You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man City - the new bitters?

Naz17

1 minute ago, TheHowieLama said:

I think they will agree to a financial penalty of some sort that does not include any mention of "guilt" and there will be no sporting consequences, and that will be next year at the earliest.

I assume you would like to be wrong on that,  for me the charges are so serious that only the harshest of punishments is available for whatever the panel choose , if they effectively walk away unpunished or with a token slap on the wrist then I honestly think I might be done with it and I've been watching footy for nearly 60 years 

Just now, Tj hooker said:

I assume you would like to be wrong on that,  for me the charges are so serious that only the harshest of punishments is available for whatever the panel choose , if they effectively walk away unpunished or with a token slap on the wrist then I honestly think I might be done with it and I've been watching footy for nearly 60 years 

Yea, not what I am hoping for but it's the hope that kills you.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Theyre going to sign the Brazilian guy from Girona, which is sick. Will give themselves a nice little discount. 

He’s even only on loan at Girona, from Troyes who currently are 15th in the French Ligue 2, another part of the City group.

16 minutes ago, Code said:

He’s even only on loan at Girona, from Troyes who currently are 15th in the French Ligue 2, another part of the City group.

Yeah, you're right, they would be buying him from Troyes, technically. It's all the same thing.

40 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

The bold is just not true.

The majority of clubs in the PL are not threatened by relegation and have very little chance of Europe. Domestic cup runs, meh.

What makes the lions share of the bread for most teams in the PL is the TV deal. Any future loss there due to damage of the brand is far more important than the odd middle of the pack team making a run to a cup semi or final every few years.

This season the entire top half is trying to get into Europe. Most season the bottome 12 are in a relegation fight. And it's not the same teams. City's cheating impacts absolutely everyone because except when someone beats them to the league, everyone finishes one place down. 

5 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

This season the entire top half is trying to get into Europe. Most season the bottome 12 are in a relegation fight. And it's not the same teams. City's cheating impacts absolutely everyone because except when someone beats them to the league, everyone finishes one place down. 

Exactly. But most of the fans from other clubs are so fucking thick to just go along with the "anyone but scousers". Stupid cunts does not realize one place up could be Europe or avoiding relegation or getting that extra cash from TV, PL, sponsors due to a higher finish which might help them offer a little extra in wages for one signing to beat off competition, who might actually improve them. It's a huge chain that City are breaking due to their cheating.

7 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

They can try every year, after all you are talking about 7 spots for "the entire top half" to split up.

In the time we are talking about - last decade let's say - my guess is 7 teams (MC, LFC, MU, CFC, Arse, Spurs) have shared those spots between them 80% of the time.

Newcastle have seemed to have cracked in.

Then it's a brief flit from a Leicester and West Ham? Or maybe Wolves a couple times? Brighton is probably the outlier in terms of coming up recently, sticking and making Europe.

There is a group of "PL" teams that never truly challenge and rarely worry about relegation if at all.

West Ham, Villa, Palace I'd include Everton there. Then frequent yoyos like Soton.

I agree with you that those clubs should care about sporting integrity etc. but from a revenue standpoint a majority of those clubs outside the 7 or 8 would suffer greatly if the league itself loses value/marketability globally due to this and their "competition" wouldn't be much different at all.

5 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

They can try every year, after all you are talking about 7 spots for "the entire top half" to split up.

In the time we are talking about - last decade let's say - my guess is 7 teams (MC, LFC, MU, CFC, Arse, Spurs) have shared those spots between them 80% of the time.

Newcastle have seemed to have cracked in.

Then it's a brief flit from a Leicester and West Ham? Or maybe Wolves a couple times? Brighton is probably the outlier in terms of coming up recently, sticking and making Europe.

There is a group of "PL" teams that never truly challenge and rarely worry about relegation if at all.

West Ham, Villa, Palace I'd include Everton there. Then frequent yoyos like Soton.

I agree with you that those clubs should care about sporting integrity etc. but from a revenue standpoint a majority of those clubs outside the 7 or 8 would suffer greatly if the league itself loses value/marketability globally due to this and their "competition" wouldn't be much different at all.

Which is why I don't think they'll strip them of titles. They'll get to keep them. Sky and international TV get to keep their aguero moment. And the punishment will be forward looking and not about the past. Once city are in league 2, nobody will care except city fans and most of those miserable cunts will enjoy it more. They won't be missed by the fans of other teams around the country. And global TV viewers of the PL won't miss them either, in fact I'm sure the league will benefit from Newcastle replacing them in the big 6. And nobody will turn off because they think the brand is tainted. In fact by the time the latest TV cycle finishes, the city comeback might even be a story to win more viewers. 

I'm convinced they have lads in the media paid off to give them good pr. That Fletch fucker comes to mind. The BBC are right up their arses. I probably sound like an Evertonian but fuck me it's nauseating the coverage they get.

Fact is, it suited a lot of fans to have them pipping us to a few titles. United are shite for pretty much all of the last eleven years, Everton get further and further from being a big club every year, Arsenal have only begun to become relevant again. They were our historically three biggest rivals. Others like Forest and Leeds weren't in the premier league for a lot of those years. Others like Chelsea hate us, while plenty of clubs fans are packed with Little Englanders. Others like Newcastle need City to continue as is, because they hope that can be them in a few years.

Thing is, United will find in a few years that City have more Champions Leagues than them and they'll be not far off them for titles won. Arsenal were done out of a league last season and if they come second this year that will be two. And the media might find that a Jurgenless Liverpool means nobody can really give them a fight and there's basically no title race for nearly any season. Might as well be Ligue 1 or the Bundesliga where bar the odd year or when a Jurgen comes along, it's a closed shop.

I hope we get awarded those titles, but ultimately the real moment of joy has passed. I just hope they get their moment and get fucked down the pyramid. They are absolute scum. 

I said it before on here that the first real rivals I had were Revie's Leeds. Giles was the De Bruyne of his era and that team was majestic. I'd happily sit down and watch a documentary on that Leeds team. Pep's City are souless. I just feel so different to them than I did any other rivals down the years. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

18 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

The bold is just not true.

The majority of clubs in the PL are not threatened by relegation and have very little chance of Europe. Domestic cup runs, meh.

What makes the lions share of the bread for most teams in the PL is the TV deal. Any future loss there due to damage of the brand is far more important than the odd middle of the pack team making a run to a cup semi or final every few years.

Why would less people watch the PL because Man City have been relegated?

On 09/02/2024 at 23:50, El Rojo said:

Have to laugh at people thinking they’re in charge of their addiction.

’I’m done with drinking once Jameson changes their branding,’ vows alcoholic.

Agreed, however in this case there are other forms of Whiskey (lower divisions, non-league, games abroad) that people can use as a methadone.

There has been some speculation that this is what is going on with non-league attendances just now, but I think the majority of that is a post pandemic bounce.

• Upvote 1

A bit of positivity for a minute.

Abu Dhabi have to play twice more than us before we play them at Anfield. That includes league games against Chelsea and Man U (stop giggling at the back, yes I know...). 

By the time we play them, provided we don't shit ourselves we could realistically have 3 league wins and a trophy in the bag and could be full of confidence. 

After that, they've got Arsenal and Villa to play and they still have to go to Spurs. We might have United and Villa away but I'm convinced they'll drop points. Even if we draw at home to the cunts we've got the easier run in. 

It's the hope that kills you I know but none of that is beyond possible, even probable. 

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, Redder Lurtz said:

Abu Dhabi have to play twice more than us before we play them at Anfield. That includes league games against Chelsea and Man U (stop giggling at the back, yes I know...). 

By the time we play them, provided we don't shit ourselves we could realistically have 3 league wins and a trophy in the bag and could be full of confidence. 

After that, they've got Arsenal and Villa to play and they still have to go to Spurs. We might have United and Villa away but I'm convinced they'll drop points. Even if we draw at home to the cunts we've got the easier run in. 

It's the hope that kills you I know but none of that is beyond possible, even probable. 

I maintain this is not the Man City of the last few seasons however we are the same but we are top and this time round we have them at home. Yes they won but the last 2 performances haven't been great, they were struggling for long periods to break them down and this season has been easier to get chances against them. Win all our home games and it's going to be very close.

12 minutes ago, Redder Lurtz said:

More likely 3 debilitating league defeats, and runners up medals.

• Downvote 1

14 hours ago, redinblack said:

Be ready for them at our place. Be Fucking Ready

I can't be worrying about the game against them yet. We're limping a bit at the moment and need some players back. We've got to get through Brentford away next, which will not be easy. Then we have to get up for Luton on a Wednesday night (which will be against probably the 2 most physical teams in a few days) with all the players with one eye on the final 4 days later then we have to play away at forest after an fa cup midweek. While it's only a few league games away, city can be a lifetime away if we don't have our shit together. We were poor yesterday and got over the line with a bit of grit, a bit of luck and playing the 2nd worst team in the league who can't defend a cross with a genuine clown in goal. The city game means nothing till we navigate that lot. Next week is all that matters right now. 

5 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I can't be worrying about the game against them yet. We're limping a bit at the moment and need some players back. We've got to get through Brentford away next, which will not be easy. Then we have to get up for Luton on a Wednesday night (which will be against probably the 2 most physical teams in a few days) with all the players with one eye on the final 4 days later then we have to play away at forest after an fa cup midweek. While it's only a few league games away, city can be a lifetime away if we don't have our shit together. We were poor yesterday and got over the line with a bit of grit, a bit of luck and playing the 2nd worst team in the league who can't defend a cross with a genuine clown in goal. The city game means nothing till we navigate that lot. Next week is all that matters right now. 

The big concern is our away performances. Burnley got us at our bare bones yesterday but we still had 70% of the ball and over 20 attempts. We've managed to pick up points away without being convincing. I'm 100% convinced everytime we kick off at home we'll win. Not so much away.