You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Kostas Tsimikas

YNWAViking

I personally think they are both very close in more or less every aspect, but Robbo just cuts it for me.

He is a duracell bunny and just wont stop working.

He is the left back of the milner mould, as in he will work his bits off no matter how long the game goes on.

I think Robbo is quite a bit more accomplished defensively, particularly his concentration and awareness, communication and last defender / far post work, but that comes in time.

Kostas is an excellent player and I'm sure the workload at left back will become more evenly balanced as time progresses and Klopp continues to build his trust in the fella.

Right now though I think whispers around Robbo's demise are hugely over egging that pudding. Kostas 1 for every 3 of Robbo seems about right to me

47 minutes ago, George Costanza said:

Given the amount of football Robbo has played over the last few years & the amount of ground he covers every game I think its a godsend we have such a brilliant other option in the squad.  He needs to be utilised more.  We really could do with a similar option on the right

Him and Robbo will get rotated every week now I think until end of season

We're very lucky to have two fantastic left backs.  Tsimikas comes in and this conversation of him being ahead of Robertson always follows.  That's a really good sign as it shows how well he can deputise.  But then Robertson comes back in and it's nearly always a wee lightbulb moment where you see exactly why he's first choice.

It's still Robbo as first choice.  That doesn't belittle Tsimikas, it's just that Robertson is operating at a level above him at the moment.  As he is almost all left backs

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

• 1 month later...

I wonder what his assists to games ratio is? Seems he gets an assist almost everytime he plays. His defending is usually good too.

Seems unreal we now probably have the best two left backs in the league after going quite a good number of years with no great options in that position.

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, Supremolad said:

I wonder what his assists to games ratio is? Seems he gets an assist almost everytime he plays. His defending is usually good too.

Seems unreal we now probably have the best two left backs in the league after going quite a good number of years with no great options in that position.

Maybe Cancelo is in the top 3 somewhere.

But yeah, Kostas is totally boss.

Basco’s piece on last night makes the point that he’s good enough to be first choice for everyone below the top three. While I’m still not sure exactly how good he is defensively due to a lack of sustained evidence (not his fault), I agree. He’s superb going forward and very good technically. It’s mad how Klopp continues to make low key signings look inspired.  

• Upvote 2

I'm not sure in what area he's inferior to Robbo.  I genuinely haven't seen any.  And there are many in which he's superior.  I get the loyalty/familiarity/experience thing with Robbo, and that's fine, but objectively it's difficult to see why he would get ahead of Tsimikas, if, for example, they both moved to another club.  

I'm not looking for an argument here, just interested in alternate views

Ive said for a while the Greek Scouser is knocking on the door of a first team spot. His crossing and corners are excellent and he appears to have almost as much stamina as Robbo.

I still think the left back berth is Andy's to lose and again, Ive said I think he sometimes lacks a little bit of composure at both ends of the pitch with his wild swings at the ball.

At any rate, Tsimikas is a great back up to have and hopefully sticks around for a number of years because the boy would walk into almost any other PL team right now.

25 minutes ago, stringvest said:

I'm not sure in what area he's inferior to Robbo.  I genuinely haven't seen any.  And there are many in which he's superior.  I get the loyalty/familiarity/experience thing with Robbo, and that's fine, but objectively it's difficult to see why he would get ahead of Tsimikas, if, for example, they both moved to another club.  

I think Robbo is a better defender while Tsimikas is arguably his equal on the attacking side.

1 minute ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I think Robbo is a better defender while Tsimikas is arguably his equal on the attacking side.

ok, but I struggle to see how Robbo can be Tsimikas's equal on the attacking side when unless he gets a run on the opposition RB due to a ball played ahead of both of them, he's going to pass backwards due to only having one foot.  Tsimikas can take a defender on, and can cross really well with both feet, as evidenced last night.  He also gets his head up when crossing, and has a wand of a left foot.  I honestly don't think there's much between them from a defensive perspective, though Tsimikas has not really been caught out with the ball over the top yet.

24 minutes ago, stringvest said:

Defensive positioning and knowing when and where to cover Robbo is definitely better at. Whether Kostas could get that from playing more who knows? Robbo also a bit better in the air.

Tsimikas definitely has better dead ball delivery. Open play I would say they are about the same.

It’s close.

2 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

Defensive positioning and knowing when and where to cover Robbo is definitely better at. Whether Kostas could get that from playing more who knows? Robbo also a bit better in the air.

Tsimikas definitely has better dead ball delivery. Open play I would say they are about the same.

It’s close.

I'm keen to see more of Tsimkas's defending (well no, but you know what I mean), because I'm not sure there's anything between them defensively.  Robertson has the experience, there's no doubt about that, and I suspect that's what's swinging it for him at this critical time of the season.

12 minutes ago, stringvest said:

ok, but I struggle to see how Robbo can be Tsimikas's equal on the attacking side when unless he gets a run on the opposition RB due to a ball played ahead of both of them, he's going to pass backwards due to only having one foot.  Tsimikas can take a defender on, and can cross really well with both feet, as evidenced last night.  He also gets his head up when crossing, and has a wand of a left foot.  I honestly don't think there's much between them from a defensive perspective, though Tsimikas has not really been caught out with the ball over the top yet.

I'd agree regarding Robbo with the naked eye,but his assist stats seem to say otherwise.

2 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I'd agree regarding Robbo with the naked eye,but his assist stats seem to say otherwise.

Don't get me wrong, I think Robbo is great, and I'm sure the stats back that up, I'm just giving my view on the relative merits of the two of them.

I don't think there's much in it. I think Kostas is marginally better in attack but I don't think we've really seen him tested enough defensively to form a clear view. The fact that he plays so infrequently suggests to me that Jurgen thinks Robbo is the better defender. Maybe he thinks Kostas lacks concentration or something. 

On what I've seen so far, I'd be happy to see Kostas play more regularly - particularly in those games we're likely to dominate and where we need to break down a ten man defence - but I'd go for Robbo against the top sides.