You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfer Thread 2015

WhiskeyJar

As for Depay I won't pretend I'm happy for us to miss out. He's a winger but I think he will play centrally more and more as he progresses. He has already showed that he knows where the net is. 

It's easy to beat Brendan up over missing out, but the underlying reality is Man Utd pay higher wages, are likely to be in the CL, play in front of 75k crowds each week, have a recent history of sustained success and competing at the top end (Moyes notwithstanding) and in this particular case, the manager and the player know each other. 

Apart from that, it's all Brendan's fault...

Why don´t we just buy a pile of players from Sevilla? Vidal and Tremoulinas on the flanks, Vitolo and M´bia in the middle of the park and Bacca up front - job done! Great bunch of players that would improve our first 11. Throw in Krychkowiak while we´re at it as well in central defence - Yummy!

(and then he woke up...)

So some flashy Dutch winger signs on for a team paying obscene wages, with a manager who has worked with said winger and all it does is kick off another round of sinking the boot into our manager? 

Stay classy! 

• Upvote 1

So some flashy Dutch winger signs on for a team paying obscene wages, with a manager who has worked with said winger and all it does is kick off another round of sinking the boot into our manager? 

Stay classy! 

Here's the thing though; it's no surprise that Depay jumped to work with a manager he knows who has a record of success. That's a viable pathway to attract players to the club, alongside paying high wages and being successful on the pitch (read: getting into the CL).

Our owners knew what they were getting when they hired Rodgers, and that first avenue for attracting players to the club was cut off. The second avenue, wages, has been capped, so we have cut off that avenue as well (at least in comparison to the clubs we purport to be at the same level as). The third level is contingent on (1) having a decent team of players and (2) having a great manager, and even then, as we saw last season, flashes of success are not enough. Again, the problem is, we don't really have (1) because we don't have a manager of any standing, and we don't pay high wages.

So the current model relies almost entirely on hoping like hell Rodgers is some kind of miracle worker, managerial savant and that we have a scouting system that can identify young players that are about to burst onto the scene. I think we have seen that the scouting system is a huge bloody mess at the moment, given the dross we keep picking up (Aspas! Who the fuck thought an 11-year old boy would be a chance in the Premier League?).

So that leaves pretty much all our eggs in the Rodgers basket. I don't see it, not based on his poor in-game management and avant garde approach to team selections.

• Upvote 1

I'd say it's more abject disappointment with the club as a whole, Oz.

And yeah, unfortunately managers often take a disproportionate rap when things are shit.

Like James Hird for instance.

Ha! True words. 

paul joyce @pjoyceexpress  ·  3m 3 minutes ago
BR: "other priorities" meant Liverpool did not follow through interest in Depay

James Pearce @JamesPearceEcho  ·  6m 6 minutes ago
Rodgers on Depay: "It wasn't something we were ever interested in. We already have 4 wingers at the club. We have other priorities."

James Pearce @JamesPearceEcho  ·  3m 3 minutes ago
Rodgers on striker search: "Young Divock coming in will be a great asset for us. We will see what the summer brings."

Im really expecting to be fed up with our signings. Im expecting a few big links and end up woth a few youngsters. Then get fed the line that if Sturridge was fot we would have got 4th and the young players will be better next year.

Standing still is going backwards and im afraid that barring the odd year we have been stuck in a bog for years

Did Rodgers say not intetested.

I thought he said we didn't go for him as we had other priorities. Big difference in inquiring for a price and talking to the club than making a actual move

• Upvote 1

paul joyce @pjoyceexpress  ·  3m 3 minutes ago

BR: "other priorities" meant Liverpool did not follow through interest in Depay

James Pearce @JamesPearceEcho  ·  6m 6 minutes ago

Rodgers on Depay: "It wasn't something we were ever interested in. We already have 4 wingers at the club. We have other priorities."

James Pearce @JamesPearceEcho  ·  3m 3 minutes ago

Rodgers on striker search: "Young Divock coming in will be a great asset for us. We will see what the summer brings."

Me: "Hello Ms Brook, would you mind rubbing your tits in my face?"

Kelly Brook: "Fuck off you weirdo!"

Me, to my mates: "Not interested, there were better looking birds there anyway, and I had things to do."

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

So Origi will be our "Marque signing" and then "we'll see what the summer brings". 

Rodgers would be way more likeable and convincing if he could just shut the fuck up and focus on improving the team, instead of playing the pathetic role of FSG's YESman, covering their failings and promising bullshit.

Apparently we have bid 10m for Kovacic from inter, from what I've seen of him he's the kind of technically good cm we should be going for.

Rumoured to be going to Barca and no way will he go for as little as £10m

Edit - when their transfer ban is over