You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gerrard: I would leave Anfield

WhiskeyJar

Steven Gerrard - “I wish I'd met Brendan when I was 24, as I think I'd be here talking about a lot of titles that we’d won together.”

Hahahaha.

That's such an amazing quote because we would have been signing the likes of Ashley Williams and not the Torres or Luis Suarez calibre players. Great footballer but there's no need to spiel off such random shit.

• Downvote 9

I dont understand what the club or manager has done wrong here(I'm not talking about how he's been used,thats a different debate) as its simply not sensible to pay a waning player his current wages any longer. Its simply not good business. The ball was in Gerrard's court and has chosen to leave.

Good luck to him.

Why do you assume it comes down to money?

Reminds me of the story about Rafa trying to get an insight into SG when he first joined, and allegedly asking his parents, "Does heee like money?". If only it were that simple.

Steven Gerrard - “I wish I'd met Brendan when I was 24, as I think I'd be here talking about a lot of titles that we’d won together.”

Hahahaha.

My word.

Hopefully thats just a bit of backing for his under fire manager, but the fact that he has mentoned an exact age being the same time Rafa took over....... Well.

Can probably stick that one alongside him pining for Alan Curbishley.

Your a Legend Steve. Stay out of the revisionism

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

My word.

Hopefully thats just a bit of backing for his under fire manager, but the fact that he has mentoned an exact age being the same time Rafa took over....... Well.

Can probably stick that one alongside him pining for Alan Curbishley.

Your a Legend Steve. Stay out of the revisionism

Watch the interview you fucking idiot, you'll see the context, it wasnt a dig at anyone.

• Upvote 2

That's such an amazing quote because we would have been signing the likes of Ashley Williams and not the Torres or Luis Suarez calibre players. Great footballer but there's no need to spiel off such random shit.

I very much doubt that anything Gerrard said in his interview was 'random' or trite 'spiel'. In fact, I believe he was quite thoughtful, as he obviously has said he spent some time thinking about his future. I believe he would have put the same thought into thinking about what he was going to say in a scheduled interview.

• Upvote 4

Christ, some scumbags on here are picking apart the words in the interview and whining about it? You fucking rats

A bit harsh you douche. There's nothing wrong with laughing at that quote and if you have a look there's actually nothing else that's been picked apart. Stop flapping your fanny.

• Downvote 2

I dont understand what the club or manager has done wrong here(I'm not talking about how he's been used,thats a different debate) as its simply not sensible to pay a waning player his current wages any longer. Its simply not good business. The ball was in Gerrard's court and has chosen to leave.

Good luck to him.

Modern world mate, let alone the modern football world.  Someone, somewhere has to be at fault.  If it doesn't all dovetail absolutely perfectly then someone has been a disgrace and whining needs to be done.

• Upvote 1

Good luck to him.

Excactly this. Sentimentality has no place at a professional football club at the highest level. It certainly didn't have back when we were the best team in Europe. Making decisions based on the player Gerrard has been would be amateurish and humuliating for the club and not least for Gerrard.

Of course he deserves to be treated as the great person and player he is and has been. Which I think he probably has.

I'm one of those who think he's been used in the wrong position for the last twelve months, but yes that is a completely different discussion.

Watch the interview you fucking idiot, you'll see the context, it wasnt a dig at anyone.

Wind yer neck in. Was just commenting on the quote attributed.

Have seen the interview and he is obviously cut up about it. I thing the best move has been made all round. Look forward to his last six months in a red shirt.