You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Prog rock thread

moof

Never heard of them Mook , are you sure you weren't in the group & trying to get rid of cd's from your garage ?

Looking at pictures of them, it is quite possible that I was a member of their band during my 'lost years', before I wrote that concept album about Ludo.

hatfield-north-eng.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Soft Machine doing 7 dates later this month. No Wyatt unfortunately ( or Ayers obviously ).

Manchester on the 23rd & New Brighton ??? on the 26th

John Marshall on drums as well, only Scottish date is in Kinross which doesn't even have a railway station so that's me fucked.

The Magic Band (Beefheart) are playing Edinburgh tomorrow as well, sold out & I only found out about it yesterday. Not having much luck with gigs at the moment.

• Upvote 1

Don't know Kinross, but imagine it will be like Vegas next to New Brighton. 

The Floral Pavilion in New Brighton is 'eclectic ' to say the least. 

Ha ha, from memory Kinross is a very quiet little place, certainly an odd choice of town for them to be playing given the lack of transport links.

I've only got Six & Bundles from Soft Machine, I've not had a chance to listen to their first few albums properly but will get round to it one day.

• 5 months later...

There is a whistle ( like a referee) used on the first two notes of the intro riff that never happens again right?

Better start doing it right....

The Seconds Out version with Chester though

I think you're right about the whistle, I'm usually too busy playing air drums to notice.

Seconds Out is great, Bill Bruford's cameo is worth the entrance fee on its own.

Top top record - They dont make Barrie - no - more

My next 5.1 purchase will be ‘Stormwatch’ - the 3rd in the classic set. I’m 18 all over again. It’ll be a cold night in Valhalla when Ian departs this world.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for that. Bought the original 45 - memories fade but I seem to remember the B-side was ‘House Of The King’ but that doesn’t make sense if it was on an earlier album.

At a similar time I got the ‘Radar Love’ single too - full length version.

Fuckin still love my Dutch Prog.

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

hmm

never really listened to dream theatre.

I'm more of your Tull/crimson/Yes nutter

Contemporary wise, Porcupine Tree, or anything by its founder Steve Wilson, and Circa, which is X-Yes man Billy Sherwood.

I should have paid more attention to this post.

• 1 month later...

King Crimson playing the Liverpool Empire on Nov 10th & Edinburgh on the 13th.

Along with a comment in the PInk Floyd thread , I have noticed concert prices are suddenly shooting up in price, the KC Liverpool concert is between £60 & £75 before any fees.

• Upvote 1

King Crimson playing the Liverpool Empire on Nov 10th & Edinburgh on the 13th.

Along with a comment in the PInk Floyd thread , I have noticed concert prices are suddenly shooting up in price, the KC Liverpool concert is between £60 & £75 before any fees.

I've given up on going to concerts of established bands. I went to see Crimson on their 2015 UK tour, it was about £58 & I said to myself at the time that I wouldn't be paying anymore than that for a long time to go to a gig.

I blame downloading/streaming & all that shite.

• 4 months later...