You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Villa away match thread

fowler9

Good solid performance. Not our best but we've played better and come away with only a draw at times this season.

Again, same as always, our approach play is fantastic but its just not coming off for us.

Our 2 goals came from corners but we could have had 5/6 from open play.

The floodgates are bound to open eventually.

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You really cant overstate his importance to the side. Not just defensively but what he contributes to our tempo, posession and ability to play out of defence.

Agger is the single most important player to how we play tactically.

Think that is somewhat over stating it. Our defence has been as solid as it's ever been for a while though I agree with that.

Downing the biggest disappointment. Just seems to have a complete lack of belief in his own ability.

Some of the decisions he made today was just unbelievably poor, not sure what to say about him to be honest, but to say he has been disappointing so far would be an understatement.

Seeing as I'm still here : our attacking concerns me. But if we can manage to get the goals we need and stay as solid at the back as we are doing I'm not complaining. Would rather that than scoring loads but conceding loads too.

There's nothing particularly wrong with our buildup and approach play (except on the break, where our players suddenly turn into headless chickens), but it is our piss-poor shooting that is the main culprit.

Guest davelfc

Adam was fortunate (with the ref) to stay on the pitch, another day he would have walked. Bellamy booked for nothing.

But a clean sheet, no injuries and a win without breaking a sweat all make it sweeter and will no doubt help with the coming xmas fixtures.

Good away win...

Adam needs to work on the defensive side of his game... And for the second time this year he went for glory instead of passing to a better placed teammate, which I found disappointing. In another game that could have had consequences...

Defensively I thought the back four were solid..

Gained 2 points on Newcastle and Chelsea, and now hopefully 3 points on tottenham and arsenal as well..

Some of the decisions he made today was just unbelievably poor, not sure what to say about him to be honest, but to say he has been disappointing so far would be an understatement.

I didn't think he had a bad game today. He was often the out ball, and he kept play moving. A bit of recalibration required I think. If Kuyt had put that performance in some people would be shouting for him to be man of the match.

There's nothing particularly wrong with our buildup and approach play (except on the break, where our players suddenly turn into headless chickens), but it is our piss-poor shooting that is the main culprit.

We need a finisher to stand a real chance of making the Champions League this season, and I hope we can find the money to do that.

Even if it means cutting our losses with Carroll, who when he came on, didn't do anything wrong. But at our best, we don't need Andy Carroll, we need a finisher, an out and out finisher.

Luis Suarez should have 40 goals already this season, how unlucky. His skill and all round greatness deserves more. Very impressed with Shelvey and Henderson looks a different player in CM. Thought Johnson was excellent as was Bellamy who was a deserved man of the match.

I think we could pass better in the final third as we build up the last part of our attacking quite often, but yeah our shooting has been bad too much. Hopefully with extra confidence and creating better shooting chances more often we'll get that sorted.

If Stevie had had the chance to play a decent few games with Luis in a more attacking role that could've worked brilliantly, but with some luck some other players will step up and help us improve instead.

No he isn't.

When he has a run in the side we go places. The last time he had any sustained period of playing was when we reached Athens.

Have a lok at how we play when he's missing. We can't play it out from the back and struggle for control. His ability and confidence to step out doesnt just set up attacks and commit opposing midfielders, it sets a mentality and a tone.

So underrated as a player.

We need a finisher to stand a real chance of making the Champions League this season, and I hope we can find the money to do that.

Even if it means cutting our losses with Carroll, who when he came on, didn't do anything wrong. But at our best, we don't need Andy Carroll, we need a finisher, an out and out finisher.

Yeah, Carroll is not going to give us what we need, unfortunately. We could do with Gerrard back as well to covert some of the longer range efforts that our other players send into the stratosphere. Seriously, we hardly even get the shot on target from the edge of the box.

He's not very good, but he's much better than what we're seeing.

Need to sign a winger/wide midfielder in January. Kuyt and Henderson are poor there, and Maxi seems out of favour for some reason.

Defence is absolutely solid although not tested as Villa were poor.

I found myself giving dogs abuse to some of our players in the second half as I was very nervous that they would get two scrappy goals near the end.

But some of thme deserved it, particularly Downing. Shit, did we really pay £20 miliion for him?. Not ony was his decision making shockingly poor he was a turd shithouse when challenging Villa players.

My biggest cause of increased blood pressure was the amount of possession we gave away and it wasn't only one individual.

Liked the look of Shelvey in that supporting role. Luis was frustating and magic in equal proportions.

Enrique best signing of the season. Take a bow. Breeds confidence and calm. Merson was saying yesterday City bags should have bought him rather than Clichy.

Guest ShoePiss
When he has a run in the side we go places. The last time he had any sustained period of playing was when we reached Athens.

Have a lok at how we play when he's missing. We can't play it out from the back and struggle for control. His ability and confidence to step out doesnt just set up attacks and commit opposing midfielders, it sets a mentality and a tone.

So underrated as a player.

Only an idiot doesn't rate Agger, it's always been the obvious fitness problems. We should see the best of him over the next 4 years hopefully.

He's the best we have.