You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gerard Houllier

• 4 years later...

Thought this article was pretty funny, with Gerard trolling his players towards the end of his reign. 

Increasingly, Houllier had been trying to ‘motivate’ players by making examples of them in front of the other lads. After another game he started going through the team. “Where’s that player from Leicester City? Emile? Emile Heskey? Where are you? Remember when you used to get the ball, run through the defence and score goals? Where is that player now? Am I missing something? We paid a lot of money for you...”

Then it was Salif Diao: “Do you remember where you came from? Sedan. And do you know the difference between Sedan and Liverpool? I don’t think you do. You don’t appreciate the fact you play for mighty Liverpool now.”

Stephane Henchoz had problems with his Achilles tendon. He was doing all he could to get back on the pitch and had been a great servant for Houllier, especially when Liverpool won five trophies in 2001, but now he was on the receiving end of the manager’s anger.

“How long are you going to be injured, Stephane?” asked Houllier. “You’re taking your time to recover on purpose because we’re not playing well.”

“I’ve just come back from the doctor. I’ve had another injection,” he replied. “He says I’ve got tendinitis but this might help...”

“I know what I’m seeing.”

Then it was my turn. He went back to the start of my Liverpool career and listed every mistake I’d made, month by month.

“November 2002, Middlesbrough. December 2002, Manchester United. March 2003, Tottenham.” He chucked in a couple of other teams and yelled: “You think because you were Man Of The Match when we won the League Cup you can act like a star? You’re making mistakes which cost us points.”

That’s not too bad for the three years,” I snapped back, smiling as I did so.

“You think it’s funny? Let me tell you this. If Chris Kirkland had been fit he’d have played in the League Cup final.”

Then he turned to Danny Murphy: “And don’t think I haven’t been watching you. You train like a grandad. Are you going to retire soon?”

Traore also got stick from Houllier: “Since you got your contract extension you’ve stopped trying in training – you’re lazy.”

He concluded by addressing the whole group and displaying his paranoia: “I know what you’re up to. You’re waiting for me to be sacked. You’re playing badly to get rid of me. You’ll be sorry. The new manager will put most of you in the reserves. You won’t be laughing then.”

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/jerzy-dudek-reveals-night-gerard-7813408
  • Upvote 1

"I know what you're up to. You're waiting for me to be sacked. You're playing badly to get rid of me. You'll be sorry. The new manager will put most of you in the reserves. You won't be laughing then."

Brilliant.

A multi-layered re-imagining of Bob Monkhouse's classic.

• Upvote 1

• 3 years later...

Just daydreaming and it came to me that the moment we appointed Ged was the moment our barometer started pointing upwards. Houllier was responsible for arresting our decline.

Houllier brought professionalism back into our club and dragged us into the 21st century with his methods and philosophies, he got rid of the complacency and malaise and insisted on doing things the right way, installing a winning culture and mentality.

The UEFA Cup win against Alaves in Dortmund usually flies under the radar amongst us Reds when it comes to recognizing landmark important moments in our history, but I think that night and that victory were significant in so far it sent out a message to those both inside and outside of our club - we are back and we are ready to win.

There's obviously been a few missteps along the way since, and subsequent managers have lead us to bigger and more prestigious awards and trophies, but I believe that it was Houllier who laid the foundations for the modern Liverpool, the architect of our success this century.

Thank you sir and may you Rest In Peace.

• Upvote 2

• 1 year later...