You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

moof

22 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

FIFA draw lots

One stat I always love is if Egypt got a late equaliser v England in the final group game in 1990, then they would have drawn lots for 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th in the group.

As it was, it was a coin toss to decide 2nd and 3rd between Ireland and the Dutch. Ireland won the toss and got 2nd with Romania and penalties. The Netherlands got West Germany and the Rijkaard spit

Mexico can count themselves unfortunate tonight, but they didn't do enough in their previous 2 games. Poland were fucking awful tonight, offering absolutely nothing. I would hate to be a forward in a team set up to play like that. Better finishing by the Argies would have seen the Poles get the absolute hiding they deserved.

The second goal by Mexico is one of the goals of the tournament so far. As a fellow left-footer, I doff my cap. A footballer's left foot can only ever be cultured, or like a traction engine, or for standing on.

18 minutes ago, Trumo said:

Mexico can count themselves unfortunate tonight, but they didn't do enough in their previous 2 games. Poland were fucking awful tonight, offering absolutely nothing. I would hate to be a forward in a team set up to play like that. Better finishing by the Argies would have seen the Poles get the absolute hiding they deserved.

The second goal by Mexico is one of the goals of the tournament so far. As a fellow left-footer, I doff my cap. A footballer's left foot can only ever be cultured, or like a traction engine, or for standing on.

It was a nice free kick but the keeper was terrible for it, he literally just needed to stand still and reach out to save it.  The one that was saved afterwards was a better free kick.