You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

7 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Oh, it's my amazing ability to infect people with covid, despite not actually having it, rearing its head again.

How did you know at that precise time that you didn't have it? How did the walk-in centre staff know that you are the person you were with posed no threat? What about the vulnerable patients who could have caught it off either of you? For someone who claimed to know more than most of us about viruses you appear to not know how they work. 

This 'blessed' covid has killed over a million people. Sorry you have to suffer minor inconveniences. 

10 hours ago, Moo said:

More about the folly of suggesting herd immunity while shielding the vulnerable.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/dec/14/herd-immunity-boris-johnson-coronavirus

It's just an opinion piece. We'd be better just accepting that on all sides huge mistakes have been made and nobody really knew the best course of action. Ridiculous forecasts, illogical measures, under-estimates of seasonality, under-estimates of susceptibility etc. etc. etc.

In hindsight it looks like New Zealand have done a great job in preventing the virus from becoming endemic, but if the vaccine had taken longer to develop they could have been in stasis for years. Effective track & trace for suppression will clearly be a focus for any future pandemic.

We'll be learning lessons about this for years to come, and the collateral damage of the actions we have taken has yet to be seen.

10 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

It's just an opinion piece. We'd be better just accepting that on all sides huge mistakes have been made and nobody really knew the best course of action. Ridiculous forecasts, illogical measures, under-estimates of seasonality, under-estimates of susceptibility etc. etc. etc.

In hindsight it looks like New Zealand have done a great job in preventing the virus from becoming endemic, but if the vaccine had taken longer to develop they could have been in stasis for years. Effective track & trace for suppression will clearly be a focus for any future pandemic.

We'll be learning lessons about this for years to come, and the collateral damage of the actions we have taken has yet to be seen.

Effective track and trace was a focus for this pandemic - just not over here. The countries who’d experienced them before knew how to react and the people got on board and did what they had to do instead of wasting time questioning the real experts and wanking on about stuff they had no fucking idea about. 

Download this app - ok

Use it to T&T - ok

Isolate when we tell you - ok

Wear a mask - ok

Thanks, you can get back to normal now - ok

The U.K. 

Download this app - mmm, are you spying on me?

Use it to T&T - mmm, I’m not doing that

Isolate when we tell you - but that’s not fair

Wear a mask - what about T-cells?

We have to lock you down again - But Christmas!

Added to the fact the government have fucked everything up.  

• Upvote 5

Fucking hell.  Track and Trace are like a clingy ex bird.  Sent me 5 texts yesterday trying to get me to do some online thing.  I was teaching my daughter and home learning the kids in my class all day so didn't respond.  They started ringing me then.  When I eventually spoke to them I was on for 40 minutes, told to relax and make sure I get plenty of rest.

8 o fucking clock this morning they ring me.  I didn't answer, I would not have been polite to the drone on the phone.  No doubt they'll send some Capita jobsworth round later to check on me.  

image.png

Nice little check mate by the London Labour councils today by getting Williamson to proceed with a legal challenge and then back down by saying they’re to skint to fight court cases.

Left in no doubt who is responsible for the schools being kept open as the virus runs amok amongst the age group most likely to have it.

Well done ‘regional fireplace salesman of the year 2004’ you just got played.

16 minutes ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

Fucking hell.  Track and Trace are like a clingy ex bird.  Sent me 5 texts yesterday trying to get me to do some online thing.  I was teaching my daughter and home learning the kids in my class all day so didn't respond.  They started ringing me then.  When I eventually spoke to them I was on for 40 minutes, told to relax and make sure I get plenty of rest.

8 o fucking clock this morning they ring me.  I didn't answer, I would not have been polite to the drone on the phone.  No doubt they'll send some Capita jobsworth round later to check on me.  

image.png

Some jebs though, hopefully they send her round when your missus is out

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

How did you know at that precise time that you didn't have it? How did the walk-in centre staff know that you are the person you were with posed no threat? What about the vulnerable patients who could have caught it off either of you? For someone who claimed to know more than most of us about viruses you appear to not know how they work. 

This 'blessed' covid has killed over a million people. Sorry you have to suffer minor inconveniences. 

Even if I did have it, I would have been asymptomatic. And we know now that asymptomatic people are not driving the epidemic as they are 25 times less likely to spread infection as those who are symptomatic.

A sensible system would be geared towards aggressively blocking those with symptoms, and letting everyone else basically carry on as normal.

Just tested positive. The Mrs is high risk so I agreed to take a test due to a bit of a cough just being overcautious. I have no temperature, sense or taste and smell is fine.

It was a lateral flow test, now I've read these are unreliable. I genuinely feel its a bad chest but I'll be responsible obviously and stay home. 

• Upvote 6

9 minutes ago, littletedwest said:

Just tested positive. The Mrs is high risk so I agreed to take a test due to a bit of a cough just being overcautious. I have no temperature, sense or taste and smell is fine.

It was a lateral flow test, now I've read these are unreliable. I genuinely feel its a bad chest but I'll be responsible obviously and stay home. 

You can't live in fear! Cough on your missus face or else you're a massive bumder. At least that's the advice garnered from my research online.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Spy Bee said:

Interesting thread on PCR testing

The PCR test is to show if someone has live virus or not. It does not presume infectiousness nor can it be used to determine this on its own.

This is the second tweet in that thread:

"The green folks were likely not infective and the yellows may not have been (There is no way this can be determined by Ct value alone). The higher the Ct score, the lower the viral load (this could be somewhat true but it depends on the quality and consistency of the swabs and the reaction controls used) - the person is “less sick” (debatable) or has remnant viral rna which can be detected for months (absolutely fucking not) while infectivity lasts maybe a week."

My comments in bold.

Edit: Also the Ct value will be affected by the stage of infection you are in when the test is taken. Someone testing positive with a 'high' Ct value one day may well test positive with a 'low' Ct value the next day. Trying to link infectiousness (or even illness) to a Ct PCR test, and therefore saying to someone you are not infectious (or not likely to get ill) is not only ridiculous, it's dangerous.

• Upvote 5

17 minutes ago, Jenson said:

The PCR test is to show if someone has live virus or not. It does not presume infectiousness nor can it be used to determine this on its own.

This is the second tweet in that thread:

"The green folks were likely not infective and the yellows may not have been (There is no way this can be determined by Ct value alone). The higher the Ct score, the lower the viral load (this could be somewhat true but it depends on the quality and consistency of the swabs and the reaction controls used) - the person is “less sick” (debatable) or has remnant viral rna which can be detected for months (absolutely fucking not) while infectivity lasts maybe a week."

My comments in bold.

Edit: Also the Ct value will be affected by the stage of infection you are in when the test is taken. Someone testing positive with a 'high' Ct value one day may well test positive with a 'low' Ct value the next day. Trying to link infectiousness (or even illness) to a Ct PCR test, and therefore saying to someone you are not infectious (or not likely to get ill) is not only ridiculous, it's dangerous.

Re the bit in red, I have seen numerous scientists saying that with enough cycles the test will pick up remnant RNA> Is that not the case?

Just now, Spy Bee said:

Re the bit in red, I have seen numerous scientists saying that with enough cycles the test will pick up remnant RNA> Is that not the case?

No, there is no chance RNA will hang around for months. I don't think it will even last days, and certainly not outside the protection of a cell or intact virus particle. RNases (enzymes that degrade RNA) are very tough and very active, and RNA itself is also extremely labile (in comparison to DNA), which is why the Pfizer vaccine has to be stored at -80oC.

In terms of increasing the cycle number, there comes a point in PCR where the reaction becomes self-fulfilling, and you get what looks like amplification and therefore a positive result. We call these amplification products primer-dimers. This type of result should be easy to spot but I suppose some people may be fooled into thinking it's a real result.

• Upvote 6

20 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

Big drive to try and reverse the rule loosening over Christmas. Good luck with that.

They are so fucking transparent! They know full fucking well most will follow the original advice then they point the finger when the next wave hits in January/February. It's all evil spin. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

They are so fucking transparent! They know full fucking well most will follow the original advice then they point the finger when the next wave hits in January/February. It's all evil spin. 

They’re now realising how bloody reckless the original advice was and are now desperately trying to force Pandora’s box shut without actually showing any bloody leadership and making the decisions that need to be taken

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, littletedwest said:

Good luck mate.

• Upvote 1