You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Carra's last season?

fowler9

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolute legend and probably my favourite LFC defender ever but I think Coates is better than him now. The only reason Carra is getting so much game time ahead of him is because this is his final season IMO. I'm more than happy for him to play as many games as he can before he retires because he's been great under Rodgers.

I don't think Coates is better than him at all, but Coates has time on his side.

If he goes on to be half the defender Carragher has been for us, he'd be able to say he was a massive success here.

Theres no doubting Carra is a legend and has been a great defender for years but I do feel a lot more comfortable with Coates in the side than with Carra, I think Brendan is giving Carra a number of token appearances due to who he is which I don't like to be honest, save that for if we get to a point where there is nothing to play for (hopefully won't happen either like)

It's a matter of opinion of course, but I disagree. I think Carragher has played very well whenever he's started a game this season. He's pretty much cut out launching the ball and bar a couple of hiccups where players have done him for pace, I don't think he's put a foot wrong.

The problem is, Carra is our only defensive bench warmer, if Coates is being sold (he's defo out of favour, and once again it'll be a sell to buy policy come January)

Carra is the perfect bench warmer behind the back four, with Lucas still injured. He has to keep playing.

Theres no doubting Carra is a legend and has been a great defender for years but I do feel a lot more comfortable with Coates in the side than with Carra, I think Brendan is giving Carra a number of token appearances due to who he is which I don't like to be honest, save that for if we get to a point where there is nothing to play for (hopefully won't happen either like)

He's doing that in a way. Carragher's only playing in the league when the game's won and then Brendan brings him on for 10 minutes. The downside to that is he's a waste of a place on the bench in a tight game, or when we're chasing a game.

In terms of next season, if he wants to get into coaching here then a good starting block would be working with Inglethorpe in the reserves, or maybe coaching the under 16s or 18s. I think at first team level we could do with more experience on the coaching staff if anything and losing Steve Clarke was a blow. We can't just work on sentiment.

He will replace Brendan when the next job next comes up.

Surely he'd have to go and prove himself somewhere else first, like Sami's doing at Leverkusen.

You look at the Mancs and all these legends who've gone into management and been heralded as Ferguson's successor (Bryan Robson, Roy Keane, Steve Bruce etc) but none of them have been up to much. Managing Liverpool is nobody's birthright, you've got to have the right credentials and experience. I don't think Rodgers has got that tbh, but he's here now. If he left any time soon i'd rather avoid the novice route. A Carragher or Hyypia could be a great manager for us one day, but they'd need to learn their trade first, or they'd have no chance.

Carra is our 4th best central defender right now. If we don't sign anyone else he could stay another season to be used very sparingly, with Coates becoming the clear back up. But I think we will get another central defender in and Carra will be phased out. If he joins the coaching staff I would not be against that. It's a big step after that to say someone is future manager material. Maybe we will establish the boot room again, and Carra will come through the ranks, years down the line? More realistically we will bring our next manager in from the outside. Hyppia is doing well in Germany. Maybe he could feature back here one day? Anyway, Rodgers has a lot to achieve here, so hopefully all of that is years away.

Lucky Pierre already did the joke' date=' and it wasn't funny then.

£80-90 thousand means just that: £80,000 to £90,000.

Haven't got time for this.[/quote']

Either way you were well off the mark.

He was on arounn £45k a week. Was offered a deal by Rafa rhat only extended his length of contract and not his wages.

It was not until Purslow put that contract on the table in the summer of 09 thatbhis wages increased. And deservedly so.

Either way you were well off the mark.

He was on arounn £45k a week. Was offered a deal by Rafa rhat only extended his length of contract and not his wages.

It was not until Purslow put that contract on the table in the summer of 09 thatbhis wages increased. And deservedly so.

What's he on now then? His contract was signed in late 2010 so i'm not sure why he'd give him a big pay rise at that point. Whatever he's on now is a lot of money for someone who only comes on when we're 3-0 up. I'd agree he was underpaid under Rafa if that's what he was on, but it doesn't mean he should be overpaid now. I don't begrudge him the wage but I don't know what the fuck Purslow was playing at.

Maybe we will establish the boot room again, and Carra will come through the ranks, years down the line? More realistically we will bring our next manager in from the outside. Hyppia is doing well in Germany. Maybe he could feature back here one day? Anyway, Rodgers has a lot to achieve here, so hopefully all of that is years away.

Sami as a future manager with Carra as assistant manager, and maybe Didi as first team coach and Robbie coaching the strikers. I can dream.

He's a guy that never should leave Liverpool, and we shouldn't let go of him. He deserves what he is getting, and should get a new contract.

He is still our vice captain, and a vital part of this team, and i can only think of how much he has helped players like Kelly, Flanagan, Wisdom, Agger, Skrtel, Coates and other youngsters that have played in our back four.

We need experience and players who knows how to get things done, and Carragher is certainly a man with a winning mentality.

Surely he'd have to go and prove himself somewhere else first, like Sami's doing at Leverkusen.

You look at the Mancs and all these legends who've gone into management and been heralded as Ferguson's successor (Bryan Robson, Roy Keane, Steve Bruce etc) but none of them have been up to much. Managing Liverpool is nobody's birthright, you've got to have the right credentials and experience. I don't think Rodgers has got that tbh, but he's here now. If he left any time soon i'd rather avoid the novice route. A Carragher or Hyypia could be a great manager for us one day, but they'd need to learn their trade first, or they'd have no chance.

Seemed to work out alright in 1985? But I agree he needs to cut his teeth somewhere. Unless he does it with an adviser like in 1985?! Now who could be that adviser?

Seemed to work out alright in 1985? But I agree he needs to cut his teeth somewhere. Unless he does it with an adviser like in 1985?! Now who could be that adviser?

In 1985 Liverpool were a well-oiled machine on and off the pitch and Kenny had the best advisor he could possibly have helping him.

In 2012 Liverpool are still a bit of a shambles on and off the pitch. Something that has already made things difficult for a novice manager in charge now (who at least has a few years experience in management but still shown an awful lot of naivety). Carragher - or anyone else - needs to cut his teeth somewhere, and learn his trade otherwise he'd be on a hiding to nothing. Sami's doing that now in Germany.

I dislike the notion that the club 'owe' something to a player. We paid them millions, tens of millions, of pounds and that makes us quits in my book.

When a player is hitting marks like 100 England caps, or 600 club appearances, then that's always a good indicator that they're at the very end of their career, unless it's a goalkeeper.

Ruthless. It's the best way, give it to them straight, and start to have a bit more respect for the club who ends up paying millions out because we've got a nostalgic fetish that needs to be satisfied. We didn't fight half as hard, or make half the racket to keep Hyypia, or Hamann, etc.

I'd like to see Carragher on the staff though, I think he talks a good game and knows whata good player is and should be doing, though he wasn't always able himself to do it the way he would have liked. He knows he wasn't Baresi or Maldini, and that's a good trait when you recognise what makes a world class defender, and can coach a player to achieve that.

As for manager, not sure he's tactically sound. I think we'd be 442, but I might be doing Carra a disservice there. I'd like him to take over the u18s or something first.

I dislike the notion that the club 'owe' something to a player................etc

A good post.

But I think it would be wrong to make assumptions about how he would play.

Carra’s greatest strength is also his greatest weakness. He knows the club as well as anyone, only Gerrard is his equal. Yet he is painfully short of a broader football education. Guardiola managed it, but at a club whose foundations were considerably more robust.

A good post.

But I think it would be wrong to make assumptions about how he would play.

Carra’s greatest strength is also his greatest weakness. He knows the club as well as anyone, only Gerrard is his equal. Yet he is painfully short of a broader football education. Guardiola managed it, but at a club whose foundations were considerably more robust.

Guardiola also spent two years in Italy as a player because he wanted to learn a different culture, so he'd got that extra bit of an education. The crucial thing with Guardiola with Barca is as a player he learnt from the master in Cruyff and used that in management. When he took over Barca the way of playing was defined - unlike here where we go from one extreme to the other - and he had the likes of Messi, Xavi and Iniesta.

When we talk about the old boot room we're talking about football geniuses and you were learning from the very best, so you couldn't get a better education. I'm sorry we didn't keep Sami on as a coach, but he'll be a better coach for what he's doing in Germany because he's really testing himself and getting an education somewhere else, and hopefully he'll be back here one day as a top coach and a potential manager. I think that's what Carra needs to do if he's got aspirations to be a manager here. If he just wants to be a coach then fair enough.

Carragher was a coach at the academy for a while, when he was doing his UEFA B badge. I remember seeing an interview where he said, he didn't have the patience for the coaching side of things and that he jibbed off the academy stuff as soon as he passed. Whether that was just the kids or not, I don't know. I reckon he'll go into the media side of things.

I fecking hope so. Never understood the fascination with him, frankly. After all this time my most distinct memories of him are:

1) Zola putting him on his arse

2) Screaming at Arbeola on in front of goal and generally acting like a fecking child until Xabi calmed him down. One of the most disgusting things I've ever seen from a Liverpool player on the pitch

3) Taking the piss out of every Liverpool fan by inviting best mate Mickey Owen for his testimonial at Anfield. And what the fecking hell is he still doing here after a testimonial.

Twice this year he couldn't be arsed to congratulate Suarez after a goal. Can anyone imagine him attracting foreign players to the club, ffs???

I can see him managing Tranmere in league 2 or Scunthorpe. Liverpool Football Club? Never.

Yeah, he's a servant. So was Ronnie Whelan, and he actually won things. Whatever Carragher is on is too much, althought I reckon he should play tonight against his best mate England's Michael Owen.

They know each other, after all.