You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Euro 2016 France

France would bum England senseless.

The format of this tournament, much like qualifying actually (for both this and the World Cup), makes England completely ill prepared for playing a decent team. You can qualify for tournaments, and get out of groups in tournaments, without having ever beaten a good football team.

The format of this tournament, much like qualifying actually (for both this and the World Cup), makes England completely ill prepared for playing a decent team. You can qualify for tournaments, and get out of groups in tournaments, without having ever beaten a good football team.

Won't get a chance, Hungary will bum England out of the tournament in a repeat of 1953

Got to laugh at the player ratings

Sturridge gets a 5 for some good moments but wastful not fitting into the team.

Vardy 6,menance in the first half (missed a fucking sitter as worse than Sturridge)

Rooney 6

Alli 6

Fucking jokers the lot of them

Guest Pistonbroke

Well they haven't bummed anyone senseless yet and were in a group which wasn't actually hard themselves. They have played meaningless friendlies for two years before this tournament and so far have been much like England in the fact they have spunked chances up front and look dodgy at the back when teams go at them. They have a better midfield but if they don't chip in with goals they are going to struggle in the latter stages of this tournament. They were lucky in the first two matches they played against Romania and Albania who are shite. They failed to break down Switzerland and could easily have lost that game as Sagna should have conceded that penalty at the end, this is the same Swiss side England beat twice 2-0 in qualification. 

If they do meet in a Q/F then France would be favourites due to the better midfield and the fact they are playing at home, but France wouldn't relish playing England at that stage either and could easily collectively shit their pants, I doubt very much you'll get the bumming you long for. 

Guest Pistonbroke

Got to laugh at the player ratings

Sturridge gets a 5 for some good moments but wastful not fitting into the team.

Vardy 6,menance in the first half (missed a fucking sitter as worse than Sturridge)

Rooney 6

Alli 6

Fucking jokers the lot of them

Are those player ratings from the BBC's chief football writer Phil McNulty? He's renowned for typing utter dog shit, which just fits in nicely with the majority of the UK's media. 

The fact Hodgson has kept his job so long and received zero criticism is incredible. He's had the easiest ride of any England manager I can remember, possibly because he's the first one in years who's not johnny foreigner.

It's because he goes into a job, tells everybody it's not his fault that they're shit people and believe him. He tried it here only we're didn't fall for it.

He's led England to their worst ever World Cup and not being able to beat Russia, Slovakia and Costa Rica yet nobody has said a word.

Well they haven't bummed anyone senseless yet and were in a group which wasn't actually hard themselves. They have played meaningless friendlies for two years before this tournament and so far have been much like England in the fact they have spunked chances up front and look dodgy at the back when teams go at them. They have a better midfield but if they don't chip in with goals they are going to struggle in the latter stages of this tournament. They were lucky in the first two matches they played against Romania and Albania who are shite. They failed to break down Switzerland and could easily have lost that game as Sagna should have conceded that penalty at the end, this is the same Swiss side England beat twice 2-0 in qualification. 

If they do meet in a Q/F then France would be favourites due to the better midfield and the fact they are playing at home, but France wouldn't relish playing England at that stage either and could easily collectively shit their pants, I doubt very much you'll get the bumming you long for. 

They're a much better football team than England, however much you try and convince yourself they aren't.

I genuinely don't care who wins. I'm not sitting at home cheering on England's opponents. I'm pretty much neutral about the side. I just want to see some good football in the tournament, of which there hasn't been a great deal.

I think Germany, Spain, France, Belgium, Italy, and Croatia, would all beat England. Possibly Poland as well. I'd have added Portugal before the tournament, but they look fucking awful. 

England could win a tournament like this. They have a good squad, not great but good, and there aren't actually that many very good sides. This coupled with the format means you could easily find yourself in the semi finals having only had to play well maybe once. But the reason I can't see England doing much is Roy. He has swapped managing every team like West Brom for managing the team as he perceives the media would like him to.

As Sec said, it's fucking mind boggling that they let this spastic get away with it. Because, whatever you may think of the England team, it's still a pretty big job in football management.

• Upvote 1

Sick of hearing how Hodgson is a lovely avuncular bloke who the players like.

Fuck that. 

Being likeable is not a prerequisite, being a winner is.

I'd put Bobby Robson back in charge - he'd manage to do a better job from beyond the grave than Hodgson.

He isn't anyway, he's a complete bellend.

• Upvote 1

Rooney running at a defence these days reminds me of when Charlie Adam used to do the same for us. You knew he'd be out of breath before he either over-ran it or fell into someone.

Haha! Both appear to age in dog years, even during a game.

Or in England's case getting out of the group by failing to beat two poor teams and only squeaking through against the third with a fortunate winner at the death. 

They're a much better football team than England, however much you try and convince yourself they aren't.

I genuinely don't care who wins. I'm not sitting at home cheering on England's opponents. I'm pretty much neutral about the side. I just want to see some good football in the tournament, of which there hasn't been a great deal.

I think Germany, Spain, France, Belgium, Italy, and Croatia, would all beat England. Possibly Poland as well. I'd have added Portugal before the tournament, but they look fucking awful. 

England could win a tournament like this. They have a good squad, not great but good, and there aren't actually that many very good sides. This coupled with the format means you could easily find yourself in the semi finals having only had to play well maybe once. But the reason I can't see England doing much is Roy. He has swapped managing every team like West Brom for managing the team as he perceives the media would like him to.

As Sec said, it's fucking mind boggling that they let this spastic get away with it. Because, whatever you may think of the England team, it's still a pretty big job in football management.

When you look at the players he's picked and the standard of teams in the tournament a decent manager would have them in with a shout but he's managed to convince people otherwise.

When you look at the players he's picked and the standard of teams in the tournament a decent manager would have them in with a shout but he's managed to convince people otherwise.

Yup, exactly. He really is useless. A civil servant of a manager, do as little as possible and get rewarded. He can stay as long in the Ingurland job as he wishes, because it's funny to watch.

Woys contract runs out next month. Would not suprise me if they renew it.

Although he's a shite manager, England have had some decent managers and still done fuck all for half a century with better teams than this. Its part of the fabric of the international team that no matter the players they have they always under perform.

Guest Pistonbroke

Agree with most of that but in a knockout game I don't see much between any of the teams, Spain will no doubt have a lot of possession against any team but can they find the same scoring boots they did against a poor Turkey side? The rest of the teams you mentioned are on an even keel as far as I'm concerned, they all have their strengths and weaknesses, it's all about the day and if they can perform.

Hodgson is certainly one of the worst managers though and he'll no doubt get an easy ride off the majority of the media no matter what happens. 

Guest Pistonbroke

I reckon Italy will win it. It's looking like a year where a solid defence and pinching the odd goal or going through on pens will be the story. 

Italy are certainly capable, but how will their ageing defenders do after playing so many games, it could be a game or two to far for them to keep holding out, especially if they pick up one or two injuries at the back. 

Agree with most of that but in a knockout game I don't see much between any of the teams, Spain will no doubt have a lot of possession against any team but can they find the same scoring boots they did against a poor Turkey side? The rest of the teams you mentioned are on an even keel as far as I'm concerned, they all have their strengths and weaknesses, it's all about the day and if they can perform.

Hodgson is certainly one of the worst managers though and he'll no doubt get an easy ride off the majority of the media no matter what happens. 

I think in Morata Spain might have found the sort of striker they need. Someone good enough technically but with enough of a presence as well. Be interesting to see how they play tonight against a pretty good team.

Italy are certainly capable, but how will their ageing defenders do after playing so many games, it could be a game or two to far for them to keep holding out, especially if they pick up one or two injuries at the back. 

If they pick up injuries then they could be buggered, but I don't think age will affect them. They're so adept at game management and slowing the pace that the back line gets regular breathers at the right times.