You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Free copy of The Sun through your door next week

Acid

Post Office workers being forced to deliver them here in Runcorn and even some workers who have lost relatives in the disaster.

I'd suggest this bullying is highlighted in the local media and pressure is brought to bear against this disgraceful piece of callous disregard for people's feelings.

Really? Are you a postie? We've always been told that if we object to the delivery of something on ethical grounds eg UKIP flyers, we wouldn't have to deliver them and they'd get someone else to deliver the item.

Really? Are you a postie? We've always been told that if we object to the delivery of something on ethical grounds eg UKIP flyers, we wouldn't have to deliver them and they'd get someone else to deliver the item.

I'm not a Postie but my brother in law is.

While I'm sure you can object to carrying certain things in your postbags I'm willing to bet there is pressure on the posties to do as they are told regardless and the threat of reprisals from the management is always there.

Postmen at a Royal Mail branch are set to defy bosses by refusing to deliver copies of The Sun newspaper.

The posties at the Skelmersdale office will walk out this week after managers said there was no option but deliver it.

The paper, which remains controversial over its coverage of the Hillsborough tragedy , approached Royal Mail to deliver 22m copies across England as part of a World Cup promotion campaign.

Royal Mail accepted the deal but said it would not deliver copies in Liverpool. But some areas of Merseyside – such as Wirral – have the Chester postcode, while Southport has the Preston postcode and Skem shares the Wigan postcode.

Up to 50 staff at the Skem branch were told of the decision to deliver the paper on Friday.

But posties have reacted angrily.

One said: “I felt sick to be honest that I would have to handle it. We would be delivering it to people that were at Hillsborough and to people that lost a loved one or knew someone that died at Hillsborough.

“You’ll always get people who will do it and people are worried about their jobs, but a good percentage of people will walk out.”

Royal Mail did not comment.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/mersey-postmen-refuse-join-suns-7235285

• Upvote 1

I just got this..... The "here" link isn't there!

Thank you for contacting Royal Mail.

Full information about opting out of all unaddressed mail, details of how to apply and associated timescales is available here.

Please be aware that by selecting to 'opt out' of receiving 'Door to Door' mail, you are choosing not to receive any unaddressed mail from Royal Mail, and that could include important communications from local or central government.

If you still wish to proceed with this, please refer to our website.

You may also wish to consider reducing the amount of addressed direct mail you receive, by using the Mailing Preference Service. This is a free service that can arrange for your details to be removed from various mailing lists - you can find out more and apply online at www.mpsonline.org.uk.

I am going to reply asking where the link is and whether I can be opted out and then back in when its over - sure somebody else posted they did that.....

I've co-opted my neighbours on this, so that's three that will be going in the post box.  It won't take that many to fill the fucker up, and the postmen will hate having to deal with them amongst all the other post.  They'll make sure it won't happen again.  

It's fucking disgraceful. I assumed they'd use the same discretion used when asking Posties to deliver the political leaflets but it seems that this is being treated the same as any other door to door leaflet.

Luckily I deliver in North Wales so won't be asked to deliver it and this utter shambles might put them off another roll out but even around here there's plenty of people who will be offended by that piece of shit being put through their door.

Just spoke to my postie (I'm off work ill and he rang the bell for me to sign for a parcel as the car was in the drive) and told him I don't want this delivering. He said that his office (Prenton) is going the same way as Skelmersdale and refusing to deliver. Nice one.

• Upvote 2

Sorry if already posted, from The Independent -

Postal workers in Lancashire are threatening to strike if they are told to deliver free copies of the Sun next week in protest against its coverage of the Hillsborough tragedy.

Union members at the Royal Mail depot in Skelmersdale, near Liverpool, have vowed to walk out if “any copies of the Sun cross the gates”.

In a statement given to the Liverpool Class Action website, they called the  newspaper "s***e".

The newspaper is delivering 22 million free World Cup editions around the country on Thursday and Friday.

The Sun is still reviled in parts of Merseyside and among Liverpool fans for its coverage of the Hillsborough disaster.

Skelmersdale has a strong association with Liverpool and workers advocating the postal strike are understood to support the long-running “Don’t Buy the Sun” campaign.

The Sun sparked outrage after the April 1989 tragedy where 96 people will killed and hundreds more injured.

Under a banner headline which read “The Truth”, the paper claimed the fatal crush at Sheffield Wednesday's ground was caused by drunken Liverpool fans.

The story claimed that some stole from the pockets of the dead and urinated on police officers trying to rescue them.

Inquiries have since concluded that Liverpool fans were not responsible for the disaster and police had released misleading statements in the wake of the tragedy.

Sally Hopkins, a spokesperson for Royal Mail, said the Sun had already chosen not to include Liverpool in the mailing.

She added: “Any individual concerns will be handled sensitively with fairness, dignity and fully respecting the views of individuals.

“Local CWU representatives and delivery office managers will work together to agree sensible and amicable solutions.”

A spokesman for the Communication Workers' Union (CWU) said an official strike had not been called and the action was being taken by a group of staff.

"It's not a strike at the moment but a divisional officer is meeting with Royal Mail to discuss it," she added.

"Some staff members were at the Hillsborough disaster and had family there and they feel very strongly about it."

• Upvote 4