You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sakho

Pureblood

Selling Sakho  

143 members have voted

1. 1. Would it be a mistake to sell him?

The thing that worries me is that, the stuff he needs to learn, like positional sense, can't really be learned, and the stuff he needs to cut out, like scissor kicking people in the penalty box, should really be ironed out when you're 14.

The thing that worries me is that, the stuff he needs to learn, like positional sense, can't really be learned, and the stuff he needs to cut out, like scissor kicking people in the penalty box, should really be ironed out when you're 14.

One error, which didn't cost us.  I could name more errors from our other cb's, even other cb's in the league like Kompany who is rated one of the best cbs in the league.

So that's bizarrely criticism, unless you are going to criticise every defender in the league who makes a mistake and he makes less than most.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

It sometimes makes me think that people don't realise Sakho is experienced and was a captain of PSG about 6 years ago. He's quality. Fuck's wrong with peeps these days?

He makes me very nervous with his passing because he takes so much time over each one that a really sharp attacker could see where he's passing a mile off and intercept. To be fair he's been pretty accurate most of the time it's just it's the equivalent of a windmill punch.

That's so wrong I have to ask the question have you ever seen him play?

Wierd. Barely put a foot wrong, looks the part, yet we seem weaker with him in the team. 

Yeah we should blame him for Mignolet, Skrtel, Flanagan etc making individual mistakes.

Most young, foreign players get the 'year to settle in' line, yet he has rarely been afforded this by a lot on here. Factor in him missing a huge chunk of the season through injury and you can understand the stop-start thing he has had going on so far.

I love him, especially that little hop he does when he first takes possession of the ball. Ace.

• Upvote 1

Not what I'm saying at all, I really rate him. Just our results haven't been as good with him in the team.

Our results were better last season (not the season we've just had) when Suarez wasn't in the team, doesn't mean we shouldn't start Suarez.

I like him, but I don't think the partnership with Skrtel has worked very well so far.  Agger and Skrtel seem a more natural fit.  Sakho and Skrtel have similar types of games.  Might work if we stick at it, or we might need to look at replacing Skrtel if we decide Sakho is the better of the two.  Sakho and Carra would have been boss.

I'm another one who thinks he is a slow passer. He receives the ball, gets his body into position, then passes it. Not a problem when the opposition defend from the half way line back but when they press higher up the pitch this puts undue pressure on the receiver. It's a shame as he looks like a very good defender.

So he's been criticised for passing it too quick and now for passing it too slow.

Poor guy can't win.

Guess his 92.5% pass completion is irrelevant as well.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I like him, but I don't think the partnership with Skrtel has worked very well so far. Agger and Skrtel seem a more natural fit. Sakho and Skrtel have similar types of games. Might work if we stick at it, or we might need to look at replacing Skrtel if we decide Sakho is the better of the two. Sakho and Carra would have been boss.

Agger and Skrtel can't deal with crosses. Don't think they're a great partnership.

Agger and Skrtel can't deal with crosses. Don't think they're a great partnership.

I know it's a crappy stat, but they still had a better record of conceding goals than Sakho and Skrtel.  I think position wise Agger and Skrtel know what each other is doing a bit better than Sakho and Skrtel showed.  Sakho's raw attributes are really good, pace, good in the air, good passer, decent tackler, just the combination wasn't quite right.

I think it's absoulutely fucking crazy saying he's a slow passer. In my humble opinion. That's one - of the many - things I like about him, he's very quick to pass the ball into feet when he has it.

He's our fastest centre back, our best in the air, the strongest and the best on the ball. He's a beast and he's only going to get better. Can't agree with whoever said he's suspect positionally either. He's fine.

• Upvote 3

I've never known a quicker passer in our back four. He's quicker than Hansen, Lawrenson, Thompson, Hughes, Hypvia, Skrtel, Agger, and miles quicker than Jamie, who would often dwell on the ball for slightly longer than was comfortable.

Not only is he quick at seeing the pass, he delivers it quickly, often pinging the ball to feet. No issue with him on this front.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I think it's absoulutely fucking crazy saying he's a slow passer. In my humble opinion. That's one - of the many - things I like about him, he's very quick to pass the ball into feet when he has it.

He's our fastest centre back, our best in the air, the strongest and the best on the ball. He's a beast and he's only going to get better. Can't agree with whoever said he's suspect positionally either. He's fine.

I quite often question whether I'm not living in an alternate reality after reading some of the comments on here. I see something, I watch it again, them people complain about the exact opposite.

It doesn't take special insight or superb knowledge of the game, just the ability to look at something and see it. Quite a strange phenomenon.

I've never known a quicker passer in our back four. He's quicker than Hansen, Lawrenson, Thompson, Hughes, Hypvia, Skrtel, Agger, and miles quicker than Jamie, who would often dwell on the ball for slightly longer than was comfortable.

Not only is he quick at seeing the pass, he delivers it quickly, often pinging the ball to feet. No issue with him on this front.

He passes it quickly but so did Henderson in his first 18 months. That doesn't necessarily equate with the right thing to do. Since Henderson has grown in confidence he doesn't whack a 10 yard pass at the first person he sees any more and has improved as a result.

Sometimes drawing the man is the right thing to do.

I can see Sakho going either way tbh but as has been said, its too early to judge. Another year and we'll know for sure. He seems to be very strong mentally.

• Upvote 1

He'll be one of the best defenders in Europe within 2 years.  I couldn't believe he came to us in the summer, but now we're back in the big time - he'll be glad he did.  World class player already and only going to get better,

Anyone know if he'll be a starter at the WC?

He usually starts every game for France, but that was because he was playing in France, were as all the other centre backs didn't.  I'd expect him to still start but Koscielny has come on and Varane burst on the scene.

It'll be Mangala + one of those 3.

I think he's quality.  I'd keep him and I'd be looking to get an upgrade on Skrtel or Agger to pair him.  Not meant to be a slight on either of the latter two as I like them but just my opinion on it. I just don't think they're going to get any better but Sakho has all the tools to be a great cb for years to come.  Will be interesting to see what Brendan does there.

He's an excellent player with a huge amount of experience for his age, and is only going to get better. There really should be no debate about what we do with him.

The stat about us conceding fewer goals when he's not in the team? Correlation does not imply causality.