You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Arsenal (N) Charity Shield - 29/8/20 - 16:30

Bjornebye

7 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

More teams are gonna setup like this in the coming season.

Agree with this but I think it’s fair to say that most teams have set up like this against us since February. 

You could have set your watch by Arsenal setting up like this so I was surprised to see a workmanlike starting midfield with no Keita. 

3 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Can our midfielders act like midfielders and find good passes to the forwards for once? That would be a welcome change.

I do think that if we play 3 strikers then they have to create stuff for themselves - a three man midfield has plenty on its plate.

Second half will be better when we bring Salah and Firmino on.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Our whole method of creating chances is passing it to James Milner and Robertson crossing it in. The need really couldn't be bigger.

Assuming we are interested but keep faffing around, I think a team like Chelsea or City would be well-served by signing Thiago even if they have little intention of making him a pivotal part of the team, because it’s going to be difficult for us to mount a serious title challenge with more departures than arrivals for the second consecutive season.

We haven’t become a bad team overnight, we're still almost certain to finish within the top four, but City's decline last season shows how quickly things can change, and their resources are on another level entirely. If they can slip by 17 points from one season to the next, it would be the height of arrogance to believe that we can’t find ourselves 20-25 down.

Looking at the goal again Williams is caught between coming in and covering Maitland Niles and covering Aubamayang. Wijnaldum is stood watching Maitland Niles run, and Salah doesn’t track Tierney’s run. Poor all round because once Williams is caught Aubamayang has him.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Looking at the goal again Williams is caught between coming in and covering Maitland Niles and covering Aubamayang. Wijnaldum is stood watching Maitland Niles run, and Salah doesn’t track Tierney’s run. Poor all round because once Williams is caught Aubamayang has him.

Agreed. Harsh to blame that on Williams. TAA would have struggled there too. 

Salah got worked out 2 seasons ago by Luke fucking Shaw and he still does the same maddening things every match. Switch him with Manè cos our front 3 just do not click like what everyone thinks they do.

Comes to something when James Milners having to carry us. 

6 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

I do think that if we play 3 strikers then they have to create stuff for themselves - a three man midfield has plenty on its plate.

Second half will be better when we bring Salah and Firmino on.

I get that, but Arsenal have got 3 cb's to cover the forwards but 2 cm's. There's supposed to be a numerical advantage for the midfielders and space for them to do stuff yet they aren't doing shit. Milner is trying but this is a 35 year old.

6 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Genuinely didn't realise bobby was playing.

That’s as close to a Bobby criticism you’ll get on here without being negged to fuck. Bobby is seemingly uncriticisable, but If any other player playing that role puts in that performance, they’d get slated. Not Bobby. He’s immune. Even Mo had criticism last season and he scored 23 goals!

2 minutes ago, liverpoolsno9 said:

That’s as close to a Bobby criticism you’ll get on here without being negged to fuck. Bobby is seemingly uncriticisable, but If any other player playing that role puts in that performance, they’d get slated. Not Bobby. He’s immune. Even Mo had criticism last season and he scored 23 goals!

Said it for a while. The most overrated player I’ve ever seen play for us. Bulletproof Bobby 

1 minute ago, The Guest said:

We’ve been the better team.  We are having all of the ball and have created better chances than them despite them being relatively solid defensively.  Their goal came against the run of play because Williams is a bit out of his depth.

They’re a goal up and playing on the break. Us having the ball is irrelevant when we’re incapable of breaking them down.

3 minutes ago, The Guest said:

We’ve been the better team.  We are having all of the ball and have created better chances than them despite them being relatively solid defensively.  Their goal came against the run of play because Williams is a bit out of his depth.

We had no shots on target in the first half.

14 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I get that, but Arsenal have got 3 cb's to cover the forwards but 2 cm's. There's supposed to be a numerical advantage for the midfielders and space for them to do stuff yet they aren't doing shit. Milner is trying but this is a 35 year old.

I think that's where the full backs come in. Robertson is playing quite well going forward. Can't really say the same about the other side.

I do think Trent and Robbo are irreplaceable in the system we play and the whole thing struggles to function if they're not playing /not playing well.