You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Keir Starmer

rb14

1 minute ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I thought there were points where he was absolutely savage. On PPE, when he responded saying it wasn’t an opinion... it comes across like he’s holding a disciplinary hearing where he has the government answering to him. I like it a lot. Long way to go, but looks competent at the very least. 

Last week was a lot better than this, I felt he let Raab get away with far too many snide digs this week where as he owned his ass last week.

I'm still glad he won the leadership and hopeful for the future.

9 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

Last week was a lot better than this, I felt he let Raab get away with far too many snide digs this week where as he owned his ass last week.

I just rewatched it, I thought it was much the same TBH. He had Raab giving him a lot of credit, and then holding him to account for everything. I mean, it was quite a juxtaposition with Ian Blackfoot. 

On 24/04/2020 at 16:16, VladimirIlyich said:

As somebody who doesn't watch the media and is only seeing the British government copy what other governments have done during this crisis,what are the scandals they(the government) have done before and during this crisis? The hypocrisy around the NHS is obvious given their opposition to it from day one and every day of its existence since,but your views on the specifics please,as you seem to take an interest in these things?

The issues have been addressed pretty comprehensively in the main Coronavirus thread, using a variety of different sources. In summary:

- years of Tory austerity reducing the capacity of the NHS and the social care system to deal with a serious pandemic

- ignoring the findings of a readiness exercise in 2016 which warned about the above

- complacency about the threat from the virus despite seeing the effects of it in Italy before it kicked in here, resulting in a delay in preparing the NHS and in implementing lockdown

- complete ineptitude in procuring PPE, ventilators, testing kits and other vital equipment

- failing to implement checks on arrivals at airports

- dishonesty about the failings in testing and procurement, the number of deaths and the strategy for dealing with the virus.

Add to that the completely inadequate level of financial support for workers affected by the virus, which aside from being a public health hazard (people are continuing to work and expose themselves and others to the virus because they can’t afford not to), is causing widespread economic hardship and will make the situation a lot more painful than it needs to be, during the pandemic and for years afterwards.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

This report really needs to be dealt with - properly and quickly.

The issue was addressed at an emergency NEC meeting last week. The terms of reference have been agreed and will apparently be made public shortly.

https://labourlist.org/2020/04/emergency-meeting-on-labours-leaked-internal-report-alice-perrys-nec-report/

https://mobile.twitter.com/lara_eleanor/status/1253361645742686209

The next step is to appoint the panel to carry out the independent investigation.

I do think Starmer gets the gravity of this, and I have no problem with him dealing with it diligently and without public comment for the time being due to the legal ramifications. I’m confident there are enough people who are angry about this and are sufficiently involved in the process, via the NEC and other means, that they’ll call it out loudly if there’s any obstruction or foot-dragging.

13 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I just rewatched it, I thought it was much the same TBH. He had Raab giving him a lot of credit, and then holding him to account for everything. I mean, it was quite a juxtaposition with Ian Blackfoot. 

To be fair , NV, you are just doing what you criticised us for doing re Corbyn. Starmer did fairly well and like Lifey I hope he brings us to power , but I would be disappointed if he couldn't best a stand-in PM with a ' shooting fish in a barrel ' scenario. Be a bit more interesting when Dad of the Year gets back.

26 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

I'm glad he won the leadership(I voted him as second choice myself) as I don't believe Labour had any chance with a female leader. It would have been as pointless as the Democrats putting Hilary as their candidate. Brexit voting morons would never go for a woman either and thats around half of all voters.

Just now, sir roger said:

To be fair , NV, you are just doing what you criticised us for doing re Corbyn. Starmer did fairly well and like Lifey I hope he brings us to power , but I would be disappointed if he couldn't best a stand-in PM with a ' shooting fish in a barrel ' scenario. Be a bit more interesting when Dad of the Year gets back.

Wait... what am I doing? Maybe you’re reading into what I’ve written, or something. 

3 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

This report really needs to be dealt with - properly and quickly.

I would love to see Michael Mansfiled QC appointed to head the independent inquiry into antisemitism within the Labour party and thier handling of complaints.

Because if there is a racist element in the party I want them fucking off immediately.

And if there are elements within the party that made false allegations of racism, or, deliberately didn't react to allegations of racism for political purposes I want them fucking off immediately too.

Lets get to the bottom of this and resolve it properly once and for all. And stop the tories from using it as a stick to beat the party with.

10 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I'm glad he won the leadership(I voted him as second choice myself) as I don't believe Labour had any chance with a female leader. It would have been as pointless as the Democrats putting Hilary as their candidate. Brexit voting morons would never go for a woman either and thats around half of all voters.

How did that work? The other two candidates were women.

12 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I let my membership lapse mate so had no say in this leadership election - although I'd been a fan of his and suggested him for leader way before the election.

If you didn't think a female leader could win a GE and Starmer was your second choice...who was your first preference if you don't mind me asking?

1 hour ago, lifetime fan said:

I let my membership lapse mate so had no say in this leadership election - although I'd been a fan of his and suggested him for leader way before the election.

If you didn't think a female leader could win a GE and Starmer was your second choice...who was your first preference if you don't mind me asking?

I voted Long-Bailey as my Union,Unite recommended her. I was a bit dubious though,because of my previous reasons and thought Starmer would appeal more to floating voters and undecideds.

3 hours ago, sir roger said:

I thought you had said in the past that we suggested Corbyn had done better and was more authoritative at PMQ's on occasions than you felt was the case. If I am wrong , I apologise.

I’m fairly sure I didn’t say that, and I’m not saying it about Starmer. Pretty much everyone lost their shit about how well Starmer did last week, I said he did well. Same thing this week. He had a couple of savage responses, did seem to hesitate on the second question. That’s just a fairly timid view on what actually happened. 

*shrug*

Starmer's moment of truth will come when Johnson is gone. Johnson is like Trump in the sense he's a one off, he will always appeal to people who like him and we're seeing right now that there's literally fuck all that can change that fact.

Put someone like Starmer against a Jeremy Hunt or a Michael Gove though and it could be game on.

This should be a nice first ‘test’ for Starmer on anti-semitism. BoD are asking Starmer to expel Diane Abbott because Jackie Walker dialled in time the zoom call she was speaking on. If he’s ambitious about winning the next election then Abbott is gone IMO.

4 minutes ago, aRdja said:

This should be a nice first ‘test’ for Starmer on anti-semitism. BoD are asking Starmer to expel Diane Abbott because Jackie Walker dialled in time the zoom call she was speaking on. If he’s ambitious about winning the next election then Abbott is gone IMO.

Maybe they feel wrongly accused of anti semitism? What is anti semitism these days? Didn't I hear that criticism of the state of Israel even comes under that umbrella? 

I've never liked Abbott personally and think she was Corbyn's biggest mistake in personnel.Would be fair to hear her side of any story though.

He'll be Kier Stammer before long with the press, and I wouldn't be surprised if the Tories start subtly calling him that to get it in the public consciousness. 

We can have a racist, homophobic, fat mess, red bloated piece of blubber with shit hair - but we can't have someone with a stammer, oh no. 

• Upvote 1