You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2018 Transfer Thread

Anubis

Maybe. I don't think it's unusual for players to seek alliances with their own countrymen, all players at all clubs seem to do it. When your a manager with a management team and transfer team it's a different ball game. You go for the best players you can based on more than opinions but statistical analysis too.

I don't even want Gerrard to become our manager. I don't think playing for the club qualifies a person more, you earn the right to an interview based on your management success.

• Upvote 2

Maybe. I don't think it's unusual for players to seek alliances with their own countrymen, all players at all clubs seem to do it. When your a manager with a management team and transfer team it's a different ball game. You go for the best players you can based on more than opinions but statistical analysis too.

I don't even want Gerrard to become our manager. I don't think playing for the club qualifies a person more, you earn the right to an interview based on your management success.

The lad is just starting out in his managerial career and you are writing him out the equation already. How daft is that. Did Paisley Fagan and Dalglish have an interview or did the club just talk them into being the manager. I seem to remember the latter for all 3. The agenda some of our fans have about Gerrard is beyond belief.

• Upvote 1

The lad is just starting out in his managerial career and you are writing him out the equation already. How daft is that. Did Paisley Fagan and Dalglish have an interview or did the club just talk them into being the manager. I seem to remember the latter for all 3. The agenda some of our fans have about Gerrard is beyond belief.

No agenda on anything on here at all.

Also comparing football in 2018 to managers pre the mid 80s is nuts.

The game is now truely global.

The managers of the past only scouted the odd players outside of England snd Scotland. Everythings changed

No agenda on anything on here at all.

Also comparing football in 2018 to managers pre the mid 80s is nuts.

The game is now truely global.

The managers of the past only scouted the odd players outside of England snd Scotland. Everythings changed

To be fair, Guardiola did okay at Barcelona. I don't think there's anything wrong with it per se. 

Whoever gives us the best chance of success should get the job. At the moment, that's Jurgen Klopp.

Did I write him off and haven't my previous posts just been defending him against agendas!!!

He has to earn the right for a chance at the job in my "opinion" I don't give a shit about the 60s 70s or 80s those days are gone.

I think, with Klopp announcing the Karius is our number 1 now, I think we won't be purchasing anyone this Jan. That may well change in the summer, though with Klopp's sometimes loyalty to a fault, chink in the armour, we may even see Karius still our number 1 going into next season. 

If Carragher wanted to be, he'd probably be a better manager than Gerrard. Stevie strikes me as a freak athlete with ridiculous natural talent who won't understand why his struggling centre-back can't ping a 60 yard pass onto a striker's onrushing toe. 

To be fair, Guardiola did okay at Barcelona. I don't think there's anything wrong with it per se.

Whoever gives us the best chance of success should get the job. At the moment, that's Jurgen Klopp.

Completely agree

I dont care if the teams is 11 Brits if they are winning games.

Did I write him off and haven't my previous posts just been defending him against agendas!!!

He has to earn the right for a chance at the job in my "opinion" I don't give a shit about the 60s 70s or 80s those days are gone.

Yes you did write him off. You said you did not want him to be our manager and that your managerial experience should count. In that case at the very least Dalglish would not have been manager. Neither would Joe or Bob even though they had backroom experience which they got due to their playing career with the club.

I fucking hope not

I like him pre injury but that figures nuts.

The rumour was Gerrard and the English coaches were oushing for Butland and the analytics teams Alisson. Said before thats why i dont like the idea of Gerrard as manager,has a massive love in for British players

Gerrard told Rodgers to sign him when Birmingham were in debt and needed to sell Butland and Redmond to balance the books. I think he was available for £2m or thereabouts. Gerrard saw his work ethic with the England squad and urged Rodgers to bring him in. So Gerrard would've saved the club £38m if this hypothetical £40m bid happened, which it didn't. 

Yes you did write him off. You said you did not want him to be our manager and that your managerial experience should count. In that case at the very least Dalglish would not have been manager. Neither would Joe or Bob even though they had backroom experience which they got due to their playing career with the club.

I write him off being gifted the job with no managerial experience yeah. I haven't written him off being a manager. I wouldn't give him the job because in the 80s dalglish did it.

Gerrard told Rodgers to sign him when Birmingham were in debt and needed to sell Butland and Redmond to balance the books. I think he was available for £2m or thereabouts. Gerrard saw his work ethic with the England squad and urged Rodgers to bring him in. So Gerrard would've saved the club £38m if this hypothetical £40m bid happened, which it didn't.

And nobody would see a issue at that price

But a world record fee for a keeper that has not looked close to the same since his injuries.

I think we will sign a keeper in the summer, Echo is pretty confident of that. What he isn't going to say publicly is that both our current keepers will get fucked off, no matter how well they perform.

As it stands I think we'd all settle for no more mistakes. Which is the bare minimum.

Dont think it’s an agenda to be fair. I would think most Liverpool supporters would love to see Gerrard doing well as a manager here. At least I know I would.

Does that mean I believe he can become a good manager for Liverpool? No idea to be honest, I probably have about 5% of the information I would need to make that assessment. And probably wouldn’t be qualified to make the assessment either of course, but I think we’re all entitled to an opionion.

And based on what I’m seeing and hearing I actually doubt Gerrard as a potential manager for us. At least short term. Why? Mainly because I think he tends to let his emitions get the better of him. Probably his biggest strength as a player, and also a slight weakness at times. As a manager I think it could be more of a weakness than strength. At least he would have to learn to control it.

Also the way he talks about his U18 team haven’t impressed me. I think he’s bigging up a few of the players, in a phase of their career where the most important thing is probably to keep them hungry and humble. But again, what do we really know, I of course have no idea what he tells them behind closes doors.

Paisley and Kenny were promoted from within and did great of course. Could still happen I think, if you have the necessary leadership skills as well as the football knowledge. But I do think making that step today is far more difficult. Main differences being the enourmous pressure, the fact that you need to handle global superstars with massive egos, the tactical side is much more important, and sports science side is vital to succeed.

30 years ago you needed to be a knowledgeable football man, and be able to manage a coaching team and a group of players in the best possible way to succeed. Today you need to be able to do that, but also have a lot of the skills required to run a big company, surrounding yourself with group of experts in different fields. And to handle the media om top of that. Very very demanding position that, and having been an excellent player is of course no guarantee to make it.

• Upvote 3