You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Nostalgia

Total Longo

1984 - The wall falling down in the away end at Walsall, amazing no one got seriously injured. 

Then at Notts County away after drawing 0-0, not being sure if we had won the league or not.

Football Specials on the train. 

Silk Scarfs

Dr Fun

Jaffa

The Kop collapsing

Ball head the mounted copper

The bog outside the kop with the bars on top to stop you climbing into the ground

Getting locked out of games before all ticket games (Soton away being a twat)

Getting bricked at the train station at Barnsley (Olympic shot putting fuckers that lot)

Queuing round the ground for Wembley tickets

Bunking in grounds

Drowning out the national anthem with YNWA

Rangers / Celtic chant

Repped.

Whilst waiting in the queue to get in the ground at that nots county away game I was chatting to Jaffa. Bizarrely he pulled out a magnetic mini chess board out of his big pocket on the front of his red kagoule and asked did I play. Of course I did, it was the 80s. I did him with fools mate 4 moves, 3 times on the trot. Not the sharpest but turned up everywhere did Jaffa

Whilst waiting in the queue to get in the ground at that nots county away game I was chatting to Jaffa. Bizarrely he pulled out a magnetic mini chess board out of his big pocket on the front of his red kagoule and asked did I play. Of course I did, it was the 80s. I did him with fools mate 4 moves, 3 times on the trot. Not the sharpest but turned up everywhere did Jaffa

Was at that game myself and it was impossible to miss that Jaffa lad too!

Shit 0-0 draw but a great atmosphere and another league title in the bag. More Reds than County fans it seemed.

Ronnie Whelan and Steve McMahon having a bevvy with the match goers in the sportsman pub on Westminster road after every home match

Steve Staunton in the hare and hounds in maghull regularly

Souness and sammy lee in the conti and coconut grove

Carra twatted and being bundled into a cab by his bird outside sullys most Saturday s after a game

The days when footballers were one of us with a bit more money. Not these money grabbing, mercenary, fake badge kissing cunts of today.

• Upvote 7

Ronnie Whelan and Steve McMahon having a bevvy with the match goers in the sportsman pub on Westminster road after every home match

Carra twatted and being bundled into a cab by his bird outside sullys most Saturday s after a game

The days when footballers were one of us with a bit more money. Not these money grabbing, mercenary, fake badge kissing cunts of today.

Repped again.

The Sportsman was Ronnies Pub if my memory serves me right, Used to pop in there regular as my Auntie lived over the road

Wish I had the programmes etc to look back that I used to have , just one left from 74 v ManCity did have a v Bayern Munich 71 but somehow lost that but they're good to look back on to better days, the bedroom wall full pictures and Anderlecht flag me mum and dad brought back also St Johns Scotland shirt I used to play footy in . Apart from the team line ups I liked looking at the adverts from those days , Threlfalls? & Tetley bitter etc , also my autographs from the Liverpool teams and the boxing ones from the stadium , what I'd give to have them now. Doubt I'd want any from today though, not the same these days for sure.

• Upvote 2

Wish I had the programmes etc to look back that I used to have , just one left from 74 v ManCity did have a v Bayern Munich 71 but somehow lost that but they're good to look back on to better days, the bedroom wall full pictures and Anderlecht flag me mum and dad brought back also St Johns Scotland shirt I used to play footy in . Apart from the team line ups I liked looking at the adverts from those days , Threlfalls? & Tetley bitter etc , also my autographs from the Liverpool teams and the boxing ones from the stadium , what I'd give to have them now. Doubt I'd want any from today though, not the same these days for sure.

Know what you mean ref autographs.

Probably an age thing. Back in the day players seemed like hero's. You get older and realise that the half rate midfielder who plays 10mins every 10 games earns enough in 2-3weeks to pay off your entire mortgage.

In terms of nostalgia- went to a darts exhibition recently featuring Eric Bristow, Bobby George, John Lowe and Keith Dellar- small venue, playerrs drinking at the bar chatting to all and sundry- I was bloody star struck- more so than if I met 3/4 of our current squad!

• Upvote 1

Yes its probably got something to do with age I suppose , I had the Barcelona kit younger brother espanyol around 73 ish which I thought was boss at the time , wish I had that. Also being at Contehs weigh in , in the empire and ma edges I think , some faces there and autographs , it would of been nice to have kept them all and pass them on but doubt they'd be of interest to today's fan . I don't think they would have anything to be nostalgic about in future anyway.I remember me dad making me look at Billy Liddell at the ground , nostalgia for him then I suppose. Its hard not well up looking at stuff sometimes and how it was and equally hard to maintain interest as each year goes by, fond memories though which can't be lost.

• Upvote 2

I made a montage of press clippings the day after Istanbul- framed and stuck it up in the shed next to dartboard. Was looking at it earlier, one of the cuttings has the words- LIVERPOOL HAD STOOD DEFIANT LIKE CHURCHILL IN THE RUBBLE.

I long for this current side to show some of that kind of grit. Instead we tend to fold the moment we are pressured.

• Upvote 1

Wasn't the Everton game sometimes played about 11am when the grand national was on ? Its hard to believe the derby means the same as it did to most players these days . When about 9 watching Athletico Bilbao fans marching down the street singing with their flags and banners etc, the letters on the touchline denoting the H T scores. Istanbul can now count as nostalgia , ten years ago for fucksake. Doubt we'll see that sort of grit and determination again , in the earlier rounds as well. Hope I'm wrong though I can't help thinking what would that twat balotelli's reaction would be to Gerrard's rousing the team after he equalised. I'm glad I'll never know as it would probably of been a bad memory as opposed to the great memory it is.

Know what you mean ref autographs.

Probably an age thing. Back in the day players seemed like hero's. You get older and realise that the half rate midfielder who plays 10mins every 10 games earns enough in 2-3weeks to pay off your entire mortgage.

In terms of nostalgia- went to a darts exhibition recently featuring Eric Bristow, Bobby George, John Lowe and Keith Dellar- small venue, playerrs drinking at the bar chatting to all and sundry- I was bloody star struck- more so than if I met 3/4 of our current squad!

There was a legends game over here Saturday, well legend was a bit cheeky with Carter and Babb in the team.

But this was the only fella I had interest in meeting . Not many can claim 2 winning goals in 2 European finals. And a gent to ,unfortunately can't remember too much of what he said as I was totally pissed.

Nice photo bomb by my mate Chang as well.

Posted Image

• Upvote 2

There was a legends game over here Saturday, well legend was a bit cheeky with Carter and Babb in the team.

But this was the only fella I had interest in meeting . Not many can claim 2 winning goals in 2 European finals. And a gent to ,unfortunately can't remember too much of what he said as I was totally pissed.

Nice photo bomb by my mate Chang as well.

05dafbeeefbfab8880a171d84a156f91.jpg

For all of his heroics, the chances are, being pissed, the first thing I would have said to him in some kind of drunken drawl was- "You were the first Liverpool sticker I got in the 1986 panini album....I love you man"