You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Carra

This.

Love the man. Fantastic player for us over the years, nothing will take that away. At the moment we need to look to the future, and unfortunately, Carra cant go on much longer. Coates was a future orientated purchase, so now that we have nothing to lose, give the kid a go.

I just want to see the youngsters get a chance because we need to know if we can rely on them. Obviously people look at it more sentimentally because of everything Carragher's done for us as a player, but we've got Coates, Kelly and Wisdom coming through and they're going to need games. Coates may as well get them now while Agger's out. If Carragher was still reliable then it'd be different, but he's making far more mistakes this season than he ever has in the past, so it's time to blood the youngsters. If they make mistakes then they can either learn from it, or we can realise whether they're ready or not.

Well, the jury's still out on him. He does have a few errors in him (prime example being losing possession to Stoke in the League Cup),but what I liked was that he didnt let that get him down and he put a strong performance in the second half, although that could be due to Carra being subbed off (correct me if I'm wrong?) and playing with a calmer Skrtl (Hey, I love Carra, but it cant be good for your nervers having him screaming incoherently at you in a language you havent come to grips with as yet).

Its best that he plays now, and irons out those flaws in his game, rather than stagnate on the bench.

I've noticed a much calmer tone in our defence without Carra and its helped us a lot.

Sometimes all that shouting can project nervousness rather than calmness.

Carra was finished as a quality defender at the start of 2009/10 season.

This is a reflection of how the club talks the talk in terms of tradition and quality but no longer walks the walk.

Would Carra have survived beyong then (or even up to then) under Shanks or Paisley?

Carra was finished as a quality defender at the start of 2009/10 season.

This is a reflection of how the club talks the talk in terms of tradition and quality but no longer walks the walk.

Would Carra have survived beyong then (or even up to then) under Shanks or Paisley?

in your opinion. Which is wrong, in my opinion.

For the record, Shankly kept hold of some old players long after they had reached their sell-by date. I don't think Carragher has been anything like that.

In my opinion Carra is past his best. Been a great servant for the club and the guts he showed in Istanbul will be one of my greatest memories of him. For me he will always be a legend. He has given us his whole playing career and we have been happy to accept it. Can't ever remember him giving less than 100% in any role he has been asked to play. Not sure if his continued presence in the squad is tied in with his future role - maybe we are just keeping him around to plug any gaps for the rest of the season.

I would really like to see Kelly given a run if Agger is out for a while. I think he has real quality but does lose his concentration from time to time.

Reina should of cleared JC and Van Persie out for the first and he got beat near post on the 2nd

He took half a step forward, on the tele it looked like an easy gather for the keeper... Maybe I'm wrong, not arsed to watch replays of that again...

I just want to see the youngsters get a chance because we need to know if we can rely on them. Obviously people look at it more sentimentally because of everything Carragher's done for us as a player, but we've got Coates, Kelly and Wisdom coming through and they're going to need games. Coates may as well get them now while Agger's out. If Carragher was still reliable then it'd be different, but he's making far more mistakes this season than he ever has in the past, so it's time to blood the youngsters. If they make mistakes then they can either learn from it, or we can realise whether they're ready or not.

I'm hoping Coates gets some league minutes in with Agger out, and Wisdom, Flanno and Robinson gets some game time in the Europa next season, with Kelly hopefully playing centre half, as that to me seems to be his natural position (I fear for the boys hamstrings, he's quick, but it looks like he's about to tear one at any time).

Carra can be old reliable ready to fill in where needed, we can do with his passion and wealth of knowledge at the club, but we need to blood the youngsters or we'll see more Ayalas and San Joses.

Reina stays on his line too much if you ask me, he should of took the ball and player for the first goal

Reina pre 2010/2011 used to rush players all the time, although he always had a tendency to flap at high balls, I used to be a lot more confident in his ability to deal with that.

Maybe it's a confidence issue?

Or maybe the "English Style" introduced by Mike Kelly and the hodge is a bit difficult to shake?

I miss 2008/2009 Reina...

• 3 weeks later...
He`s finished.

He shouldn`t even be squad player, he`s become a liability. Pay him up and move him on, no room for sentimentality, just buy someone better.

Isn't that what the club used to do so well? Remember Emlyn Hughes being sold to Wolves as soon as his legs had gone.

Yet it was Skrtel who conceded the penalty?

Christ. Straw clutching at best.

Nicely ignoring the two ass-saving tackles Skrtle made to keep the score respectable?

Carragher is finished. He was two years ago. If he played much this season he would have given away a fuck load of goals like he did in the season he gave away 4 penalties or something.

Isn't that what the club used to do so well? Remember Emlyn Hughes being sold to Wolves as soon as his legs had gone.

The thing is Kenny was as ruthless himself in his first stint, remember he pretty much bombed out Neal and Kennedy and soon as he took over but sadly he seems to lack the ruthlessness needed to do it anymore.

The thing is Kenny was as ruthless himself in his first stint, remember he pretty much bombed out Neal and Kennedy and soon as he took over but sadly he seems to lack the ruthlessness needed to do it anymore.

Kenny has benched Carra half the season. He didn't get back in the team until Agger (inevitably) broke down again.

TBH, both could of done better, both are to blame..... KD picked them he is ultimately responsible for any of the goals, he picked the players.

Skrtel as be piss poor for the last few games, to the point.... I'm beginning to thinking he looking for a move in the summer. (wanting out)

He`s finished.

He shouldn`t even be squad player, he`s become a liability. Pay him up and move him on, no room for sentimentality, just buy someone better.

This, except the fact we don't really need to buy someone. We have a fantastic defender in the making warming the bench for a hasbeen to play out his last swansong, it's beyond ridiculous. Don't really blame Carra for wanting to play on, it's always hard quitting what you love (and has been pretty good at). Look no further than the manager for this conundrum though. I fear Kenny hasn't got the balls to make the difficult decisions that has to be made (i.e axing Carra and Henderson - maybe even Carroll, and putting Gerrard out right). If any of the first two play for us again this season I will gladly back the sacking of Kenny, legend though he is. Shelvey and Sterling made more positive contributions for us today in 22 and 10 minutes respectively than Henderson has done all season. Shelvey will be a star for us in CM if Kenny dares to put Gerrard out wide.

Team for the rest of the season:

----------Pepe--------------

Kelly-Skrtel-Coates-Enrique

Gerrard-Shelvey-Spearing-Downing

---------Carroll--Suarez-----

Bellamy plays instead of Downing or Carroll when he gets back. Johnson (or Flanagan) plays instead of Kelly when he breaks down, Agger comes back in instead of Coates if he returns this season. Flanagan, Robinson and Sterling should continue to get game-time before the end of the season.

Should be told to find new clubs:

Aurelio (I think he's great, but Enrique/Robinson has us covered)

Henderson (let's just be brutal about it, he's never gonna make it here)

Adam (torn about this one, he has certain qualities, but anything he can do, Shelvey can do too)

Kuyt (glad that he's gotten a trophy with us, he's deserved a bigger one, so hopefully we can raise our game - cup team as we are - to give him a proper sendoff)

Carra (sorry, but it's better to have him removed, as him hanging around will always be a bother. A clear cut may be the best thing, we will need a proper rebuilding job anyway).

Maybe:

Carroll - if he somehow can string together a run of games we will see if there is something there to build on. Personally I don't think so, but he hasn't exactly been managed brilliantly either. Problem is if we sell him, we'll need at least two strikers/forwards this summer, and as we will probably be shopping on the lower shelves, we might as well try to use him to get us a higher league placing so that we can attract some proper talent the summer after.

Whichever manager in charge next season should also be told to make a statement by removing the armband from Gerrard. A more pitiful "captain" than he impersonates now you'd be hard pressed to find. He'll still score and set up the goals he does now without it, and that way someone like Lucas can provide us with the leadership we desperately need. If Agger could stay fit he would be an alternative too.

Kenny has benched Carra half the season. He didn't get back in the team until Agger (inevitably) broke down again.

He didnt bench him as such tho did he, Carra was a fixture until he got injured and then the great form of Agger and Skrtel kept him out.

Without the injury he`d never of been dropped.