You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

We've just been out for lunch with a couple, the wife's best friend and her husband. They are loaded, live in a million pound house in Bedford, he's a lawyer and she's a house wife. They are lovely but obviously live in a different world to us. They were talking about another couple we know, he's a trust fund millionaire, has a place oin London and a 40 acre estate in Surrey. They said 'its a different world'

He then went on to tell us about a bloke he went to school with, he is the "B" in B&M stores. They've just sold up and this bloke is worth £500m, the guy we know saw him yesterday in Hale and was invited into his home. Bloke is apparently still a nice guy but again 'different world'. Said his son is at private school down south and when they nip to see him they get the chopper, but land in the next village along to avoid embarrassing the kid.

I want to live in a different world!!!

Said his son is at private school down south and when they nip to see him they get the chopper' date=' but land in the next village along to avoid embarrassing the kid.

I want to live in a different world!!![/quote']

But does his son? Why do people have kids and then send them away? That's not my kind of life

But does his son? Why do people have kids and then send them away? That's not my kind of life

Me neither. The 40 acre couple are having a row at the moment as he went to boarding school during the week and home at weekend, he wants the same for his kids but wife doesn't want it.

My wife must be gutted she picked me!! All her mates are loaded!!!!

Me neither. The 40 acre couple are having a row at the moment as he went to boarding school during the week and home at weekend' date=' he wants the same for his kids but wife doesn't want it.

My wife must be gutted she picked me!! All her mates are loaded!!!![/quote']

Well as Mr Champ always says at least he knows I didn't marry him for his money!

It's only money mate, I have a happy family, kids want for nothing within reason, we have a holiday abroad most years and loads of UK based breaks camping and such, and a good bunch of friends. I'll settle for that.

I want a better class of misery!!! ;-)

It's only money mate, I have a happy family, kids want for nothing within reason, we have a holiday abroad most years and loads of UK based breaks camping and such, and a good bunch of friends. I'll settle for that.

Rich bastard

There's deffo a balance to be had. My mate's brother in law is a partner in a London law firm. He's in his early 40s but gets palpitations. They live in a 600k house in the Wirral but he spends the week in London and commutes home at the weekend. He's giving his kids a cracking life no doubt, they have good holidays and all the rest of it, but I'm sure they'd rather have him.

I think there's a plateau when It comes to having money in England after which you don't really notice much difference in your lifestyle, unless you're into the idea of having a shitload of cars, indoor pool and all that bollocks, but I think if you've got a decent house in a safe, quiet area, can afford holidays and a car etc I genuinely don't know why you'd want any more than that. I think in other countries, the States for example, the difference between wealth and extreme wealth is much wider in terms of what kind of lifestyle you can have, and how people react to that wealth and treat you, here - not so much.

Ive met lots of people who are well off, I have family members who would fall into that category, and I have no problem with that. Ive also, through my job, had dealings with people who are filthy rich. I can say without fear of contradiction that filthy rich people are fucking horrible, arrogant in the extreme and just seem to me to be mean spirited and nasty.

I`m with manwiththestick me. Enough is as good as a feast.

There's deffo a balance to be had. My mate's brother in law is a partner in a London law firm. He's in his early 40s but gets palpitations. They live in a 600k house in the Wirral but he spends the week in London and commutes home at the weekend. He's giving his kids a cracking life no doubt, they have good holidays and all the rest of it, but I'm sure they'd rather have him.

I think there's a plateau when It comes to having money in England after which you don't really notice much difference in your lifestyle, unless you're into the idea of having a shitload of cars, indoor pool and all that bollocks, but I think if you've got a decent house in a safe, quiet area, can afford holidays and a car etc I genuinely don't know why you'd want any more than that. I think in other countries, the States for example, the difference between wealth and extreme wealth is much wider in terms of what kind of lifestyle you can have, and how people react to that wealth and treat you, here - not so much.

Here's one I made earlier, from the Work - Life balance thread. The bit in bold highlights your point:

I think I have mine about right. I'm contracted to work 35 hours a week (0930 - 1730) but if the job demands it I work more; often I'm here at 0830 just because I'm already up. It takes me 15 minutes to get to work on the tram so I don't have a long commute and that's a huge bonus for me. I'd like to be paid a little more, but who wouldn't?!

I have enough time to get things done in an evening, be that spending time cooking, reading, watching a bit of TV or fitting in a little private work.

The girlfriend is a teacher and her job is much more demanding, she always has books to mark and lessons to plan in an evening but it's a lot better now then it was a year or two ago. She tends to spend an hour or two each evening doing something and a few hours at a weekend and it can be frustrating but it's not a bad situation really.

I may have mentioned this on here before but I read a book by Daniel Pink called A Whole New Mind which has a section in which it gives an average salary at which people are found to be happiest. I seem to recall it being around £25 000, above which, apparently, money can have no discernible improvement on your way of life. He argues that people who earn more often have bigger, more expensive houses and cars, two cars instead of one and so on which often consume the additional money they earn. Granted, there are perks, more holidays etc, but as a proportion of what they earn their outgoings are often higher than someone on a lower salary and they have more stress and financial concerns as a result.

As another crude rule of thumb, I earn more an hour than my girlfriend, who is on a significantly better wage than me, when you factor in all the extra she does and that includes incorporating the 13 weeks holiday she gets a year.

Spent the weekend with Lady Dangerously's french family by Paris. They operate on a different level to us. Don't bat an eyelid at a €12 pint or a €5 espresso. Her uncle is a pretty famous actor in France and we went to his house, kinell, mansion on the edge of a nature reserve. Amid his small trinkets and pictures of him and various celebrities just happened to be an Academy Award he won in 1992. Casually on the mantle piece. I drank his beers and beat his son at ping-pong.

Me and the missus had a fair old bit of disposable income for many years, but it's not important how much you have as long as you can get what you need and some little spends on top. Personally speaking I'm much happier doing a job I love and earning a third of what I was. Different for everyone though.

Spent the weekend with Lady Dangerously's french family by Paris. They operate on a different level to us. Don't bat an eyelid at a EUR12 pint or a EUR5 espresso. Her uncle is a pretty famous actor in France and we went to his house' date=' kinell, mansion on the edge of a nature reserve. Amid his small trinkets and pictures of him and various celebrities just happened to be an Academy Award he won in 1992. Casually on the mantle piece. I drank his beers and beat his son at ping-pong.[/quote']

Have we heard of him?

I like watching some French cinema so he might have been in something ive seen.

I want to live in a different world!!!

I want a better class of misery!!! ;-)

But why? Is it because you know some people that live in that 'different world' and they seem happier than you, have things you dont have or because mixing with them makes you feel that you cant compete/ that you're the poor relation?

I have friends with a range of different lifestyles, shall we say, some of whom to my mind are pretty well off, kids go to private schools, go on expensive holidays etc but when it comes down to it the people I like best and are most comfortable with are the friends who live close by, who live in a similar home to me, have similar jobs and with whom I feel I can share pretty much anything knowing that they are on the same wavelength

But why? Is it because you know some people that live in that 'different world' and they seem happier than you, have things you dont have or because mixing with them makes you feel that you cant compete/ that you're the poor relation?

I have friends with a range of different lifestyles, shall we say, some of whom to my mind are pretty well off, kids go to private schools, go on expensive holidays etc but when it comes down to it the people I like best and are most comfortable with are the friends who live close by, who live in a similar home to me, have similar jobs and with whom I feel I can share pretty much anything knowing that they are on the same wavelength

Don't get me wrong, I'm a happy chappy now and we know how lucky we are. We've got a new baby, nice house and decent lifestyle. It's just Id like to be a multi millionaire too. I don't think money would fix anything, it'd just open up lots more opportunities for us to travel, experience things we can't now because we have to work to pay the mortgage. Imagine being able to jet off anyway at any time, treat your family and friends etc. If I had £500m I know none of my close friends would ever work again.

money rich, time rich, or life rich?

Let's ask Rich.

I just mean the amount of money. One can live a quality life without quite being "rich" as per. However time rich is a good point. How about being filthy money rich but you have AIDS....