 

Screenshot_20230214-174440.png

How far out are the Isles of Scilly from the coast of Cornwall out of interest? 

On 21/12/2022 at 20:49, Bjornebye said:

F-35 pilot bailing out before a very weird crash the other day

Another one for the order book...

Fort Worth is the final assembly factory for the F-35 so I wonder if it was on a test flight?

12 hours ago, Section_31 said:

This genuinely gave me a hard on.

Screenshot_20230214_193226_Chrome.jpg

If you like the F-16, I'd recommend going to RIAT. It's usually F-16 city that show. Usually at least 3 displays with F-16s. The Belgian one is usually the best.

I was there in 2019 when this happened and I genuinely thought he was going to stuff it as he banks right. First display of the day too:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-65843179.amp

Article is about a B17 at Duxford.

There’s only 4 airworthy examples left, 3 of them in the States, and they recently discovered some issues on their wings so the UK one was grounded for a time. 

Brilliant day out at Duxford. 

Looks like yesterday and today are the summer air show there. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...