You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Keir Starmer

rb14

Hmm, it's great that there's a slight sense of disappointment that Labour might not get an outright majority at the next election, given that most thought it would take 2 to 3 more elections to chip away at the Tories. But this is hopelessly optimistic. Plus Toynbee isn't exactly renowned for her forecasting abilities. 

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/may/16/tories-labour-keir-starmer-local-elections-votes

I'm getting the word... "vapid".

This vacuous platitude-bingo could have been uttered by any of the interchangeable suits at the top of any of the major parties at any time in the last 40 years (with the exception of the brief period when Labour accidentally elected someone who actually gives a shit).

Are you feeling inspired yet?

• Upvote 1

On 14/05/2023 at 22:06, Jennings said:

Words like 'trustworthy', 'dangerous' and 'electable' are media contrived terms IMHO. They don't really help a voter. I just wanna know what he stands for. The 2019 manifesto was a great thing. It was clear what the labour party believed in.

I just don't know what Starmer stands for.

Continuity. Making damn sure the corruption and tax dodging at the top can continue, but this time with a few more crumbs scattered for the other 99.9%.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I'm getting the word... "vapid".

This vacuous platitude-bingo could have been uttered by any of the interchangeable suits at the top of any of the major parties at any time in the last 40 years (with the exception of the brief period when Labour accidentally elected someone who actually gives a shit).

Are you feeling inspired yet?

Back as the party of working people, maybe start by supporting working people going on strike so they can actually afford to feed themselves and their family.

Edit: I've just said something negative about Starmer, only obvious reason must be because I love the Tories and want them to win the next election.

• Upvote 1

Are we living in a managed democracy. Of the three main parties  - Davey was knighted for his services to the coalition government. Sunak is the richest Prime Minister in the history of the United Kingdom with a swimming pool that reportedly costs 13k a year to heat. Starmer,  a man knighted for his long time service of the British state. At least the adults are back in charge.

3 hours ago, Denny Crane said:

Are we living in a managed democracy. Of the three main parties  - Davey was knighted for his services to the coalition government. Sunak is the richest Prime Minister in the history of the United Kingdom with a swimming pool that reportedly costs 13k a year to heat. Starmer,  a man knighted for his long time service of the British state. At least the adults are back in charge.

There's a reason education sucks, and it's the same reason it will never ever ever be fixed. It's never going to get any better. Don't look for it. Be happy with what you've got, because the owners of this country don't want that. I'm talking about the real owners now... the real owners. The big wealthy business interests that control things and make all the important decisions. Forget the politicians. The politicians are put there to give you the idea that you have freedom of choice. You don't. You have no choice. You have owners.

Households could have saved 45 billion according to this. Big claim. Inflation would have been lower which means Mortgages and rents would be lower etc. 

The report reveals that companies made £45 billion profit from the UK domestic energy system in 2022. If that money had been kept in public hands, it could have been used to save each household £1,800 on their energy bills. Read Unite general secretary, Sharon Graham’s interview in today’s FT.

Household energy bills have been one of the biggest contributors to high inflation. Using energy profits to freeze bills in summer 2021, when prices started to shoot up, would have meant inflation was at least 4.1% lower last year. So in due course nationalisation could markedly reduce inflation. 

The only opposition we have are the Unions and grassroots campaigns. Not suprisingly Labour didn't support the SNP in their fight against the Public Order Bill.

Influential people within the Labour party have a track record of being illiberal - Starmer is continuing the tradition. I think we can put to bed Starmer as a defender of Human Rights from what we have seen under his leadership. They will hide behind it being Tory legislation like a lot of the the other bills passed. They are not opposing this as they like harrasing people whose views they don't share. 

The NHS should give Labour home advantage: we built it for everyone and the Tories are always breaking it up to benefit their rich mates. Everyone knows it's in a mess right now, so a few blunt words about who created the problem and a few inspiring words about how Labour are going to rebuild the fully-funded, publicly owned, universal and free service everyone wants should be good for millions of votes.

Instead, we get dreary, vapid farts like this.

He's terrified of taking the right wing cabal on with reasonable arguments. The hope is that he'll be more ambitious once he wins an election. I'm not convinced myself, I suspect he'll aim to be a better run and slightly more moderate Tory government.

We spend below the average for developed nations for our health service and receive a poorer service as a result. It's that simple. All this 'things much change' and we need to 'improve efficiency' in the absolute scale of things is pure bollocks.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

The NHS should give Labour home advantage: we built it for everyone and the Tories are always breaking it up to benefit their rich mates. Everyone knows it's in a mess right now, so a few blunt words about who created the problem and a few inspiring words about how Labour are going to rebuild the fully-funded, publicly owned, universal and free service everyone wants should be good for millions of votes.

Instead, we get dreary, vapid farts like this.

Isn’t Pet Shop Boy planning to privatise it?