You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Nostalgia

Total Longo

I had 'Supporters all over the world' bedding.

Had? I've still got mine in the airing cupboard. Had all the flags around the edges. That was in the days of the 'International Supporters Club' where you got sent a quarterly 5 page magazine called Anfield Confidential and a bit card to wrap in some plastic so you could make up your own membership card.

Some of the later magazine covers were more prophetic than others...

ANFIELDCON29.jpg

ANFIELDCON31.jpg

• Upvote 2

Always thought that 5-0 game was a bit overhyped myself.

Forest werent too bad and had a few chances before we dominated the game.

7-0 against Spurs is the game all other matches should be judged against , by the best side this country has produced.....a midfield of Case , Souness , McDermott and Kennedy....now that is the greatest midfield in the world.

• Upvote 2

Being able to listen to the match on Radio City. I remember it like it was only a few weeks ago

I remember the time before that, when you couldn't listen to the match, because it hadn't sold out or something and so there was no radio coverage.

Guest Super Sub

I remember the time before that, when you couldn't listen to the match, because it hadn't sold out or something and so there was no radio coverage.

Seriously? If the match hadn't sold out they wouldn't have radio coverage, fuck me when was this and how old are you?

Had? I've still got mine in the airing cupboard. Had all the flags around the edges. That was in the days of the 'International Supporters Club' where you got sent a quarterly 5 page magazine called Anfield Confidential and a bit card to wrap in some plastic so you could make up your own membership card.

Some of the later magazine covers were more prophetic than others...

ANFIELDCON29.jpg

ANFIELDCON31.jpg

I got my L.F.C. 'Supporters Around the World' duvet and pillowcase cover set circa 1985. From memory, it had two footy players dressed in the 1985-86 Crown Paints kit, either side of a giant football, surrounded by various flags. I fucking loved it and used it sp much the red faded almost to pink. I'm pretty sure my parents still have it.

I'll be totally honest, I was watery eyed typing that. I loved Liverpool Football Club and football in general so much back then. I dont now. It saddens me knowing that I'll never get that feeling back.

• Upvote 5

Seriously? If the match hadn't sold out they wouldn't have radio coverage, fuck me when was this and how old are you?

Only the 1990s. I distinctly remember some home games not being on the radio, similar to how they don't show 3pm Saturday kick offs on TV in the UK.

I'm convinced I didn't dream the whole thing, but since I seem to be in a minority of one, maybe I did.

Only the 1990s. I distinctly remember some home games not being on the radio, similar to how they don't show 3pm Saturday kick offs on TV in the UK.

I'm convinced I didn't dream the whole thing, but since I seem to be in a minority of one, maybe I did.

Maybe should have changed the batteries?

i remember when you couldnt listen to home games on r/merseyside or city, but if living in stockport , if we played the dung or shitty i was ok . could get radio leeds and a few more as well.  happy days...  

Always remember when they couldn't take the match live & someone would always phone up & say put a beatles song on when we were drawing & usually it would work as we grabbed a late winner obviously it was a coincidence the first time it worked but City always played one.

My memory is fucked - but anyone remember a game in the early 80's was a footy pitch surrounded by a red stand - the pitch had little LED lights on and you keyed in your passes and shots on a little keypad at your end of the pitch. If you had possession your lights lit up and if the computer or your opponent had it theirs did and you would have to win it back by "guessing" right

When you scored a goal "When the reds go marching in played" well a sort of bleeps and blips version did...

I was addicted to it as a kid, but can't for the life of me remember the name of it....

"Jimmy" - i had that as well, seemed boss at the time, probably wasn't really though.

Well done, that man!

I thought I was the only one who remembered that.  And I wasn't sure if I'd dreamed it.  Back in 2012 on the Toy Nostalgia thread...

I thought at first this was that game that used to have little red bulbs lighting up which were 'players'. What was that called? "Jimmy" or something like that? This is about 1980/81.

• Like 1

Waaaay back when - no TV coverage at all (hardly anyone had a TV anyway) they covered one match on Saturday, second half only, 60s before Match of the Day on telly, and then only one match shown late on Saturday night. Spent hours as a kid at 6pm Saturday night waiting for the pink football edition of the Liverpool Echo to arrive at the newsagents. Now I can watch every match, live, in HD on the other side of the world.

i remember when you couldnt listen to home games on r/merseyside or city, but if living in stockport , if we played the dung or shitty i was ok . could get radio leeds and a few more as well. happy days...

I bet you're a "glass half full" type, am I right?

Slightly off topic 'cos it's not football related, but it's bound to bring a response from some other grey hair.  From Saturday mornings in the late 60s/early 70s, probably Tiswas or Banana Splits, the series Adventures of Robinson Crusoe.  I downloaded it the other day, never thought I'd see it again.  Grainy in places, black & white, I was immediately sucked back into my early childhood, watching that on my Mum's old British Relay tv set.  If I tried to get my son to watch it this days, he'd throw his iPhone or tablet at me.

And as I was watching it, it dawned on me - I really am an arl fucker !

• Upvote 1

1984 - The wall falling down in the away end at Walsall, amazing no one got seriously injured. 

Then at Notts County away after drawing 0-0, not being sure if we had won the league or not.

Football Specials on the train. 

Silk Scarfs

Dr Fun

Jaffa

The Kop collapsing

Ball head the mounted copper

The bog outside the kop with the bars on top to stop you climbing into the ground

Getting locked out of games before all ticket games (Soton away being a twat)

Getting bricked at the train station at Barnsley (Olympic shot putting fuckers that lot)

Queuing round the ground for Wembley tickets

Bunking in grounds

Drowning out the national anthem with YNWA

Rangers / Celtic chant

• Upvote 4