You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Joel Matip

aRdja

4 hours ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

Love Big Bird.

An absolutely brilliant player for us. If he stays fit and Virgil continues to look his old self, we have a real chance of winning the league.

Hansen, Lawro and Virgil are the three best I've seen for us, but Joel is possibly fourth. 

Big shout putting him ahead of Hyypia IMO.

Obviously would depend on your age about whether Hughes and others come into the picture too.

3 hours ago, Code said:

No he was not, we lost that game because he played. 

Konate was probably our best player in Paris, had nothing to do with the goal we conceded, or the jammy one we just about got away with.

We lost because we didn’t create enough when we were on top in the first half, and because Mo didn’t bury that chance at the end.

7 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

We would have lost the game 4-0 if Matip had played. Great how hypotheticals work eh. 

Okay. 

But considering your football knowledge can be put on the back of a stamp, I think I’ll go with the first take. 

10 hours ago, Code said:

No he was not, we lost that game because he played. 

Thought Konate was really good myself that night, Code.

In broader terms, I think we exaggerate how well we played that night sometimes. We created plenty of half-chances but seemed to scuff or mis-hit every final shot. I don't think Courtois had the blinder that was made out afterwards - they were generally routine saves. 

I reckon we could still be playing that match and Real would still be winning 1-0. We've a real mental block when we play them.  

21 hours ago, The Midnight Rambler said:

I've never seen a defender that carries the ball as well as he does. Not in English football anyway.

You aren't old enough to have seen Hansen or Lawrenson then? Not taking anything away from Matip either,he has been brilliant so far this season after probably his worst season for us last year.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, an tha said:

Big shout putting him ahead of Hyypia IMO.

Obviously would depend on your age about whether Hughes and others come into the picture too.

Hughes might be fourth to be fair. Hyypia was brilliant. I don't know would he look even more brilliant beside better players and to be fair to Matip, he has played with exceptional players and in an exceptional team which Sami didn't. Hard one to call that. 

Still Matip needs to get a bit of love. Phenomenal player for us.

3 hours ago, El Rojo said:

In broader terms, I think we exaggerate how well we played that night sometimes. We created plenty of half-chances but seemed to scuff or mis-hit every final shot. I don't think Courtois had the blinder that was made out afterwards - they were generally routine saves. 

I reckon we could still be playing that match and Real would still be winning 1-0. We've a real mental block when we play them.  

The criticism is not because of what Konate did in that game, its because of what he did not do and did not bring to the table that night. 

55 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Matip is good but he has never been very good/great unless he was standing next to Van Dijk.

As the senior partner he has put in some woeful shifts when VvD is out.

He is Sturridge to VvD's Suarez.

Matip was brilliant long before we bought Van Dijk, so thats not true. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, El Rojo said:

That save from Mane onto the post is one of the best saves of all time. Still fucking haunts me.

7 hours ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

Hughes might be fourth to be fair. Hyypia was brilliant. I don't know would he look even more brilliant beside better players and to be fair to Matip, he has played with exceptional players and in an exceptional team which Sami didn't. Hard one to call that. 

Still Matip needs to get a bit of love. Phenomenal player for us.

For me Matip's injury record gets in the way of him being really high up the list - but he is without doubt a very good player of course.

I'd have Sami ahead of him though personally.

Matip's injuries often seem to be from what appear to be quite innocuous situations but then the result is ages out.

Sadly if he is indeed crocked for months that could be the last we have seen of him....a desperately sad end to his career here - a fine player who deserves better than that. Hopefully it isn't case.

After Van Dijk was injured (assaulted) in 20/21, he was excellent with initially Gomez, until his injury, and then Fabinho at the back. 

After the Palace 7-0, we had 31 points from 14 games - the same as we had before tonight. Matip went off injured in the 15th game v West Brom to be replaced by Williams), we conceded a late equaliser and went on to win just 11 points in the next 13 games. 

Obviously we have Van Dijk, Gomez, Konate, and Quansah still available this season, but I thought of it during the week and was delighted that Sheff U didn’t equalise late on tonight and put my superstitious thoughts to bed.