You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The shitness of modern football

Redder Lurtz

UK news outlets, BBC and The Guardian, both choosing  Barcelona beating Real Madrid over Liverpool beating Man City as their LEAD STORY.

If I wasn't reading it with my own eyes, I wouldn't believe it.

If you say something is brilliant and important often enough, it becomes brilliant and important.

Every single team in the league knows, and sings, that "Ste' Gerrard slipped on his..." Song when they play us. We're talking about a once in a generation player, who has innumerable caps as the England captain.

I find that to be remarkable, it's now second only to "you'll never get a job" as an away fan delight. How the fuck did it spread so fast, so quickly, and why do they even care? Why do Manchester United fans, in particular, revel in a moment that handed Oil barrens the league championship?

• Upvote 3

I think shit crowds are the most obsessed with Schadenfreude. Some crowds make a bigger noise when the opposition team play a routine pass out of play or hit a blooter way off target than when their team does something good, that's moronic. Anyway, I rather like hearing the 'hilarious' Gerrard song, when we're celebrating 4 good goals and three easy points at somewhere we were supposed to be receiving a shoeing.

Every single team in the league knows, and sings, that "Ste' Gerrard slipped on his..." Song when they play us. We're talking about a once in a generation player, who has innumerable caps as the England captain.

I find that to be remarkable, it's now second only to "you'll never get a job" as an away fan delight. How the fuck did it spread so fast, so quickly, and why do they even care? Why do Manchester United fans, in particular, revel in a moment that handed Oil barrens the league championship?

Yeah it's ridiculous. Palace were the only team last season that didn't sing it I think. I don't think they sang it the other week either, although I could be wrong.

Always pisses me off when jabroni teams like Stoke and Villa do it, especially as Villa fans act like they're the first ones to do it and you can see them congratulating themselves on how witty and original they are. Fucking bums, can't wait to see them relegated this year.

• Upvote 1

I think if folks are able to use mass communication and one-upsmanship as a negative, then we should be able to use it as a positive. "Look how great our fans are, look how great our atmosphere is, don't you wish this was your stadium" etc.

Everybody on here understands about the awesomeness of the Westfalenstadion and that is purely, because of Youtube.

The funniest thing about that Gerrard chant is that he didn't even slip on his arse, he slipped over on his knee and hand. I suppose it doesn't have the same catchy tune though.

Another aspect that winds me up, is that they think we all secretly hate Gerrard, because of it.

As if he wasn't a major factor in the best footballing night we've ever had; opposition fans think we sink to their trashy levels of covert, usually overt, hatred and the mention of him slipping hurts us.

The league title wasn't lost against Chelsea, and even if it was, nobody on here would give a fuck, because of how much he has done for us.

Not one Liverpool supporter has ever blamed him for it. The mancs were singing it for the first eight minutes yesterday. Someone set off the fire alarm on 70 minutes as they were all fucking off. At least that allowed us to get home a bit quicker.

Reckon you should have stayed. Manchester is a really good night out, in fairness.

I don't think he meant that as a positive.

I read it as, and would agree, that Facebook culture is to sneer at people and focus on one upmanship

Indeed. People aren't on Facebook sharing ideas, they're engaging in top bants.

It would be slightly less depressing if any of it was evenly remotely funny.