You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Nostalgia

Total Longo

Used to watch that Team of the Decade or The Mighty Reds at least once a day. Knew it word for word, would love for someone to put it on YouTube. The music at the start of Team of the Decade with the ships sounding brings a lot of happy memories.

Ceefax was great, text 301 and repeat.

The internet changed everything. I remember calling clubcall at 30p a minute or whatever it was to find out who Liverpool were about to sign in the summer or calling up Shoot magazine to register my Fantasy Football team:

"State your first player for your team"

"Ian Wright"

"You said Lars Bohinen. If this is correct press 1, if it isn't press 2"

And those images of ceefax give me such a warm feeling as it was so simple. Barely any rumours, just plain facts and results. There was something about the way league tables looked on ceefax too which was so much better than on a computer screen. I also miss the old BBC vidiprinter and the noise it made as the teams were typed out, the digital version just doesn't have the same raw quality.

It's the little things that have changed. I used to love hearing the half-time and full-time results read out by George, usually with Everton's result last if they'd lost. Nobody had mobile phones and only the odd person would have anything like a radio so nobody knew any of the other scores. These days people know there's been a goal before the ball has even crossed the line as their phones are going off - or worse, people are looking at their phone instead of the actual match in front of them. And of course back then you'd have a full set of fixtures at the same time too.

Ceefax was ace. It was the anticipation of it.

Club call had me convinced we'd signed Desailly to partner Pieckniek on several occasions.

The first time I came across TLW was on ITV teletext- each club had their own page and they would often put on just one page from a fanzine- they varied it but TLW was on there.

I mentioned it to DaveU once but he doesn't recall it.....sky generation.....!

• Upvote 1

The Liverpool 5 Nottingham Forest 0 video from I think 88. Used to watch it all the time, and probably still have it somewhere.

That was when only worthwhile videos/DVDs were put out not like these days when the bitters bring one out if they manage to nick a draw off of us.

• Upvote 2

I deffo knew the original BBC "Official History video word for word. The montage at the end with "You'll Never Walk Alone" always made me well up. Classic commentaries that you still quote all the time...

"Toshack...Keegan...1-0. Toshack....Keegan....2-0. Floated high...Lloyd...3-0""

"Toshack taking his time...but using it to perfection"

"Neal against Kneib....and with such simplicity, the European Cup surely now must be won"

"...and here's Alan Kennedy...and he goes on....AND HE'S SCORED!"

"Dalglish, no, Johnston, yes!"

• Upvote 2

Competing for the league every season.....

Being in the kop when someone started to spread a rumour from their raido that the team you were battling against for the league were losing...and a huge roar would suddenly develop around the ground...(sometimes a blag rumour mind).

The Liverpool 5 Nottingham Forest 0 video from I think 88. Used to watch it all the time, and probably still have it somewhere.

That was when only worthwhile videos/DVDs were put out not like these days when the bitters bring one out if they manage to nick a draw off of us.

My Welsh mate I used to stay with in London in the eighties used to play that vid all the time Actually he was a big rugby fan and not that interested in footie  ,unless supporting Cardiff counts . To him that was the pinnacle of how football could be played. It got no better, It was pretty fucking awesome mind.  

My Welsh mate I used to stay with in London in the eighties used to play that vid all the time Actually he was a big rugby fan and not that interested in footie ,unless supporting Cardiff counts . To him that was the pinnacle of how football could be played. It got no better, It was pretty fucking awesome mind.

Always thought that 5-0 game was a bit overhyped myself.

Forest werent too bad and had a few chances before we dominated the game.

Always thought that 5-0 game was a bit overhyped myself.

Forest werent too bad and had a few chances before we dominated the game.

This probably belongs in an amnesty thread but I agree with you, it's a bit like the long lost footage of that goal of Molby's that eventually turned up, very good but it became better with every tale told about it.

This probably belongs in an amnesty thread but I agree with you, it's a bit like the long lost footage of that goal of Molby's that eventually turned up, very good but it became better with every tale told about it.

Which Molby one?

I liked his scorcher against the mancs in a midweek league cup tie when he scored both in a 2-1 win. Was a cracking atmosphere too.

There used to be loads of boss Liverpool videos and I had pretty much every one of them. By comparison the choice of Liverpool DVDs is rubbish. Why doesn't the club bring out a proper selection of 60's 70's and 80's ones? Surely they own the rights to the footage? Useless cunts.

• Upvote 2

There used to be loads of boss Liverpool videos and I had pretty much every one of them. By comparison the choice of Liverpool DVDs is rubbish. Why doesn't the club bring out a proper selection of 60's 70's and 80's ones? Surely they own the rights to the footage? Useless cunts.

Or even screen them on the club channel, maybe then it would be worth the subscription.

Remember the old souvenir shop behind the main stand? It was the most narrow shop in the World, I've still got my bag from there from my first visit to Anfield in 1986, it's got loads of flags on it & it says 'Supporters all over the World' on it (I think). 

Anyway, Rushie kicked a signed ball into the Anny Road end & my Dad caught it for me, we keep that in the bag & I make sure it's pumped up whenever I go back home.

I can't find a picture of the bag but I fucking love it, probably as much as it's possible to love a poly bag.

• Upvote 2